Recording Custom AI Paths?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by lumbud84, Apr 23, 2019.

1. lumbud84

lumbud84
    Expand Collapse

I know there is already a method of creating custom AI paths, but that requires going into the map editor, and takes more effort than I was expecting it to. And even then, it wouldn't exactly be what I wanted to achieve. So an idea popped into my head a week or two ago when I considered possibly making one of those cinematic masterpieces (FrIzErIs's series is the most notable example).

Basically, the game will record your driving (speed, location, etc.) from a single starting point until you decide to finish the "recording". Then, that recording will be converted to a custom map-specific AI path that can be reused an any time, which recreates exactly how you drove when you were recording. This could be done possibly through the use of a UI app, or through some other function within the game.

Say you wanted to create some sort of cinematic 2-car racing video. You would record the first car's path, then afterwards, use the newly-made custom path for the first car while simultaneously recording the second car's path. After you finished recording the second car's path, reset both cars to their starting points, pause the game and set both cars' AI options to their respective custom paths, unpause the game and let both cars race while you record the camera angles and everything. The cars will look like they're actually racing, almost as if you were controlling both of them at the same time.

Implementing a feature like this could unleash a new wave of possibilities to Beam.NG:
    - It would make cinematic videos easier to create, letting more people express their ideas.
    - Allow players to create new challenges for themselves.
    - It would make multi-car wrecks easier to make and increase their realism if done correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

I'm guessing the method you mentioned was Script AI. This idea would be a mix of replay (1:1 recording instead of AI) and Script AI (recording paths.) I would love this.

3. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

I was actually thinking about exactly this yesterday.
    Would be a really nice add-on, and I see endless possibilities with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Click F10 > tools>Script AI manager It basically does exactly what you want. It creates a path based on what the recording vehicle was doing, you can save the path and load it into any vehicle and AI will do its best to follow it. It can't really drift and it will brake a little later than the recording vehicle, so getting it to do any sort of precision maneuvers takes some time, also it isn't capable of doing driving in reverse, it will try to turn around at all cost often causing it to hit walls or fall off the cliffs and stuff.

5. lumbud84

lumbud84
    Expand Collapse

I would also like to clarify that I'm aware that Script AI exists, but that only creates a path that the AI tries to recreate. I'm looking for something that recreates your driving with 100% pinpoint accuracy. Basically, what Danny Werewolf said:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. danielr

danielr
    Expand Collapse

+1
    Although the ScriptAI so far is great, it would be nice to have an option (maybe a slider 0-100) of how accurate your driving would be re-played. Because for example things like let AI drift isn't possible with it yet. Also when making a race with multiple cars. The playback is always slower than your recorded line, making it tough to balance all the cars and lines with each other.

7. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. The reason why it's off from what I can tell is because the AI spawns a few feet above the ground. I seriously wish that was fixed and they were spawned at the point where their wheels contant with the ground.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice