RC Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by henryjhost, Feb 16, 2018.

1. henryjhost

henryjhost
    Expand Collapse

I'm in the middle of customizing a remote control car. Any tips and tricks for making new parts or painting? It's a 1/8 scale Ferrari 488 GTB

2. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

what brand is it?

3. 98crownvic

98crownvic
    Expand Collapse

Well, this might not be what you’re looking to do, but if you put Scotch tape around the wheels, then ya got a drift car.

4. JetPoweredMacintosh™

JetPoweredMacintosh™
    Expand Collapse

That's now on my bucket list xd

5. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I've had success with electrical tape for cheap drift tires on my TT-01 before, scotch tape didn't work great. The electrical tape tires worked good enough but don't compare to the the HPI drift tire set that came with my Sprint 2. I don't have much access to large smooth surfaces so the electrical tape tires are still useful since they don't get torn up like the plastic tires do. Another common trick is using something like a cut PVC pipe as drift tires.

What exactly is the RC car? The only company I know that makes a large scale Ferrari 488 is Maisto. I've always wanted to put a Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 in a large scale Maisto, but I don't have $80 to waste on a project that would last a couple seconds at best before snapping parts that I would need to 3d print or something to replace.

As for paint, I have no idea. Not really a fan of the base 488's ascetics. I personally would go with something like admiral blue if I felt like being reasonable or something flashy if I was feeling exuberant.

Light kits are an easy way to add a lot to the car. Making some parts like a wing could work well (A wing would be easy to buy alone or source from another kit, but most other stuff would probably need to be made yourself)

#5 ManfredE3, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  6. 98crownvic

98crownvic
    Expand Collapse

It’s darn fun.

7. galaxynote2

galaxynote2
    Expand Collapse

Here's an RC car with BeamNG sounds lol

8. henryjhost

henryjhost
    Expand Collapse

First of all, and don't be mad, it's a Maisto. But, it has a 6.4 volt lithuim ion battery and I got it at goodwill for $15, so, great project car ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I also have the ford gt version which I use for parts. I'm thinking something flashy that I can show off at my local field club in the parking lot. Here are some necessities: lighting(it already has headlights so maybe underglow or brakelights?), a wing and/or a splitter, and decent paint. The rims cant be changed so I'm not going to bother with that. Here are some pictures:

Attached Files:

• image1.jpg
    • image2.jpg
    • image3.jpg
    • image4.jpg
    • image5.jpg
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice