Questions about level of detail

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by jammin2222, Feb 8, 2014.

1. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

If I had made the models in Blender then yes I think you would be correct as all the differing LOD levels are saved in a single .dae. Though I think you can still edit them in the shape editor.

Seeing as my different LOD's are in fact separate .dae files and the T3D shape editor is combining them I can simply edit the .cs file for each model to adjust the distance they change at. That's what I have been doing to adjust the distance, as each time I use the shape editor GUI to change the distance I have to then input the full file path to the low detail models in the .cs file again.
    cs info.JPG

I was thinking I could make separate maps for ranges of screen resolution, but I have never seen people doing this.

It also doesn't help that it seems to use the models origin and not the center of the model to work out the distance. As I made the city in 100 meter sections and the origin is in the bottom corner of each model it means that depending what side you approach it from the detail level will change at different distances. This makes it quite hard to get it right.

An example. on a section of overpass coming from one direction the LOD changes just before you drive onto it. coming from the other way it changes a good 100 meters before you get onto it.

I can't change the models origin in T3D can I? I know I cant use sketchup to do it because if i center the object over the origin so some of the model falls into -numbers, when I import it the collisions are out of alignment to the visible model.

Oh well, I will continue working it out at 1080p for now. When I'm nearer finishing I might have to adjust them all for a lower screen resolution and make separate versions. Or i might just set it up for small screen resolutions and deal with its being a bit laggy at 1080p

2. Doyle524

Doyle524
    Expand Collapse

Maybe you could try splitting that section of overpass into two objects so that the origin is closer to both sides of the bridge than before... just a suggestion from a total noob lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice