1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Question About FOV

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Cardinal799, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I was just thinking of some way to make the game seem a little more "real" in terms of visuals. I know that FOV can have an influence on that, whether or not it may be "accurate". I know that it can be changed in the options, but what do you guys think may be a good FOV for, say, a cinematic shot? (Not exactly for a video though)

2. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

Really depends on what you want... I tend to prefer much wider FOV, always 90+ even 125+ in some situations.
    With 110+ FOV you can make the video or shot look like 'skate footage', you know, those really wide kinda round lens they use?

3. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I have played Skate 2 enough to know about the skating videos (I spent about 109% of the time bailing off of Hideki Tower though.)

I now remember why I asked this and thought of it recently. I was going home (not driving) and I was thinking about just how much I would be able to see, and I remembered, in Minecraft when I changed the FOV around, the lower FOV made everything appear to move by faster, and at *different* speeds depending on where the things were.

4. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

Yes, thinks at the edges of the screen will appear much bigger and thus seem to move faster. You can confirm this by maxing out FOV in minecraft, looking straight at something and then pan your camera so that the object is at the edge of the screen, it will look 2-3x bigger :)

This is to simulate how you see things in real life, you are not supposed to look at the edge of the screen (you aren't supposed to look around in game) and, if you play normally just looking at the center of the screen (like you would) you will find that a certain level of FOV will feel... nicer, more real and not disturbing. For me it's at around 95-110ยบ depending on the game and for my screen size and distance to it.

P.S. By 'looking around in game' I meant actually moving your head and looking at the edge of the screen instead of moving the camera with the mouse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice