Removal of the mod_info folder in Mods from the Repo

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by CreasingCurve, Oct 19, 2017.

1. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

Hey peoples, this is both a question and a request regarding the mod_info folder which has recently started being packaged with a mods files when downloaded from the Repository.

Is there any specific reason this folder needs to be placed into the zip and packed with the mod?
    I ask this because simple jbeam mods (specifically drivetrain or engine mods), if they contain images on their resource page go from a small, 10-20kb up to a whopping 3mb, often much more. This is a 1500-3000% increase in a mods size, simply because the modder may place a few simple images on the resource page to explain the content or show it off.

Is this really needed and can it be removed?

Thanks for your time,
    CreasingCurve

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

I noticed this too and updated most of my mods with compressed jpgs in hopes of smaller download size. I have not yet tested this but maybe uploading your pictures to imgur etc could help?
    And this new mod_info folder could be related to the in-game mod manager/downloader that is supposedly coming in the next few updates?

3. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

My mod actually got smaller after submission (70.8MB vs. 73.2MB)... :confused:

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

We repacks mods that are submitted.
    That folders gets added as it's needed for the mod-manager and future needs.

5. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

I might just reduce the quality of my images on the mod page like Taza said to hopefully reduce the file sizes.
    --- Post updated ---
    Your mod doesnt really apply to this scenario because its way too big to begin with and you only have 1 photo on the mods page and a bajillion youtube links (literally). My wheel hub mod went from roughly 60kb when i first submitted it to 2.9mb after this new system was introduced.

6. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Define "too big". For a vehicle incorporating 15 high-resolution skins and presets + precached mesh collections, it's just about right...

Anyway, it's still smaller than before, likely thanks to better/more aggressive compression of the archive.

The impact of the inclusion of the info folder is probably even more significant than you thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice