Random Computer Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BombBoy4, Jan 8, 2017.

1. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Well, I have a lot of questions, so let's get started...
    1st: What's the best overclock for an MSI RX 460 2GB? I've done research, but haven't found anything helpful.
    2nd: What's a good racing wheel under 100 USD? The best I've found is in bad shape because it's used.
    3rd: How often should a dust my computer? I'm thinking once a month, but that might be to often.
    3.1: What should I use to clean it?
    That's all for now, but I'll use this as my QandA thead.

2. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

well...

1st. overclocking seems to be possible to about 1300mhz

2nd. logitech g25 or g27 depending on what you can get cheaper

3rd. about once every 2-3 months should be enough.

3.1 i usually just get a hairdryer - i put it on cold and low power and blow the dust out of the case. obviously you have to open the case first.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

I use a camping footpump to clear out mine, it has a small nozzle and the jet of air that comes out does the job perfectly, last time I cleaned it was 4 months ago, my PC doesn't get too dusty as my mum has a no dust policy because she's very allergic - oh yeah and there's not much dust anyway because it's on a shelf :p

Not so fun fact - I didn't clean my old PC for 3 years and it was situated on the floor

4. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

yeah in the end it doesnt even matter that much.
    you can let a pc sit for years without cleaning and it will still run well enough.
    but the build-up of dust can cause the fans to run less effectively and therefore increase the temperatures a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Apart from the way that the heat in that PC caused the thermal paste to go dry - it idles at 50c.

6. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

that shoudnt happen too quickly.
    usually thermal paste should have a lifespan of at least 1-2 years. the temps or how much dust builds up in the case doesnt make much of a difference.
    when i removed my old motherboard and cpu (which were pushing 5+ years) the thermal paste on the cpu still looked alright.
    btw, that cpu ran overlocked for almost its entire lifespan - from 2.66 to 4 ghz.

7. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Thermal paste should last as long as you keep the heatsink on the CPU. I can prove this by referencing the following video.

If thermal paste wore down with use, you'd find that the abused card would run hotter, or slower. Which it doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

It was probably crappy cheap thermal paste, as it was a HP Pavilion which we got for a very cheap price. It's almost 7 years old now.

9. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

i agree, like i said the paste on my 5+ year old cpu still looked fine.
    after 2+ years the paste can get a bit dry in some cases but normally there should be no need to replace it.

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Its not really a card for overclocking, and polaris isnt giving good returns on overclocks (very poor stability shown on some RX480s).

11. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I managed a 65Mhz OC on the core and a 100MHz OC on the memory. Any further and it started to have texture glitches.

---Round 2---
    1. Any recommendations for a cheap and portable laptop? I'm thinking the Lenovo Miix something, but it never hurts to ask.
    2. How can I turn off my X360 controller from my computer? I can't take the battery out because I've taped it shut (it would turn off randomly).
    3. What's a good makeshift mouse pad? I'm using a big hardcover book, but the mouse sometimes looses control.
    4. Any uses for a Kindle Fire? The cheapest, newest one. I used it as an eReader until I noticed I had 3 apps installed to make it comfortable. One to dim the screen, one to sharpen the text, and one to turn off any other processes to save battery.
    5. How can I improve my ping/dnld/upld speeds for my rig? On my 2.4Ghz band laptop, I was getting 12/86/17, but on this, (it's connected via ethernet thru power) I get 39/42/3.

I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm curious ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice