1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

runs poorly on more than good enough system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by THEDRVER, Dec 12, 2018.

1. THEDRVER

THEDRVER
    Expand Collapse

The game runs pretty bad on my pc (a lot of drups and overal bad fps) whilst it isnt a slow computer at al.
    I am running:
    -AMD 1700x (8cores @ 3.4ghz)
    -16GB ddr4 memory (3400Mhz)
    -AMD Rx 580 (8GB GDDR5)
    -game is on a new 1tb harddrive
    Could the harddrive be the issue? (would be hard to believe but might be it)
    Or does it have something to do with it being an AMD graphicscard? I heard that there where isues whith that.

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

CPU, especially single core power of CPU, keep SSAO and reflections off to give CPU a chance to feed GPU.

Not sure about rx580, not familiar with AMD cards.

3. TYLERTJ

TYLERTJ
    Expand Collapse

The graphics card is more than good enough, however your CPU is probably the problem. This is an extremely CPU intensive game due to the extremely complex physics models. The only ways to improve your performance without switching your CPU would be to use only one vehicle at a time, and use vehicles with simpler Jbeam structures.

Maybe try overclocking?

A good way to check to see if your CPU is the bottleneck is to pause the physics while in game. If the FPS increases while paused, you know it’s gour CPU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

That CPU should not be a bottleneck unless SSAO is enabled. I run the game fine on slower

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Well technically any CPU is bottleneck in game if GPU is enough fast, but when fps goal is met, is there then bottleneck? :D

What I think is that he has to have ssao and maybe dynamic reflections on high, which no CPU can handle or then there could be some other software or some mods causing limited availability of CPU time.

It might be he is using map that just does not run with any CPU on the planet as few mod maps are like that at the moment. (Like San Frisco City)

Too little data really to tell.

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

AMD CPU is good, not great, for 1xxx series Ryzen. 2xxx series helped a little bit on this. Still way better than AMD FX.
    Wait until 7nm comes out this spring/summer and look to buy a newer one, it will be much better, some 40% better than your 1700x per-core.
    Speed increase with GHZ speed increase is linear. Ryzen CPU is held back by memory. If you don't have 2933mhz or such samsung B-die RAM on dual channel with low latency, you will be missing some performance. However, that being said, it's not worth the price of upgrade alone if you already have 16gb or more of memory in your computer. If you only had 8gb of 2133 or 2400mhz memory, i'd say spring for a much quicker 2933~3200mhz kit of 16gb.

RX 580 is just fine for this game, I have RX 480 and it works great. I have 8gb version. Works just fine and doesn't scream like dying rat at high FPS like Nvidia cards always did. Don't upgrade until Consumer-oriented NAVI cards come out (announcement about those at CES in January).

Today's update should help performance a TON.

7. THEDRVER

THEDRVER
    Expand Collapse

the reflections where all maxed out, lowering the setting fixed the issue. tnks everyone :pµ

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

OK, that will do it every time. Reflections will render everything behind you also, raising draw-calls (done by CPU) sometimes by double.

If you get slow spots in the map, any map, hit CTRL+F, then hit it again, if your WAIT FOR VIDEO is not 0.1, you could be waiting on the GPU, if your DRAW CALLS value is 4000 or higher, it will impact frame rate noticeably (due to CPU holding up rendering by having too much to do, even on my 4790k @ 4.4ghz all cores). Draw Calls generally shouldn't touch 4000 with a single car in play or you're at risk of dipping below 60fps.

Draw calls are an instruction by the CPU for rendering a single connected set of UV's of ONE type of texture on ONE model (or a set of duplicate models - like trees - that are 100% identical). Each time a single FRAME of animation is drawn, the CPU has to tell the GPU to render all those textures on all those models. Shadows and reflections and also SSAO to a lesser extent raise the amount of draw calls. More draw calls, more hold time on the CPU.

Now don't run out and replace your 1700x with an intel processor. That would be rubbish. The 1700x has it's strong points, too. Beam Physics isn't necessarily one of those, HOWEVER, the 3xxx series of processors code-named ZEN 2 will be out this spring and will provide UP TO a 41+ % boost over your current chip, and newer AVX2 instructions (12% boost from Ryzen 1xxx to 2xxx, up to 29% boost from Ryzen 2xxx to unreleased 7nm 3xxx series).
    ZEN 1 - Ryzen 1 = 1xxx 14nm , Ryzen 2 = 2xxx 12nm, Ryzen APU 2xxx 12nm
    ZEN 2 - Ryzen 3xxx series 7nm processors, Ryzen APU 7nm processors, 7nm enable higher more honorable clock rate and better IPC. I sound like an ASUS motherboard manual now (not mocking anything but that), but hopefully you get the point.

9. MehmetErdemErcin

MehmetErdemErcin
    Expand Collapse

Overclock will help you dramatically... I'm playing this game with a AMD FX 6100 6 Core CPU(But it has 3 core chips that contains 2 chips, so this is like a 3 core 6 thread cpu but somehow its called 6 core), Nvidia GTX 960, 8GB 1600mhz DDR3 ram. It was rubbish, unplayable at first. Later, I got overclocked my CPU to 4.5gHz, It ran semi-perfect but very hot in summer. Also got unstable later, and i underclocked it to 4 ghz. It's perfect. It can handle everything with a Thermaltake air cooler. It even runs BF1 around 60fps(but when things get really messy it can drop to 20-30 fps but not unplayable of course) But I had a 550w 80+ Bronze rated power supply. It runs great, runs on Overclock for 3 full years(half of that in 4.5 and rest of it till today is 4ghz) If you know how to and do it responsibly and if you have a OK power supply in your system, You should(actually, must) overclock that beast around 4.2-4.3ghz if possible but 4 ghz will make it very happy And i think (Here, comes my assumptions) After the overclock, i think that CPU can handle around 8-12 cars(maybe? because i think every vehicle uses 1 thread or core as i heard). If I can play this game, any better AMD CPU can play. Overclock that beast of yours!

10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Overclocking isn't necessarily the answer to everything, but sometimes, if you need that extra 10~15%, sometimes it can help.
    Overclocking a 1st generation Ryzen processor beyond 4ghz is not only unrealistic, it's rarely possible at all due to the original GLOFLO 14nm chips not clearing 3.9ghz but only RARELY - and even then needing 1.4v or more to get to the big 4-0. The ones that did were mainly used on Threadripper and EPYC processors as they're much better binned (and expensive!). It's not worth running over 1.35v into a Ryzen chip to fry bacon and eggs with, we have intel chips for that already. I could keep a whole squad fed with this 4790k no issue if I hadn't delidded it & used liquid metal above & below the IHS.
    Ryzen 2xxx processors would get to 4.2~4.25 or 4.3 if you win the silicon lottery so-to-speak, but 4.0ghz~4.15ghz is more common with those. That being said, unless you get a really good chip, it doesn't always make sense, especially on a board supporting XFR2, as that XFR2 will overclock the chip reliably on it's own. I've been using PC hardware since my first AM486 DX/2 66 about 25 years ago - yes that's right - when AMD chips socketed to intel motherboards.

A bit about AMD BD/PD Module-based FX-era CPU's and why it's not always good for BeamNG:

AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver MODULES (anything post-Phenom II and prior to Ryzen), are composed a two pairs of ALU (Arithmetic Logic Units - this officially is a CPU core), and one 256-bit FPU for that pair, which may split into two 128-bit FPU's when needed. Your FX series is composed of THREE modules to make SIX cores. FX 4xxx series will have two modules, FX 8xxx will have four modules. They're not too bad when they're in the 4~5ghz range but the power cost per year difference VS even a 22nm intel 4790k processor is so much, that in Pennsylvania, I could have paid for a new 4790k every year. Ouch. Yes it was 30 bucks a month difference between my old AMD FX 6300 4.2ghz all-core-speed processor on AMD 970 chipset, and a 4790k @ 4.4ghz all-core-speed on Z97 intel chipset. It's shocked me, but yes, what a difference. My AMD chip never really got over 110F much at all though. The intel - that's another story... it hit 75C with the stock cooler in a second, bought a 100$ air cooler for it just to get it to hit it's turbo speed. Got some liquid metal and a delidding mate for it, and delidded plus put liquid metal on it. It now generally doesn't clear past 65~70C ever even on a hot day without the AC in the summer, air-cooled.
    Needless to say after the PIG of a chip that I got here four years ago (built my 4790k in OCT 2014), my next machine will be a Ryzen build, when the Ryzen family has a newer version or two that offers me some IPC-gain in addition to some more cores (currently, 2xxx series are around the IPC of intel 4xxx~6xxx chips at the same GHZ). IPC= Instructions PER CLOCK. This matters. This is what hurt the FX/older APU models based on Piledriver and Bulldozer. They were stinkers even when they first came out from review sites. I owned my AMD FX 6300 for THREE WEEKS until I was ready to throw it out the window (I had upgraded a machine with a newer replacement motherboard that was still using an Athlon II x4 630 that couldn't OC to save it's hide). Then I built this.
    If your FX series chip still meets your needs, by all means keep it, but next year, I would strongly consider upgrading to 7nm Ryzen when it's out.

Regardless of that, performance should be so much better this-time-around on 0.15.x game version, that you might not need to OC anymore to enjoy the game.

Those with old Phenom II chips, an FX processor is not an upgrade for this game. Go right to Ryzen and don't look back.

FWIW, I recently tried using my AMD FX 6300 machine with a 10K HDD after using this PC for four years, so my little niece could play Minecraft on it...
    Oh.My.Goodness. You give that thing a SSD and it DOES NOT EVEN NOTICE (partly the fault of the drive controller chip on the 970 board - ASMEDIA = POO). It still goes HDD speeds even with an SSD and a fresh legit install of Windows 7. Oh my goodness. No wonder I almost tossed it out of the 2nd floor of my last house. So I think I will fix up the i3 2xxx pile-o-parts in-stead for her - At-least I won't have to shovel coal into that one.

If the users of AMD FX chips cannot afford better, or are happy with them - hey more power to you - not here to hate at all - but just going to say that, there's much more available when you upgrade to Ryzen. You will be absolutely blown away. Even if you just buy a Ryzen 2200G APU, one of the lowest-end chips, it's a world better. I am absolutely going to say try not to be offended, though that may prove impossible, but seriously... The FX series was AMD's black sheep, it's day has come and gone. I wouldn't have stayed so long on this topic, but I hated mine so badly, and it was so slow, that I didn't keep it longer than 3 weeks. 3 weeks after I got it for 100$, I said "*expletive* this!!!" and went out and spent 1500$ on a pile of new parts. Save yourself while you can.

*Just to clarify: The Bob loves AMD and has LOTS of stock in them he bought for about 1.65~2.00$ a share back before Ryzen days. You should buy an AMD Ryzen 7nm processor when it comes out, though, they're supposed to be REALLY good - but if you've already got an intel 4xxx system, Ryzen 1xxx or better, it might not be so 'required' yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice