School PCs and Beamng....lol

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Deleted member 1747, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

So today, at school i installed steam. Then you can guess what followed with that.... So when i started beamng on the
    Core 2 duo, 2 gb ddr2 Dell optiplex 360 (ancient) Designed for windows xp xD
    the game was terribly laggy (like 1 fps with a pigeon :D) and unplayable....even though everyone uses them to play games i really wasn't surprised but then i realised that in September (when our new building is finished) we are ditching all the old computers and getting core i5 machines, not knowing the ram, i thought hmmmmmm. There's a new thing to do at lunch...Hopefully i'll be able to get by on the integrated graphics :D

#1 Deleted member 1747, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
  2. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

What kinda nut case are you....you are utterly insane...but seriously that brings back old memories of my E8400 Dual core computer with 4GB DDR2 RAM that lasted me 7 years...before I built my new computer ahh those fond memories of swearing at the game and wondering why it never got any high FPS figures...

3. InFiNiTy

InFiNiTy
    Expand Collapse

It should run on the new internal Intel HD series with no problems at all. Just low settings 720p will be the point. So, have fun in the schooltime :D

4. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Haha yeah what can you expect from a 2 duo...better stay to turbo dismount which runs fine:D

5. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Aw man, I went from my Worfdale E8400 dual core to an Octocore unlocked 5960X when I upgraded, the power difference between the two is staggering...going from a Processor that sipped 65W to a 140W Reservoir drinking 5960X is godly it goes to your head eventually but I love the difference they are both clocked at 3Ghz but I have 14 extra cores that I never had before and the performance its....orgasmic....

6. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

How did you manage to install something on a school PC? Aren't they locked down with "security" restrictions?

• Like Like x 1
  7. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

They are, but things like steam seem to be un-affected by them, at least it's like that at my school.

8. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Yeah but steam is allowed because they let us play games. They can access what programs you use and if they are overage they delete it from the system and ban it on all ages below the rating

• Like Like x 1
  9. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

You're lucky. When I was at school, you couldn't install anything or even change some common settings.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I remember at High School I was a demon at Wolfenstein ET that was the only game that ever ran on the shit box HP computers at work because they had a shared group drive it ran out of there god it was so funny pwning everyone brings back fond memories!

11. KozyKat

KozyKat
    Expand Collapse

I can't even use the BeamNG forums at school, so I doubt we can use Steam. But me and my friends derp around in MS paint. :rolleyes:

#11 KozyKat, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  12. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

heck even my i3 laptop has more power then those PCs at your school and how in the world did you manage to install steam on your school network at my school (old school by the looks of it as I might be moving) steam is blocked online atleast.

13. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I use an i3 at work but its heavily locked down....the City of Edinburgh Council is very good....

14. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Not sure what the particular clock speeds are but I am guessing that since it is a school computer that the system was being bogged down by the schools system that they always use (my school had a terribly laggy one and I am guessing yours was no different). That being said, a Core 2 Duo should have no problems handling BeamNG. Mine could run at about 40 to 60 fps with the D series, even being held back by the fps limiter occationaly. Mine was running at 2.4GHz so it was a moderately high clock speed, but still, I don't know why it would have been lagging so bad even with the pidgion. You should pause the physics and see what the fps go up to. If they skyrocket then it is a computational bottleneck, if it is the graphics, then the fps wont change much and it is a graphics bottleneck. I would be curious to see what would happen.

15. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

They wont have very good graphics cards its all onboard graphics and thats where the problem lies...

16. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Ahh... yea, on board graphics is pretty much a nail in the coffin :p

17. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Nothing compares to a dedicated graphics card, my own work computer gets out of breath when you ask it to run twin 1080p monitors, comparing it to my own gaming computer my computer would probably get out of breath running a 4K screen....I may end up eventually upgrading to a Titan X if that happens or a GTX1000 variant of the Titan X card....

18. Wiggilez

Wiggilez
    Expand Collapse

I remember doing similar things in high school, except we used the halo 1 demo cause we could get the lan multiplayer to work, so that was fun :)

19. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

God I forgot what games we had on the Boroughmuir High School network, Doom, Wolfensten ET, the Halo Multiplayer game, god I helped run the entire thing, it was hilarious one time it was just coming up the end of school term and I opened up a massive 32 player server and I got the word out and it was a massive fight to the death on the Frozen map on Wolfenstein ET and I used my handle "Judge Dredd" and I was decimating the tank on the level it was so much fun as the Germans....in that game one game that I will remember for along time!

That ET game crashed the mainframe server in the school....and that was a Dell Blade server and I got roasted alive by the admin team and I told them what I thought of the server and we had one of the 3 servers turned into a game server it was great fun....

• Like Like x 1
  20. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

At my school, if you try going onto a non-whitelisted website, and you ask for it to be whitelisted, it is blacklisted as "security". xD

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice