WIP Beta released Douglas Rally (Freeroam Rally Stage).

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by Danny Werewolf, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking of using the trees_blocker mostly on sides of the forest where you can't see any other roads. I especially won't use it when two roads are super close, just to give the illusion of some roads being close and some roads being too far to see from the treeline.

2. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

Update on the game of 1/25/2019, including my FPS on this map W/ Rally Covet. (Specs In Description)

(FPS might be a bit lower then without recording OBS is slightly laggy.

• Like Like x 4
  3. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

It really has that gloomy vibe I was hoping for, I absolutely love it :D

My only suggestion is to make the track blend in with the ground if you weren’t already going to do that anyway :)

4. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

I'll be doing that later on, as I have no idea how to do that. Might go ahead and try changing the transparency on the edges in Paint.net or something.

Yeah, I have no idea how to. Either someone able to can try, or I can attempt using a different decal for it.

#24 Danny Werewolf, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

beautiful!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That looks proper forest, imo!

To make track blend, you can use same texture as road that you paint at edge of road, so that terrain is then where blending occurs, as you need to paint gravel under the path for it to have gravel properties.

So make path slightly narrower than road you want and use terrain painter to paint the road, also it might be possible to use transparent edges of path texture or completely invisible path if painting with gravel to terrain only.

I think there was gravel texture in vanilla content that had transparent edges which did blend quite well.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

I'll go ahead and try that. I bet that would work, with changing the smoothness. And I only used this decal because I really didn't feel like trying to find out what fixes the pathing for the textures (They broke once I ported them from ECUSA)

Also, update on the start ditch. For some reason, my mud-like sand started acting like metal, sparks and no depth. I might try again at it later on, as the start wasn't the best of corners anyway...

EDIT...
    So, when I tried using the decalroads in the terrain painter tool, this is what I get. (And other stuff, but no attempts blended the edges.

screenshot_2019-01-26_10-23-15.png

#27 Danny Werewolf, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  8. Skoops[FIN]

Skoops[FIN]
    Expand Collapse

This looks beautiful! Since I live in Finland, I have to say that there is a similarity to the twisty Finnish forest roads that are commonly used as rally stages. This will probably be one of my favourite maps to drive on when it's released. The last thing I want is to do is rush the work, I personally don't care how long it takes, aslong as it just doesn't die like a lot of threads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

Changed and added a shade of brown to the decalroad. How does this look? I think it looks better atleast.

Attached Files:

• screenshot_2019-01-26_11-30-43.png
    • Like Like x 7
  10. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

much better
    and im glad you are taking to the map making scene, its a very fun thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

Added a bit more to the map over the last day and this morning. Here's the update video.

Also cut down on a few trees, using blockers. Made sure the map actually works when in the mod folder (Pretty sure it does atleast. The one I'm recording on is in the mods folder)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

Did the video not work?

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

14. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to post a hopefully working video in a bit. I used fullscreen in that and I'm guessing OBS doesn't like that. I made a few small adjustments, so that'll be there too.

Cool thread. I might look into that more later on or with a second attempt at a rally map. I was more looking for tighter corners. This might as well be called an experiment anyway lol.

15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

They all are experiments and quite often they result something fun :D

Here is official data of ditch sizing:
    Distance between ditches 8 meters = ditch depth 0.6m
    Distance between ditches 11-12 meters = ditch depth 0.9m

Each meter between those adds 0.1m to ditch depth.

Usually angle of ditch 'walls' is 30-45 degrees.

Well, that all probably vary by area, but that is for area that receives good amount of snow and ground is quite moist, lot of swamps and gravel between the swamps.

Those are sizes of typical rally roads, also reason why cars get air time when hitting ditch, which is kinda soft, but also angles are such that it grabs car. Often ditches are covered by grass, so it is nasty surprise, sometimes large rocks which total car quite well etc.

Well, for future needs there is quite a lot for making rally maps like Jalkku's rally map for example it seems :D

16. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

Hang on, give me 10 years...

#36 Danny Werewolf, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

Haven't worked on the map until tonight, due to life and more life. Really glad GroundModels are now fixed, so I could get a result like this. I might use this more often/on another long corner because I can start fresh there.
    screenshot_2019-02-01_05-27-13.png

• Like Like x 3
  18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That looks proper rallying!

That map looks to become scariest in whole game, like real rallying, requires balls to drive fast, when you know that one small mistake can total the car.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

I'll just post these on Streamable from now on...

What do you guys think so far? Not the best of crashes on the mud section, but the screenshot above is tons better.

At the end, I was thinking of a Waterfall underpass. To my knowledge, this hasn't been done before. I was just curious if it's possible and wanted to try it.

I was going to add the top layer of water (Just another route of water same width) but I'm curious how/if this could look any better...

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mr.Bot

Mr.Bot
    Expand Collapse

From the over all videos and screenshots, this map will probably be really fun to play on! :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice