Questions about Materials and decals

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by jammin2222, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Hey all

Does anyone know how to make decals that don't revert back to NO MATERIAL when updating the game?

I have tried so many things including putting all the textures I want to use as decals onto an object and keeping it hidden in my map. I can't even make a new material from scratch as it reverts back to NO MATERIAL after updating.
    I have read the T3D documentation about decals and the material editor, but I can't get it to work.
    I am obviously doing it wrong but I can't see where I'm going wrong.

To clarify what I'm doing...

I made an object and covered it in all the textures I want to use as decals and put it my map.

I open the decal editor and click the "create new decal template" button

I give it a name and press enter.

I click the globe icon to open the material selector.

I pick my texture from the list and click "select"

I then click the save button in the decal editor and paint my decal.

I can reload the map and it will be there, but it will not be there after an update. The texture is there in the material selector, but the decal cant find it. I can reselect it, but it wont stick after updating again.

The same sort of thing happens when making a new material too.

I click "create new material" and name it.

I browse to the texture in my levels art folder.

I click the save icon.

After update its gone.

Could someone please kindly tell me how I get a texture I made into my map the correct way? what folder to put the texture in (I'm guess anywhere in my level/art folder), and what steps in the material editor I need to take to make a new material. Then what steps I need to take in the decal editor in order for the texture to not bugger off into NO MATERIAL land after updating.

Cheers guys

Video showing what I'm doing to create a new material and decal. Then showing its fine after reloading the game, but its gone when I update the game.

#1 jammin2222, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

open the editor as administrator because it seems it isn't able to write the files. Or just write the materials.cs file yourself.

3. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Do I do that by running the game as administrator or is it another program the game launches that I down know about? Sorry.

Well I ran the game as administrator and tried again, but still a big fat NO MATERIAL.

Is the editor a separate program?

#3 jammin2222, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  4. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

I think the problem is with the materials.cs file.
    Try setting up all the materials the way you want just like you did in the video, but before you update the game copy your materials .cs file/s somewhere like your desktop, then update the game. After the game is updated replace the materials.cs file in your level folder with the one from your desktop ( or where ever you put the old materials.cs folder ). Start BeamNG, and load your level. Are the textures there or does it still say No Texture?

Also have you looked on the Torque 3D forums at all? You might be able to find an answer there.

hope this helps, let me know what happens. Cool looking map BTW ;)

5. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

I strongly recommend making the materials with notepad/++ and then editing them with the ingame editor. This way you get them in the right place (building materials in a "buildings" folder etc).

6. gmaksi83

gmaksi83
    Expand Collapse

Hi, who know why I can't change vehicle color. I try to change in editor/materials and changed the color but when I reset the car the color reset to default to, after this I try to change in materials.cs but nothing happens but the value same in the materials.cs what I write in. No idea....

7. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

Make sure you press the little floppy disk in the materials editor to save your changes.

8. gmaksi83

gmaksi83
    Expand Collapse

Yes I purchased the save and nothing.
    And I change the value in materials.cs save and start the game but the color is same like the default. But the value same in the materials.cs what I write in

9. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

Thats strange, try updating the game and then try changing the color of your car again and see if it stays

10. gmaksi83

gmaksi83
    Expand Collapse

Ok I try this out, and thanks....

11. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

I used this fix that I posted in the "fix missing materials"-thread further down the forum.
    Worked for me:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice