1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Running - syncing - nothing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Medtner, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Medtner

Medtner
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I tried to submit this to the Support Ticket system, but haven't heard anything.

My problem is that the game, fully updated, clean install, no mods - will not open or start in any way.
    When trying in Steam, it will say "running", for a second (and a "running BeamNG"-steam-window will open for half a second), and then "syncing", and then nothing happens. It's not open, having checked the Applog.

I have played BeamNG for years, and only recently did it start to behave in this way. It's been like this for a few months, and I can't figure out what to do. I have done a complete uninstall of the game, checking the remaining folders for leftovers, and once everything is clean, I've tried reinstalling. Same deal. Other games work fine on Steam...

Hope this can be figured out. I have withdrawal symptoms by now. ;)

Yours,

Erik

2. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Erik give the moderators time, they are at home doing what ever it is they are doing I am sure @Nadeox1 will get back to you tomorrow when hes able to talk on here

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is bit difficult to guess, but generally it could be something blocking game from starting, like antivirus. For example I had to once set steam download dir as well as game executable dir to antivirus exception list, otherwise antivirus wanted to delete the game file.

There is of course lot other possibilities and full system specs might help with pinpointing the issue.

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Yep, we received your mail.
    Busy times lately, response time can be a bit longer than usual.
    Thanks for your patience.

Since this thread, will reply directly here:

The issue as you describe is commonly caused by other programs messing/blocking the game.
    Especially if you are not able to see the game's launcher.
    Please check your antivirus (and anything similar). Since it occurred only recently, I'd give recent programs a bit more attention.
    As well carefully check this list: https://wiki.beamng.com/Incompatible_Third_Party_Software

And just in case it's a bad download/install (ie. some file did not download correctly during an update), try this:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335&

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Medtner

Medtner
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried the integrity check many times before, and did it again. No change.

However I have Windows Defender, and I think I have OneDrive on my computer.
    Problem is the solution:

"How do I change the 'mods' folder location?
    You can change the 'userfolder' location by using the Move User Folder button available in the game's launcher (since v.0.14)"

I don't get the game's launcher, so it's a Catch 22. Cant open the game, and the fix to open the game requires me to open it.
    Is there any other way to try this?

6. Medtner

Medtner
    Expand Collapse

Anyone able to help me work around that Catch 22? :)

7. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Dammit forum not sending notifications :|

Note that the launcher should always show up, even if the problem is the userfolder.

The launcher is a really base-line program. If it's not showing up, your problem is more likely something else blocking the game.
    I'd exclude OneDrive being the issue then. But if you still wish to try swapping your userfolder path, you can do so by editing the 'startup.ini' file located in the game's directory (open with notepad, and you'll see instructions inside)

8. Medtner

Medtner
    Expand Collapse

That's strange. I've excluded BeamNG in Windows defender.

Tried to change the folder manually. No change in the startup.

The launcher appears only for a fraction of a second, just as if some program is snuffing it out, like you suggest. What else could it be? I don't have any other defense than Win Defender...

9. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Perhaps you have recently changed your steam's DEFAULT directory? This would happen if it's looking to launch the game in c:\gamesdir but you've since set steam to look in g:\gamesdir or some other drive.

For instance the default steam dir will be c:\ but if you change the games library to another one and then reinstall the game or anything it'll now be spread across two places, and if you aren't sure then that's the place to start imho. Currently I have beamng on c:\ d:\ g:\ x:\ and z:\ and I can never remember which freakin' directory is the CURRENT one =D
    --- Post updated ---
    Just double check here:

Attached Files:

• upload_2019-2-3_21-58-27.png
  10. Medtner

Medtner
    Expand Collapse

I checked, and in the Steam Library Folders I only have F:\Steam, set as default, having "3" installed. Whatever those "3" are... I only have BeamNG and The Long Dark installed. Maybe this reveals something? There seems to be a reference to something installed which isn't...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I doubt this is a problem with directory.
    Steam would show a message about that if it cannot find the game's exe.

Still more likely some other program messing with the game.
    Unfortunately no way to tell you what exactly, only you can and should go through your installed programs.

Manually go to that folder and check what the folders are.
    The folders should have the name of the games.

12. Medtner

Medtner
    Expand Collapse

Hi again.

I have checked and tried turning off all the Windows Defender apps and nothing changes. The "running-syncing" thing persists.

To the comment above: The extra folder was "Steamworks Shared", so not a game as such.

As it is, weirdly, BeamNG is the only game that I can't run...

13. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BeamNG.drive\Bin64 and launch the "beamng.drive.x64.exe"

14. Medtner

Medtner
    Expand Collapse

Tried, but nothing happens whatsoever...

15. Medtner

Medtner
    Expand Collapse

Anyone having any other suggestions? I've not been able to play BeamNG for several months now, and I'm going a bit crazy from withdrawal...

16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

There is too little information to be able to see what is going on.

Need full hardware specs.

Also from Documents\BeamNG.drive need to see what is in beamng-launcher.log and beamng.log to know more.

17. Medtner

Medtner
    Expand Collapse

I have an I7 4790K running at 4GHz, 16GB Ram, GTX1080 GPU, SSDs all over.

One thing came of this: That folder doesn't exist. I had OneDrive installed, and BeamNG was listed in this system, but I have tried to remove it, with no help. But as it is, there is no place where there are any logs or launchers.

I tried reinstalling a couple of times, both on my regular drive and on C (to see if changing makes a difference). Nothing happens. Reinstalls in a few seconds (quick internet), and no change.

FYI: When launching The Long Dark from Steam it opens in a few seconds as normal (and as BeamNG has done for years and years).

18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, I think that issue is related to cloud storage, I have read before about such, but now I'm uncertain if that is windows user folder being in cloud storage being an issue or if it is steam cloud storage being an issue.

You might need to check options for both which would disable cloud storage and use local storage for user files instead, I'm afraid uninstalling one drive is not helping there as modern windows are too automatic and will probably just restore it back or something.

I don't use windows 10 because all the issues automated things bring with it, but you might find place to change where files are stored with this:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23790-change-storage-save-locations-windows-10-a.html

Also try reinstalling like this:
    https://wiki.beamng.com/BeamNG_FAQ#How_do_I_perform_a_clean_reinstall.3F

Not sure if there are better or more information, but @Nadeox1 would probably know about these cloud save issues much more.

19. Medtner

Medtner
    Expand Collapse

I looked into the Steam Cloud thing. No difference when turning it off apart from not getting the "syncing" thing during the initial startup. Now it just says "running" for a fraction of a second and then nothing more.

One interesting thing I found was that, while I have no BeamNG folder in the Documents folder, I just got that by opening a BeamNG.exe-file that I found in some old folders as a backup of a previous drive. They are completely useless in themselves, but when trying to open it the result was at least that it created a folder in the documents-folder, and a "cache.0.14.0.2" folder with empty crashreports/logs folders.
    So something works, and it's directed towards the correct place. I've disabled OneDrive as far as I can see, and this confirms that.

Now, why BeamNG in its newest and freshest install won't at least make a folder in the documents folder is strange...

20. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I think there might of been some changes how Beam handles cloud storage stuff.

If you double click BeamNG.drive.x64.exe that is in bin64 folder instead of just beamng.exe that will start the old version of game just fine, I presume.

beamng.exe is what starts launcher, but BeamNG.drive.x64.exe is what launches game. While new version might not start, old one might start, then you can try BeamNG.drive.x64.exe of new one and see if it then manages to start as old one creates all the files.

New one still might try to access some cloud service instead of operating normally, not sure how to change that if steam cloud thing and windows cloud thing will not fix it.

I am not fan of such automated 'handy' features, like things old fashioned as they don't change by itself and just work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice