realistic snow?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by moosedks, Jan 29, 2013.

1. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

I have no idea how you would code this. I want snow that is less slipper when its fluffy and not packed down, but easy to get stuck in because your car has to use energy to pack it down. I would also like to see cars getting high centered when the snow gets too deep or legitimately stuck in the snow (yes this happens). There are too many games where it is literally impossible to get your car stuck in snow or mud.

I'd also like to say I hope mud and water are different from in ror. In ror they would kind of make your car just bog down which was very annoying.

2. luke198

luke198
    Expand Collapse

While I agree with you, I think that this feature would make the game less fun. Many people would get annoyed if they get stuck too often.

3. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

well hopefully they add the thing where you can pull your car with the mouse so if you get stuck you're still ok

4. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

snow, sand, etc: yes, later :)

mouse pulling: later as well ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

With sand I see that annoying some people. For example, mud can be firm and just slippery so you don't sink, however, if you drive an 18 wheeler into a desert it's gonna get stuck up to the doors. I just think that the realism a bit.

6. David Fortsc

David Fortsc
    Expand Collapse

Honestly I have a feeling you'll be able to adjust the values of the map so if you don't like it; Change it. Or don't drive that map. This is a driving simulator based around realistic vehicle physics, which ties into the terrain.

7. Trykkestar

Trykkestar
    Expand Collapse

Snow and ice would be a cool feature. You could make the entire game like a Russian Crash Compilation! ;) You could also hold some interesting races and driving challenges in snow.

8. David Fortsc

David Fortsc
    Expand Collapse

Not only that but for people who like to make crash videos they could make a realistic scenario where a car would loose grip over black ice or regular ice and rear end. They could also remake this video:

#8 David Fortsc, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  9. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

whats not good about an 18 wheeler getting stuck up to the doors? it happens in the outback quite often when the driver doesn't pay attention and goes of the road, but i would really love to see some better mud simulation than what was in RoR since i plan on making off-road maps.

10. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Right, but without terrain deformation you can't have realistic sand, which is sad.

EDIT: WOO, 300 posts!

11. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

That's the problem, but i have seen a fairly realistic terrain deformation, and i don't think it was to resource heavy either since it was posted a couple of years ago, it was talked about in another thread but it might have been on the RoR forums.

12. David Fortsc

David Fortsc
    Expand Collapse

I used to work as a Project Manager for a game that used the Havok Physics Engine. They had pretty convincing terrain deformation. I'm not sure if Torque3D supports it though. I know they support physical structure damage, but whether or not it can be reverse engineered for terrains is beyond me. It might also be resource heavy that way.

13. PauliKa

PauliKa
    Expand Collapse

There is a game called ''Spin Tires'' which is a demo game but it has mud deformation and it looks quite good and it doesn't hurt the FPS much.

14. raiderfan

raiderfan
    Expand Collapse

you must be talking about spin tires

15. David Fortsc

David Fortsc
    Expand Collapse

Yes, the title in question is Spin-Tires. The engine that was used is called 'Havok Engine' and it allowed for terrain to be deformed and small to large particles (rocks) to be created on the spot. The game was never really finished and the developer has slowed down production of it, but you can still find it. I think Oovee still has a host for it, but that demo is poor and was released after I stopped working with Pavel. I'm sure you can find older better versions of the demo and youtube it. I know we had an official youtube page for a little bit with a pretty decent video demonstration of it. Take a look if you want but as I said, I'm not sure if Torque 3D supports terrain deformation or if it'd have to be programmed in through middleware or something.

16. Straubz

Straubz
    Expand Collapse

No, although it does have good tire tracks that actually effect the physics, the one i meant was the Atomontage Engine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCZIBDt1uM

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice