Outdated Real-Time Vehicle Editor - Alpha 12 released ! New UI, icons, duplication, plenty of fixes, ...

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by GregBlast, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

Re: Real-Time Vehicle Editor - Alpha 11 and Wiki page

Oh okay, i can make it obj no problem.

Anyways if you can check my files let me know,i'm a n00b and it feels like nobody can help, once I get started though I'll be able to help all the other n00bs haa

2. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

Okay after a bunch of tries I got my model to show in the 3d editor, but I don't like how the slider works for the model scale, if the scale is set to 1.0 then the model should be scaled to its actual size shouldn't it ? IDK but the slider is really hard to use because you can't settle on an even flat number like 10.0 which seems to be the proper scale... SEEMS to be. However I get like either 9.834823492 or 10.234234 so its just never right.

Also there is no model shown in the other orthographic views like front left right top etc so that doesn't help much i think.

I think you got something going good here but its unusable for some reason to me, maybe im retarded idk.. but it just seems too shakey, i want it to work, i really do because i NEED it. :/

Also for the life of me, i cannot delete the damn nodes at all even using left ALT, they just don't do shit, after trying a few times the other day I was able to.

Sucks , also how to loop select with laso tool or something ?

Either way bottom line is your programming is really good, this is a complex program so don't take me wrong with my complaining, its really good.

3. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

1/ The model scale really depends on how you exported it. And what format you exported into. I can't determine what should be the proper scale while it can vary a lot depending on the exporter used. But if you are sure you have to use a scale of 10 in my editor then let me know how you exported. The flipramp I got to obj uses 0.1 and some others I could see are strangely scaled with 4.

2/ The scaling slider has been snapped so that you won't be able to select such weird scale values anymore (will be in next release).

3/ Model will be shown in all views in next release too. It's already in place. Please just wait for it.

4/ As for the node manipulation I changed a lot too to make the grid / snapping work better with the actual data loaded / saved. I dont yet have a lasso or rectangle selection and don't know if I can't ever make that myself. But you can select multiple nodes one by one while holding Ctrl and then move them all. I still need to make it able to duplicate a whole selection which is not working yet. And general selection and deletion has been improved as well. You will be able to hover a beam / triangle and press delete to delete it. As for nodes you still need to use Alt. But don't forget to select the Node cursor or you will probably not be exactly on the node and so you won't be able to delete it.

To let you know as you asked I also decided to use this:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dockpanelsuite/

Which will make it look something similar to this:
    6Xafn.png 6Xaoe.png

That is a full docking suite that I didn't make but I guess many users will find it pretty useful with all the different windows I have already. And you can put floating windows on your other screen etc...

4. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

awesome news man, thank you

5. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Oh wow, lot's has changed!

Just tried it out, my main interest is the click to create triangles, I love it.
    So much faster now, I get so bored of creating tri's in Notepad++, it's the most painful part of creating anything.

This just made my life so much easier, and the fact that it doesn't really mess Jbeam files up anymore.
    I still make a copy of my current folder, and create the tri's I want, then copy them over to my actual jbeam file, works great :)

Thanks for this, made my collision triangle placing so much easier, I got so sick of doing it manually.

EDIT: Just triangle'd a whole project that would have taken me hours. It took 10 minutes.

6. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

which really makes me wonder why the devs do it by hand , either they made tools to do it quicker or are just flat out wasting their time.

Either way greg, great work bud !

7. superyoche

superyoche
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I just got the editor but when I open an existing car/model from BeamNG, there is no model appearing in the 3D editor and all the nodes seem to be snapped to 0 (when looking at the Nodes tab, all the node coordinates are equal to 0, except sometimes a few nodes that have 1 on X, Y or Z).

Any idea what is happening? Is that a known issue?

For information, I tried different versions of the editor but the issue still appears. I've also got the latest .NET framework on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for your help!

8. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

Gabe spends 90% of his time fine tuning the jbeams. So I guess it's not really wasting time.

Great work Greg, floating/docking looks nice :D

It's nice that you still find time after working, you must really love programming :p
    I'm a hobby programmer, but I've a lot to learn. Never really tried C#/.NET either, but I know Java and C++, so it's just a matter of looking at specific documentation.

Anyway, thanks for considering what I've said. At first I thought you might disregard me because I sounded a little stupid, to myself.

9. kevinmce

kevinmce
    Expand Collapse

This tool is looking great! Nice work Greg! It already has more features than any previous RoR tool. Ill defiantly be trying it out soon!

10. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Thanks a lot to all of you !

I'm about to release that Alpha 12 version that will fix plenty of things and also add plenty of things. But I really want it to be as ready as it should be before I release. So it takes more time than I would have thought. But it should be here...soon.

@Drowsy:
    I will include the possibility to save files individually so that you can still do it from the editor if you're scared about your other parts. And playing around with nodes / beams / triangles...and now thrusters and cameras will be a lot easier in the next release. I included mouse pick for beams and triangles and you can delete beams by hovering them and hitting delete. Same with the triangles.

@superyoche
    I have worked a lot around the way things work in the 3D editor and fixed / improved a bunch of things about snapping etc... You'll always be snapped to a value but it can be very small so that you are still free to place your nodes pretty much everywhere. And this minimum snap (which is 0.01 in the editor and gives concrete values of 0.001 by default) will be applied to the vehicle existing nodes too. Which shouldn't mess with them because I don't think there exist any positions with 4 decimals. If it should be allowed please let me know. But it's easier for me to always snap. This ensures you always pick a valid point and can more easily pick an existing node and the created data will be retrieved correctly.

Also the grid has dramatically been improved along with that. I just need to be able to place it onto 3D models. It already can but not rotated. Would need the normals for that so I will probably not do this in that release though. But using the 3D cursor with 3D models is also good enough with a small snap. And the snap slider (to change the snap value) is working way better to make it easier to use.

Also I recently added duplication. And it can be configured from the right panel. So that you can specify which axes to duplicate on and hit a "Duplicate" button multiple times at once if you want. The key feature is to not duplicate existing nodes / beams when some duplicated ones end up onto existing ones. This is about right already but sometimes I still get weird results. But I think it can be good enough for another alpha release.

I said I would allow using multiple 3D models to serve as 3D patterns. Shouldn't take too long so I'll try to include that too. Basically if you export all your meshes into a separate obj / 3ds file I could allow you to select them to show them separately. This will greatly help you create your structure for each part individually because working directly onto 3D models with the 3D cursor is pretty fast. And with duplication it can make it even a lot faster.

Another very useful thing is that when you hover something (anything) I display the information about it belong the view title (below Perspective etc...). This includes the properties. So for example for a node I display its ID and position, but also nodeWeight, group, .... if they are specified.

I will also try to make some small tutorial videos to demonstrate all of that and take some screenshots once I'm done to complete my Wiki page. I can make a flyable flipramp in a minute with thrusters and some well placed cameras.

So that's still quite some work. But I'd like it all done before releasing. But still I can tell you that alpha 12 is no longer what alpha 11 was. Not from far.

11. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

Very cool job there GregBlast, Beam should hire you to be a part of their developement team.

12. Bisofication

Bisofication
    Expand Collapse

Why is the 3D model not loaded in the game , i mean when i spawn the car i don't see anything ....
    Maybe because it's made by 3DS Max and not blender ? Although i exported it as .DAE
    thanks . :) Untitled.png Untitled123123.jpg

#52 Bisofication, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  13. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

The editor is only meant to create jbeams. It only lets you see 3D models to make it easier. But I suppose you must link your dae meshes to the jbeams in the flexbodies. Have a look at the other vehicles within the editor to see how the flexbodies are defined.

- - - Updated - - -
    News about upcoming Alpha 12 release
    I just posted a demonstration video about the new user interface. Here it is:

More news
    Here are two small screenshots to illustrate the use of multiple 3D models and the status bar information.

Multiple3DModels.png
    The vehicle parts panel now has an expander to easily collapse it. It allows me to add more things like this 3D models panel which displays and lets you select the model to display among all the ones you may have in the vehicle folder. Here I had a model named flipramp.obj and a model named flipramptmp.obj both in .../vehicles/flipramp/.

StatusBarInfo.png
    This picture illustrates the contents that will be displayed in the status bar. You may wonder why the real cursor location doesn't match the absolute location. That's because the real position takes the snapping into account while the absolute doesn't. The snap unit is 1 and value scale is 10. So if you multiply the real position by 10 you get the snapped cursor position in the editor.
    This indicates also which cursor is currently selected which is important to always know and what you currently have in your active selection.

#53 GregBlast, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  14. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

News about upcoming Alpha 12 release
    Getting close to the release. I just uploaded another video with my addition progress of the day. Featuring command bar icons and layout setups (which can be saved in Preferences).

- - - Updated - - -

Update Alpha 12 (0.0.0.12)
    Alright here it is. Here's the list of changes:

- changed the global UI layout to use a docking suite
    - added duplication functionality with axis based offset
    - help button now opens the wiki page in the web browser
    - thrusters and cameras are now displayed in 3D editor
    - thrusters and cameras can now be created in the 3D editor
    - added possibility to remove beams and triangles by hovering and hitting Delete
    - imporved the radial menu disposition so it is less likely getting cut
    - the grid can now be toggled with Ctrl+G
    - node IDs can now be changed within the nodes grid
    - and external camera can now be added from ether 3D editor or grid (wasn't workign before)
    - fixed hidden things showing up when reactivating the 3D editor window
    - you can now see through 3D models if their material is not opaque
    - you can now select all nodes with Ctrl+A
    - model transform can be reset with Shift+M (azerty keyboards)
    - fixed problems with displayed values in 3D editor with sliders
    - you can now press 4 to toggle thruster functionality
    - you can now press 5 to toggle camera functionality
    - grid is now drawn in a far less expansive way
    (it can visually not display completely from some angles though but nothign serious)
    - fixed snapping problems that could lead to some nodes / beams not being removed
    - improved snapping in general
    - 3D models are now visible in orthographic views
    - added node refactoring functionality (not fully functional though, goes weird with complete vehicles)
    - selected triangle is now visible in orthographic views
    - added quick tip message box for different operations in the tool in general
    - vehicle can now be closed with Ctrl+F4
    - you can now hit beams with your mouse and see the selected one
    - you can now see other things through triangles
    - you can now change triangles transparency
    - you can now see information relative to what you are hovering in the top-left corner of the view
    - added Snap nodes functionality to snap all nodes to the current snap value
    - you can now toggle model visibility with M (azerty keyboards)
    - added selection info to the status bar
    - added real position to the status bar
    - added snap value to the status bar
    - added new camera FOV to the status bar
    - you can now place the grid onto 3D models (but not rotate it yet)
    - fixed parts panel scrollbar not working
    - you can now save vehicle files separately
    - added support for multiple 3D models (can be selected from the right panel of the 3D editor)
    - added current cursor to the status bar
    - updated all command bar items with icons in the 3D editor
    - you can choose the global layout between 3 different configurations and save it

As usual the download is available on the first post here.

#54 GregBlast, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  15. jo_vink

jo_vink
    Expand Collapse

I used alpha 11 that worked on windows 8 but now with alpha 12 it wont work any more
    tryed starting as admin or set it on compatibility mod but it won't work

greetz Jo_Vink

16. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

:( must be linked to the docking library... I can try to pack up a version with the old layout. Maybe it will work.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you try this one below. If it doesn't work either I'll try removing the dll and recompiling without it.
    If you get any error message please expand the "Details" and take a screenshot for me. Would be really helpful. I unfortunately cannot test on Windows 8 myself so...

Attached Files:

#56 GregBlast, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  17. jo_vink

jo_vink
    Expand Collapse

I wil try tonight when i am home

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk

18. Olrosse

Olrosse
    Expand Collapse

It does not work for me either. But the one with the old layout did (windows8.1)

19. GregBlast

GregBlast
    Expand Collapse

Thanks it's good to know ! At least I'm sure that was the problem. Too bad you cannot benefit from that new layout :(. If I find another one as good that would work with Windows 8 I would gladly plug it instead of the one I'm currently using.

20. jo_vink

jo_vink
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the quik help en the version that works on Windows 8

I did test it works fine now with the old layout.

greetz Jo_Vink

#60 jo_vink, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice