1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Question about collisions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hati, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I noticed, and to be fair its not a difficult observation to make, that collisions with static objects are rather robust. The physics engine laughs at a car hitting a wall at 300mph and gives me as good a simulation as I could hope for. Try it with another car, and even at relatively low speeds I find the two things can get stuck together. A head on crash with a closing speed of over 100mph will more often than not end up with the two cars merged together, and sending the bruckell moonhawk into the back of the ibishu covet at 270mph resulted in the image attached. There's also an issue with running over detached car parts, they're guaranteed to get stuck inside my car.

What's the difference between the two scenarios that causes this? why are collisions between two vehicles rather sketchy and why is it almost flawless when I hit a static object? can you see any way to improve this? its kind of an annoyance because I already see demolition derbies cut short by the two vehicles being irreversibly glued together because the fender on the AI car is clipping through my car's engine. Not having a go, I'm just curious and want to know more on this.

Attached Files:

• ss (2013-09-26 at 11.30.05).jpg
  2. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

They don't get stuck to static objects because static objects don't have any physics. The collision of the cars relies on he nodes making contact. Sometimes the force is to much and it pierces the collision meshes... Same with RoR except not nearly as bad as it was before.

3. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Hati, if you haven't checked the collisions in RoR yet, this is a massive improvement. As Gabe would probably point out, even the Bolide can only pull half that speed, atm there is no need for the engine to handle such high speed collisions. Anyway, I think the issue is (wild guess here) that only nodes can collide with triangles, not beams or other triangles. So sometimes, if a beam collides with a triangle the node can go past and then get "stuck" on the back side of the triangle. Also for whatever reason the rear of the Moonhawk loves to eat cars. It also seems framerate can influence this issue. I never have collision issues on my desktop (except the Moonhawk rear), but my laptop loves to fuse cars together.
    screenshot_8.png screenshot_7.png screenshot_4.png

#3 pulley999, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  4. Cobra89

Cobra89
    Expand Collapse

Slow down....at the moment BeamNG is a Aplha.

Its a different between real and a game.... 2 cars need mutch of CPU...

One crash happen in a milliseconds. In this time must be calculated like itself a car misshapenly. How it reacts and mutch more...

Now I Would not like to presume. But I can fancy only hard one sells short such a thing to hundred percent.

One has to do it also anyhow possibly his the play with a good Pc can play.

The Crash Area´s have a lot more of the necessary arithmetic achievements. There we would dream only from.

and seriosly...if you drive in real life with 280 in a other car....thats the self result.....2 cars in only one big mass

#4 Cobra89, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  5. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Just to clarify, the 300mph example is an extreme example to exaggerate a point. but you need only be traveling at fairly benign (relatively) speeds for the collision issues to pop up. but like I said in the OP, you need only send 2 cars going 100mph into each other head on and they get merged with each other most of the time. Most cars can achieve that ballpark speed. Yes I understand the game is alpha, and yes I understand there's a vast improvement over RoR. Now I'm not asking for the game to handle 300mph crashes between 2 cars, because if you push anything to ridiculous extremes then bugs will show up in all physics engines. but 100mph? When was the last time you saw 2 cars collide head on and spin down the road as one object, irreversibly welded together? Yes its good, but it probably could be a lot better.

Either way, I was just curious why the collision meshes for static objects work better than the collision triangles tend to. but now I have my answer, kind of. If that is the case, why not make the collision surfaces only 1 way so things can be pulled apart even if they do intersect each other?

6. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Then you'd have issues where things need to be two side collisions, like carrying something in the boxtruck or collisions with the inside of a broke open door or a half-torn-off fender. I agree, cars fusing is a little frustrating but as stated the Moonhawk seems to have the worst of it, followed by the H45. A *kind of* way to mitigate it is to activate slowmo for the initial collision. Although making a setting tp define triangles to be one or two sided collision in the .jbeam may help in cases where the body of a car eats another. Or, maybe have it detect when a beam is intersecting a triangle and have it push the node out through the triangle like what happens if you spawn a car under the ground, but with another car.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Big issue is node based collisions. The collisions from vehicles are only based around the nodes, not the beams. The beams only deal with the forces between the nodes. With the nodes only being of finite size it is plausible that there are gaps in between where other nodes can get stuck, end result, cars wedged together.

8. kruleworld

kruleworld
    Expand Collapse

actually, they are not flawless. the cars can easily get stuck part-way through solid objects, even at low speeds (particularly sharp edges). I just accepted it isn't perfect yet and will be improved.

9. drakesdoom

drakesdoom
    Expand Collapse

The off road bumper on the pickup can easily get stuck on small trees. Also for the 100mph crash yeah the cars would be one piece at those speeds, most crashes happen at below half of prevailing traffic speed so you don't see a 100mph crash happen often in real life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice