1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

question about an old game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SHOme1289, Jun 10, 2015.

1. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed ~2000 - 2001

I have the game on a CD, an old copy of the original that I got as a gift back in the day...I have it as an ISO now on my computer, the copy of the disc that I have physically is pretty badly scratched...

I mounted the .bin to Alcohol, and tried to get the autoplay or installer or setup or something to come up, changed compatibility to XP, 2000/ME, etc and nothing shows up....in task mgr, the setup.exe is running in several instances so I close them all and try to run as administrator. Cannot get it to actually START installing.

Im being nostalgic and would like to play it but its getting annoying. Any ideas?

2. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

3. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

Whats a VM with OS on it? I am decent with emulators...

google is my friend, trying out windows 98 VM now....downloading.

will see how it works, cuz theres a ton of games that I want to play lol nostalgia is kicking in

#3 SHOme1289, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  4. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

virtual machine with the needed os on it

in this case it looks like you'll need a VM with windows 95/98 (assuming the system requirements i found on the internet are correct)

5. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

yea I found THIS page with some good instructions...this should be good to at least get me going with Win98?

- - - Updated - - -

I got the Virtual PC working with Windows 98 running in (funny enough) a separate window, right-alt + right enter makes it full screen.....I am copying over the files from NFS that I want to play (Porsche and High Stakes) but I think I need to mount them, or something, is there a way to get a virtual drive on Win98?

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Depends on the VM.

Virtualbox allows you to add a virtual disk drive mapped to an ISO on the host OS, or even map the host OS's real optical drive.

7. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

hmm...
    I got the 98 to work, Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 is what I am using. Cant seem to drag and drop anything, I have the Bins and Cues and Isos that I want to start using but the drag and drop function just gives me the X when I hover over the 98 desktop. Been reading on that page above, plus other google searches, and I cannot seem to figure out why I cannot drag and drop...I actually was able to D+D a few minutes ago but now it wont let me...I got the virtual drives setup in Win98 (MagicISO) so i am able to mount on a virtual drive, how would I be able to "import" the iso's that I want? I figured I would ask here since there are a lot of computer guys on here...I dabble, im no expert tho lol thanks

8. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

16 bit installer. Awch.

9. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Had same problem for a month with NFS HS. You need to install the game with minimal services on boot.

Open Msconfig and start up with a diagnostic boot, this should help, you may need to go farther and use minimal services, however this shouldn't be necessary.

After launching with minimal services try to install it.

msconfig
    fa4522a95a.png

I swear I had to explore as far as one can go without using the deepweb to obtain only hints of this to get this to work over a year ago.

10. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

did you install the guest additions (or whatever virtual pc '07's equivalent is called, i forget)

11. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

so annoying, I cant get it to fully function....tried installing the graphics drivers from SciTech, however that doesnt seem to work as it causes a blue screen upon startup and shit, so its stuck on 640 x 480 res and looks like shit....cant get the internet or graphics or sound drivers to work either....

i just want to play my old games, why is it so hard? I used to have Porsche Unleashed installed on this win7 laptop however I cannot seem to figure it out for the life of me. The suggestion above about disabling all the startup items did nothing except make my laptop unusable lol

AWWW SHIT

PU is installing now...I downloaded nGlide and ran the setup as admin and in Windows XP SP2 compatiability, and it seems to be working....lets hope this works, then I can delete the annoying fucking VM.

AAANNNDD it loads up and gets to the title screen but then crashes....what the hell

#11 SHOme1289, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  12. kruleworld

kruleworld
    Expand Collapse

i've read some discussions that installing patch 1.3 helps to get Unleashed working better on some systems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice