1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Question: Could stock gamma settings be slightly off or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Brother_Dave, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

For some reason i personally always thought BNG colors looks slightly washed out. A while back i saw a comment from a user who lowered gamma for the same reason. Some days ago i came across a thread for T3D that touched the same subject (when switching over to deferred shading giving different bugs) but for T3D ofcourse.

I thought i could test it out since ive spent the last weeks trying to get hold of a contrast/saturation/vibrance shader for T3D to port to BNG and havent been that lucky. Did find added settigns for brightness and contrast adjustments but havent tried that yet. It does explain why T3Ds newer version have attributes for brightness and contrast in some shaders, FinalPassCombineP being one. That has janked my tail for a while.

Anyways, tried fiddeling with the ingame Gamma and tbh, it kind of gives a feeling that (and ive seen gamma being clamped at other values in BNG compared to T3D; 0.001, 2.5 respectively 2.0, 2.5 for example) gamma 1.0 in BNG is something like gamma 1.1? Makes alot of difference (in my humble opinion) for the saturation of colors, as it should but feels like vanilla is brighter than it should be? Im using gamma 0.85-0.9 now.

Another thing, gamma seems to be part of the graphics/postfx in a way i didnt expect. Thought it was some sort of overlay setting that lowered every pixel, after postfx, instead it is part of it as can be seen in the darker shots.

Comparison shots below. I do have my map settings and PostFx but the difference is still visible.

Pics are named with the below for clarification:

"Vanilla gamma" is Gamma 1, bone stock out the BNG box.
    "Gamma 0.85" is what i use now.
    "Low gamma" is obviously low gamma settings, shows that the bright spots doesnt get darkened in the same way as the rest of the image.
    "High gamma" is ofcourse the opposit.

Attached Files:

• VanillaGamma20190705-11104871.png
    • Gamma08520190705-11110765.png
    • LowGamma20190705-11112871.png
    • HighGamma20190705-11113922.png
    • VanillaGamma20190705-11163229.png
    • Gamma08520190705-11164043.png
    • LowGamma20190705-11164961.png
    • HighGamma20190705-11165512.png
    • VanillaGamma20190705-11184958.png
    • Gamma08520190705-11184182.png
    • LowGamma20190705-11185627.png
    • HighGamma20190705-11190227.png
    • VanillaGamma20190705-11211071.png
    • Gamma08520190705-11205964.png
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

In general, gamma in Torque3D is kind of a particular topic.
    I cannot tell you much about it, aside that's it's not linear gamma.
    Also dunno about the T3D comparison you are doing, as the T3D version you got probably has many differences with the game (reminder that the game forked several years ago, and we have made a lot of our own changes).

A lot depends from your monitor calibration too, that can easily make you perceive things in the wrong way
    Particularly pushing on this one: when I made that 'Sulaco Bay' level, I was using an quite horrid monitor, resulting in that map's colors to look dark and too saturated on any other decent monitor.

Said that, I find your 'Vanilla' screenshots to be darker than the actual game. That could be due your own level / postFX settings.
    Screenshots from actual Vanilla game:

Shadows should be not pitch-dark, as it looks like there's no ambient lighting, like the one coming from the sky (which is the one that gives that blue-ish color to them)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

The T3D was more of a sidenote as to what made me look at gamma to begin with. I understand taht youre far from what that is , now. I did get the Tonemapping running again using the finalPassCombineP code from the Techdemo (which shared that with T3D afaik) and more or less changed COLOR to SV_TARGET if remember correctly.

Yeah you can say that about monitors twice.. I changed from a really old monitor to a new 32" HDTV. Spent 6 months making reshade presets and PostFx presets thinking all was fine. Until i looked at my screenshots on my phone.. Since then ive turned off every filter on the TV and adjusted down every setting on it. I now constantly look at screenshots of my new PostFx presets on my phone and 3 different monitors at work to see that they match as good as possible.

I did have my own level sky and light setting active, also every PostFx mod ive made running so the screens werent fair from my side.

Heres everything vanilla and PostFx as off as it gets. Still get the feeling that its somewhat washed out at gamma 1.0. It looks like the colors come alive a few percent down from that (IMO).
    First is gamma 1.0, second is gamma 0.85 and last is gamma 0.6.

Attached Files:

• BeamNGdriveScreenshot20190705-18245243.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20190705-18231853.png
    • BeamNGdriveScreenshot20190705-18230621.png
  4. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

@Nadeox1 Would it be possible to test what gamma setting would be appropriate for my game/monitor, so to speak? So that i know that black is as black as it gets and so on?
    That or maybe add a visual gradient for the gamma, like those 'adjust until the black does not get any darker' for everyone to adjust accordingly?

5. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Monitor calibration is kind of a hard topic.
    There's usually specific hardware to calibrate monitors, but that's expensive for a private use.
    I don't think there's a fail-proof way without one of those, aside from guessing or comparing with a monitor/screen that's supposedly well-calibrated already.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice