Search Bar in Parts Selector

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by rli98, Dec 28, 2017.

1. rli98

rli98
    Expand Collapse

It would really help if a search bar was implemented in the Parts Selector due to the incredibly comprehensive structure of the vehicles.

Sometimes when trying to modify vehicles, it involves alot of guessing and opening up subparts to determine where a certain part might be located.

The Parts Selector Search Bar would function similarly if not identically to the "Search bindings" function seen in the Controls option, where you type something in the search bar and the results brings up a list of matches.

Similar search bars are also used in the Save & Load Configs, Campaigns, Scenarios, Free Roam and the Time Trials menu.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Finding stuff in Parts selector doesn't require any guessing at all... It is just basic vehicle knowledge.+ after a while you will see that typing is way slower than just choosing the stuff manually :D

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. rli98

rli98
    Expand Collapse

What I meant by
    is that I have to guess where the part is located in the Parts Selector, not where it is located in the vehicle.

Well typing is probably slower to you. But for me and other players, scrolling through the menu, looking at each of the 'main' Body parts and opening subparts takes time. Oh and don't forget that they aren't listed in alphabetical order which would make it even more difficult to find and take more time to search.

For example, 'Front License Plate' is located in the 'Front Bumper' subpart. For the 'Rear License Plate' however, instead of being located in the 'Trunk' subpart like I expect, it doesn't belong in a subpart. Instead it's grouped with the other 'main' Body parts like Navigation Unit, Interior Color, Hood, Taillights, Radiator, Oil Cooler, Front Bumper Support etc.

I'd think it's best for the devs to implement a search bar as all I have to do to find a certain part is to type a particular word which would quickly bring me matches and results, rather than going through the tedious process I described above.

4. rli98

rli98
    Expand Collapse

Hey tdev, Nadeox1 and other devs,

I understand that my suggestion is a low priority and that you are focused on more important things, but is it alright if you could tell me if this idea has been considered?

5. Iro

Iro
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

if there's a dent in the trunk its a plate can be mounted there

if there's a dent on the rear bumper a plate can be mounted there

if theres none its still likely on the bumper, maybe the trunk, though likely the bumper.

it's just common sense

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. rli98

rli98
    Expand Collapse

Okay, my reason being "guessing and looking where the parts are in the Parts Selector" isn't exactly a strong point as to why my suggestion should be implemented so I'll ignore this for now as this just a personal problem that I have.

However, there is still an advantage in having a search bar in the Parts Selector as it can really speed up the process of changing parts. Scrolling and looking through the menu and expanding subparts takes time.

For example, in the Control options, there is a search bar that is really helpful in finding the right controls. If I want to change or look up the button for the Couplers, I can just type in "coupler" or even a partial word and the search bar will bring up the assigned control and other matching results pretty much instantly. This is a much better and more efficient way in finding the control, as the alternative and manual method would be to expand the "Gameplay" subpart and look where the Couplers controls are, which would take longer.

As I've mentioned before, the Save & Load Configs, Campaigns, Scenarios, Free Roam and the Time Trials also have search bars which are very useful, especially when I have installed alot of maps and scenarios that would require manual searching and scrolling.

I know that looking for a particular vehicle part manually doesn't last an eternity as it most likely is going to take a few seconds more but I want to find and change parts/controls/maps quickly which is why I would like the devs to implement a search bar in the Parts Selector some point in the future. Of course, they should focus on the more important stuff first but I feel that my suggestion is something that can be very beneficial and useful to players.

7. carlosjr

carlosjr
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I can select a base model car, open the parts menu, pause the game, turn it into a drag car, and unpause the game in at most a minute and a half. The current method in my opinion is one of the better ones, but it could use some refinement (mostly in the tuning menu). It shouldn't take you more than a few seconds to find whatever part you're looking for, and almost all of it just common sense honestly

8. rli98

rli98
    Expand Collapse

I understand where you come from. It's just that for me, I am able to find things faster by typing in a search bar instead of navigating through a menu. Other players probably feel the same way as some of them liked and agreed with my suggestion. Of course, if you don't like using the search bar for whatever reason, that's fine as no one is forcing you to use it, but a second method in finding parts would be very handy for some players.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice