Rewind Feature

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Flamenado, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Flamenado

Flamenado
    Expand Collapse

Since BeamNG Drive has already implemented slow motion, is it possible to add a rewind feature to the game? It would be an excellent addition and would make it much easier to catch an epic stunt/crash that you just missed.

READ THIS EDIT:
    EDIT: I must have described this terribly, because I don't mean using some video editor or screen recorder to simply rewind the crash - I want to be able to still move all the cameras and stuff around - just like the replay function already in the game, but so I would not have to begin the replay and know a crash was going to happen before it did. Picture using the slow motion function in BeamNG Drive, then after it slows down to 100 times slower, you make it slower again and instead, it plays in reverse. Hope I cleared something up.

#1 Flamenado, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Go customize UI apps on this menu at left:
    upload_2018-1-22_9-0-37.png

Click plus sign

Look for Replay app and add that:
    upload_2018-1-22_9-1-36.png

Then just record replay when you play, you can then rewind, replay and load old replays etc. It allows making videos with multiple angles too as you can pause physics with J adjust camera position and angle while physics are paused and many other crazy things become possible with that.

It tends to bug out sometimes though.

3. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

At the same time, what if you don't record an amazing thing you just did? It could work like the way Xbox One does it, if that is even possible...

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

There could be option of time limit for replay thing so you could have it running all the time, currently it steals so much of my disk space that I can't keep it always running.

I had one 3 minute replay that took over 600MB, not sure if that is a bug or if it really records that much data.

5. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

I think it records every single coordinate of every single node every single *insert number here* soo, I bet that's why, 3 minutes or not...

6. Flamenado

Flamenado
    Expand Collapse

EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA EDIT:
    (Took me 3 years trying to get this post right lol)
    Exactly. The replay function already in the game does not take a video, but instead saves the whole entire simulation within that time. If a tiny damn particle comes off a speck of rubber that fell off a tyre that came off a car on top of a truck's trailer during an explosion created from a head on collision in the middle of the air above a freeway at midnight, it'd have to remember that particle.
    EDIT: Whoops, accidentally deleted a reply to this post (lol). In case you didn't see it, I said that I already know how the replay function works, and I don't want that. If a rewind function was implemented, then you could rewind a minute or so of what just happened WITHOUT having to take a replay or something first.

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It would still need to use replay function to record that last minute, it is not possible any other way, so you would just have replay recording running all the time, but it would have option to limit length of the recording to last minute or whatever value one wishes to limit it.

8. Flamenado

Flamenado
    Expand Collapse

You do have a point. I suppose if the replay function ran all the time, it might also strain more CPU usage, having to record and delete all the time. Would still be a nice feature though.

9. Flamenado

Flamenado
    Expand Collapse

I edited my top post, read the rest and hopefully you'll understand what I am talking about. Sorry about the confusion.

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

All you really need is option to have replay recording to be always running and to limit length of that replay recording and that should give you rewind option without need to start recording anything while saving resources compared to current replay functionality.

Next thing is then what if you decide 1 minute 30 second after that crash that you want to replay it? :D

So adjustable recording length would be nice to replay function as well that option to get it record all the time, should be possible to turn that off to save computing power etc.

11. Flamenado

Flamenado
    Expand Collapse

Nice thinking. Glad you understand the concept. It's definitely one compromise that could replicate the idea of rewinding stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice