Race AI

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by CarCrasher283, Dec 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CarCrasher283

CarCrasher283
    Expand Collapse

The racetracks in BeamNG are very nice tracks to race around, but, when you put AI on the tracks, they don't stay on the track, they go to the nearest road, or they go to a road while on the track.

So I was wondering if you guys could add a racing mode to the AI, which would only make them race on the track parts of the map. And maybe in the mode, the AI could have a better initial start for the race, so they don't spin each other out when one is trying to pass.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. ViroGamer

ViroGamer
    Expand Collapse

The best way to make a race without any mods currently is to set the AI to flee (They dont act like they are running away, they are like racers) and block all other roads. Sorry if I couldn't help you a lot.

3. CarCrasher283

CarCrasher283
    Expand Collapse

Flee doesn't do anything for racing, it tells them to go where ever, and if you pass them, they turn around. You cant block the roads either, they dont see it. And the AI control app is the best way to have a race if there were no other roads besides the track

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. danielr

danielr
    Expand Collapse

It's fiddly to setup and you'll need a powerful multicore CPU but BeamNG has great potential for awesome races. The detailed simulation of parts adds another layer to racing compared to other games. Especially in off-road or longer endurance races where a slower approach might be faster in the end. I'm sure improvements in racing are on the to-do list. This here is something new you might be interested in:

I haven't tested it but it seems like the feature is currently only working as a time-trail race, but I can see this becoming a tool in easy setting up races, either point to point or laps with AI.

To setup races at the moment you can use either ScriptAI or AI>random:

ScriptAI will give you a much better racing experience but it can be tedious to setup/record all the AI, especially the longer the race and the more cars you want to race against. Another thing to consider is no AI-awareness in this mode which can be frustrating or fun depending what you're going for.

AI mode random is easier to setup, just spawn a few cars or multiple with the multi-vehicle spawner and hit the radial menu "AI>random". The AI will be slower however, although with some awareness since recent updates. In the end it depends on how the decalroads are setup within the map.You can always go into the map editor, make you own decalroad around the track and set all other roads "driveability to 0 (the ones close to your circuit at least) to have AI racing that path only.

5. CarCrasher283

CarCrasher283
    Expand Collapse

I am aware of these, I use the AI control every time I race on a track with one path. I've used the script AI once on Hirochi Raceway, but they only go the distance you told them to. What I was saying that it would be much easier to have an integrated Race Mode in the radial menu, so that we can just set up AI and race without worrying about them being stupid with brakes, speed, cornering, etc. And with tracks with multiple courses, once you have the race mode on, you have to select which track you want them to race on.

6. ViroGamer

ViroGamer
    Expand Collapse

Actually, I tried on a race track and passes them, and they didint turn around. if there was another road to escape then they would go there if you pass them. Also if you crash the AI they will go opposite, like you said. Thanks for reminding me, Random may sometimes be a better option

7. racerwill86

racerwill86
    Expand Collapse

i agree this would be cool

8. l5o2k1s

l5o2k1s
    Expand Collapse

A purpose made race ai would be nice. But what i do in the meantime to get cars "racing" is to make a looping road, one way with 2 or how many left or right lanes you can fit and make sure that any roads that connect with it are set to drivability 0 or -1, it would be a pain to set all the roads on some maps to drivability -1. I use the traffic ai on the one way road. You can easily set the default ai "risk" level by changing beamng(install folder)\lua\vehicle\ai.lua - at line 27 "M.extAggression = 1.4" or whatever you want. They crash sometimes, but if you spawn race cars they stay on the roads better.

9. NeoSlx

NeoSlx
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it would be nice. Also haven't seen any scenarios for racing, except pre-set configs which can get annoying. I second this suggestion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice