Real dirt physics like Spin Tires demo?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by ThreeDTech21, Oct 4, 2013.

1. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

In the Spin tires tech demo (will not post here) the vehicles get stuck in the dirt and there tires actually throw dirt and leave deep dirt tracks, is it possible to incorporate this like mud and such in BeamNG?

#1 ThreeDTech21, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG physics and Spin Tires terrain deformation would be a beyond amazing combination! I have never seen deformation like they have in Spin Tires in any other game, just guessing, but I bet they had to create some kind of custom engine to get that kind of detail.

3. SleepyPickup

SleepyPickup
    Expand Collapse

This is the first I've heard about such a game. I'm very interested/curious to say the least, I will be checking it out as soon as I'm done typing this lol.

But yeah, deformable terrain would be a pretty neat feature in Beam, I can only imagine how difficult that must be though.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy crap, I can actually play this on the laptop. 22fps....

4. Ownernator11

Ownernator11
    Expand Collapse

This would be good. The only problem is that it would be way too laggy on most computers.

5. JeremyP147

JeremyP147
    Expand Collapse

We shouldn't worry about lag, if devs keep making games to be compatible with out old tech, we will not get awesome new stuff.
    I already get lag when i spawn too many cars, so I will build a new computer.

6. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree! legacy tech should not hold back games

7. Killerchicken

Killerchicken
    Expand Collapse

Spin tires mud engine + beam ng softbody + red faction gorilla (?) Building demolish engine = ALL MY MONNEY

8. Ownernator11

Ownernator11
    Expand Collapse

I get your point. Also I think Red Faction has a similar system to Rigs of Rods and BeamNG with their structures. I saw a video of it some time ago.

9. raiderfan

raiderfan
    Expand Collapse

This one?

http://youtu.be/GQ6XM7NfGr8?t=35s

10. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

As far as i reckon, the building desctruction shloud be possible as Beamng is now, using beams. Only less deformation of parts unless these are metal structures. Windows should be the same, most other objects should just shatter and/or collapse when hit, say brick walls, different types of wood structures (poss. breakage) etc. Maybe not individual roof panels/bricks flying around but atleast shattered ones. Should be possible to create and add to a level in the same way you add vehicles or other interactable objects :rolleyes:

11. kruleworld

kruleworld
    Expand Collapse

i just checked out Spin Tires. Given that it does mud-bogging so well, i think offroading is something BEAMNG should stay away from. concentrate more one demo derby and racing stuff.

12. moussa247

moussa247
    Expand Collapse

Please search before posting, this has be mentioned many times.

13. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Dude! Love your Re-Volt avatar!

P.S. still play that game to this day! :cool:

14. wilder

wilder
    Expand Collapse

I can almost see this possible with the torque engine somehow code the terrain digging tool per tire and to work differently on different terrain for more or less pressure, and to leave a tire texture..... i can see this almost possible its just on what the what the developer wants to do..... But i would totally support this as even a extra DLC or whatever. :D

15. simon48

simon48
    Expand Collapse

This would be cool, but I think CPU power and the devs time should be focused on more important things (like they are) right now.

16. argilla11

argilla11
    Expand Collapse

I'm more interested in the tree physics. It's 2014, small trees don't need to be indestructible anymore.

17. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Easier said than done. Like I've said before, there are a multitude of features still missing before we can easily have destructible props: fixing nodes to the terrain, rotating physics objects/vehicles, and physics "sleep" for things that don't need to be simulated all the time. We also need some easy way to replace the current static mesh trees with node/beam physics trees, and also some way to replicate the wind effect that makes the meshes sway around.

18. argilla11

argilla11
    Expand Collapse

I agree, but LODs alone would open up a lot of new features that could be implemented including more N/B based props. Imo with better LODs and maybe even static nodes low poly trees could actually be a thing, but I'm more interested in having a system like what's displayed in the Spin Tires demo or perhaps similar to the tree system in StarForge.

19. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

We have LODs already (unless you mean physics LODs, which opens a can of worms the size of a galaxy)

20. argilla11

argilla11
    Expand Collapse

Yes I'm talking about physics LODs. I'm obviously not familiar with BeamNG's physics engine but I would have assumed that it wouldn't be too difficult to implement it. If you plan on progressing then it will eventually need to be added. Still the most important thing in the game is vehicle physics and optimizations and that's the only necessary thing that needs to be worked on, I wouldn't even consider these suggestions until the vehicle system is perfected.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice