Second Championship

Discussion in 'BeamNG Rally Championship' started by SouthernPotato, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthernPotato

SouthernPotato
    Expand Collapse

This championship has ended. Congrats to Spec Racer Z, MattKowalski, and -randy- for getting 1st, 2nd and 3rd! View the full championship rankings on Google Sheets. Please discuss how you felt about it and what you'd like to see in the future in the feedback and planning thread.
    This is our second championship. Please completely read the rules as several things are different than last time.

Anyone may participate. There are 15 scoring positions.

Car:
    Edit:
    Premade configs are available as mod thanks to Spec Racer Z. They are attached to this post, or on Spec Racer Z's post below.
    You may use either the Pessima (old or new version, but the new version isn't necessarily on the pace of the others), the Sunburst, the ETK I-Series or the Covet. In order to make them perform at around the same pace, you must follow these rules:
    • The Pessima must use at most the Sport Intake (the default config may have to be downgraded)
    • The Sunburst must use at most the Stock Intake (the default config may have to be downgraded)
    • The I-Series must use at most the Stock Intake (the default config may have to be downgraded)
    • The Covet must use at most the SOHC Carbureted engine (the default config may have to be downgraded) (changed for the 0.9 update)

Events:
    Edit:
    Due to the update to 0.9, an extra week has been added for the second event.
    This championship will consist of 4 events over 5 weeks. The events are played as quickraces. Here are the events:
    1. Finished: Industrial Figure Eight, 3 laps, reversed, no rolling start (Industrial Site), Ends: April 10 (note; by default this course is set for 2 laps)
    2. Car Delivery Rally (East Coast USA), Ends: April 24 (extended 1 week due to 0.9 update)
    3. 1300m Dirt Rally Circuit, 3 laps (East Coast USA), Ends: May 1
    4. Pessima Introduction Rally (East Coast USA), Ends: May 8
    Events 2, and 4 have been slightly altered from there original scenario form to be quickraces and to suite a rally format. The mod for that can be downloaded here. Event 3 will be included with that mod.

Scoring:
    From last to first, the scoring is as follows: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 50. This puts 15 positions in the points.
    You will get a score for each event you participate in and scores are totaled to determine ranking. 1 event will be dropped, meaning if you participate in all 4 events your lowest score will not be included in your total.

To participate, play these events as a quickrace and upload a video of your best run by the posted date for the event. Post your time and a link to the video in this thread. In your post, include whether you used a keyboard, controller, or steering wheel.

Charts will be posted every Monday showing placement, ideally around 22:00 UTC (so try to post your time before then).

If you have any questions, please ask. Good luck!

Edit: if you can't post in the group (and you've already joined the group) please message me and let me know.

Attached Files:

#1 SouthernPotato, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

I can make the cars into configs and post them here in about 1 to 2 hours. So that it saves people the hassle.
    Here it is.

Attached Files:

#2 CreasingCurve, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

I did more thorough testing with all of the vehicles to ensure their competitiveness. The Covet Rally, Sunburst SC Rally and Pessima SC Rally all turned out better than expected (less than a two tenth spread between all three at 95% pace on Figure Eight), but the I-Series ended up the most underpowered and without the agility to save it, putting it over two seconds behind everything. To try and improve this, I ended up with a configuration of 3.0L engine on stock intake with sport tires swapped onto the Dreid wheels. It's just over half a second behind the others on Figure Eight, but now with the greatest acceleration and a chance for a comeback on the higher speed events.

I proposed this to SouthernPotato and he agreed to include it in the roster, so if you'd like to bet on the power car, you can download the car config from this post.

EDIT: For everyone's convenience, I put all of the configurations into an actual configuration pack so they can be selected directly from the quickplay menu. I also made a thumbnail for every car in the series. This is the same pack attached to the opening post.
    Covet.png ISeries.png NewPessima.png OldPessima.png Sunburst.png

Attached Files:

#3 Spec Racer Z, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  4. MattKowalski

MattKowalski
    Expand Collapse

Nice! I'll won't have much time to dedicate on the first stage, but I'll try my best to get a somewhat competitive time. Just a question @SouthernPotato : are there no restriction on tires or suspension setup? I'm totally fine with it if that's the case, just asking to be sure.

5. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

Farily sure we have to use either the ETK I, Covet, Old Pessima or the sunburst in their rally version but you are free to tune them however you like.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SouthernPotato

SouthernPotato
    Expand Collapse

As a quick note to everyone, I originally got the name of the first stage wrong. It's Industrial Figure Eight, not Rallycross Figure Eight. Sorry for any confusion.

CreasingCurve is correct.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

It works like the Forza leagues I've done. The intake downgrades listed in the opening post and anything done in the Parts menu is a requirement and must be done for the car to be eligible, with the Covet Rally being the only one eligible by default. The downloadable SCconfigs and the ETKIpatch have this conveniently done for you and can be applied in the Save & Load menu. Changes within the Tuning menu are allowed and can be made at your discretion.

Also, going to move my video to this post so the *BRC 2 car pack isn't obscured:
    Completed a good run with the Covet Rally on the X360 controller. Time is 1'34.28. I might switch to the Sunburst and do another run before the deadline if can get my wheel setup to have non-painful ergonomics.

Edit: Going for a wildcard and switching to the I-Series so I can use it in the rest of the races. Xbox 360 controller, time is 1'35.66.

#7 Spec Racer Z, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  8. ClassyClassic

ClassyClassic
    Expand Collapse

I've tried to figure out how to use the correct car but can't. I've never used configurations before, and there is no way to edit a vehicles parts in quickplay.

I placed them in the mods folder. They show up as mods in the in-game mod manager, but they don't show up as an option for a vehicle choice.

EDIT: Thank you Spec Racer Z. The issue still remains that in the Quickrace mode there is no way to get to the car part selector menu. I did find a solution to the problem though.

Options -> User Interface -> Show custom vehicles in vehicle selector

#8 ClassyClassic, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  9. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

Here is my first attempt

I know i can do better but at the time my computer decided to slow down from 3.0ghz to about 2.1ghz so i had to run at lowest setting with dynamic collisions off.
    Hopefully i can record another run soon.

Second attempt is here

Managed to do a 1:39.06, took me a while, if i could run the game at a higher and more steady framerate, i could probably crack a 1:38.
    I think for this challenge the covet is slightly too fast, i tried with all other cars and they cant seem to get within about 2 secs of my best time with the covet. For the next challenge i may need to rig up a smaller turbo for it.

#9 CreasingCurve, Apr 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

You load the configurations by going into the parts menu after you finish loading into quickplay. You can either load the configuration or manually apply the parts yourself. I made a quick video to showcase where to find them.

I understand this somewhat complicates the race setup compared to the first championship though, so I'll see if I can compile them all into an actual configuration pack so they can be selected from the vehicle menu.

EDIT: It should be added to the opening post eventually, but I added it to the third post in the thread for now.

#10 Spec Racer Z, Apr 8, 2017
  11. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

Just quickly. Did you tune your covet in the attempt you posted above @Spec Racer Z? I can definetely do better than my current time but 8 seconds is way too much to make up for just by practice. Escpecially on a course that takes less than 2 minutes.

12. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

No tuning was done *in the Covet run. Most of the gains past 1'36 are subtler things like using the right gears, avoiding any unnecessary slides or coasting, lightly mixing the brakes and throttle as necessary to optimize FWD inputs and hit optimal slip angles, minimizing airtime and limiting bottoming out over the jump by compressing the front suspension before takeoff with a dab of the brakes, using all available track surface without missing apexes, using direct clutch so I can match my controller shifting speed to the wheel, and adapting my racing lines to best use elevation changes and banking and the higher grip asphalt sections.

It's all small optimizations and subtle precise techniques that all quickly add up and allow you to maintain higher average speeds and maximize your lateral cornering grip. Each of those subtle techniques can be practiced, but getting through all of them and then practicing enough that you can mix and incorporate them into your fundamentals for a cohesive driving style consistently is undoubtedly a bit of a time sink. Working on training drills and more efficient learning strategies can dramatically speed up the process however.

*Switched to the I-Series.

#12 Spec Racer Z, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

Remember that balancing depends on overall strengths for the entire series just as much as it does on a single event. For example, the S-bend around the buildings and the jump mean you don't really have straights for the I-Series to breathe with its power advantage, but the 1300m course and Car Delivery will likely change this dynamic. It also has the worst understeer of the bunch, meaning it probably has the most growth potential in tuning.

All that said, I'd like to take the opportunity to share recordings of my competition pace tests so you can see my perspective directly and I can test the accuracy of my time saving methods.

I used 95% effort runs as an initial test some days ago, which put the Covet at 1'35.26, Sunburst at 1'35.45, old Pessima at 1'35.44, new Pessima at roughly 1'35.988 (this is the only one I used a best of segments approach on by multiplying lap 2), and I-Series at 1'36.08. The competition pace in the above video by comparison was Covet at 1'34.28, Sunburst at 1'34.44, old Pessima at 1'35.44, new Pessima at 1'35.59, and the I-Series at 1'36.08. The Covet and Sunburst actually scaled slightly more evenly than expected. The new Pessima struggles too much with quick left-right motions for this track but still scaled with some effort and has close to I-Series acceleration, making it more of an overall series contender than people give it credit for. The old Pessima struggled more than I expected here though. No matter how hard I pushed with my techniques, it didn't seem to gain anymore ground and got awkward through the tighter corners. I'm curious if the power shortage really is just too much or if the tuning isn't conducive to the track. Finally, I-Series is a missile car as expected. The greatest acceleration of the pack won't matter until the next events because the worse tire compound causes understeer and the jump slows you down or breaks the car if you're any more aggressive.

If I could change anything past the default parts, I'd say the old Pessima is the one that needs the subtle boost in power unattainable with stock parts. Everything else has push and give with their power-to-handling ratio that I think will work for the track list. There is something to be said about ease of use though, which I'm actually in a worse position to judge since I'm so used to optimizing racing lines for difficult cars.

#13 Spec Racer Z, Apr 8, 2017
  14. -randy-

-randy-
    Expand Collapse

Here is my time for the first event. I used the old pessima with a steering wheel.
    Time: 1:38.31 min.

Obviously I did something wrong with editing and uploading that video. Quality is like eye cancer :-/ will try again tomorrow...

#14 -randy-, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  15. ClassyClassic

ClassyClassic
    Expand Collapse

This is my current best time for the first rally. Pretty sad result, but I didn't have a lot of time for many attempts.

01:41:94 in the BRC2 Spec "Power Car" Rally I-Series

(Manual w/ XBox One Controller)

16. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

Better than my first attempt, at least we are starting to get some more people competing. @Spec Racer Z we may need to do some promotions for round 2 to get some more people involved.

17. Spec Racer Z

Spec Racer Z
    Expand Collapse

We had 15 people sign the participation poll already, so it might just be some procrastination (I did plenty of that last series) or people using their drop race early because they don't like the city course-esque roadside walls in the first event.

18. MattKowalski

MattKowalski
    Expand Collapse

A bit last minute, but I sadly didn't have much free time this week. I definitely explored the track limits on this run
    ;)

edit: forgot to mention, driven on keyboard

#18 MattKowalski, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  19. SouthernPotato

SouthernPotato
    Expand Collapse

I was hoping to find time to get a better run than this, but I'm not displeased. It's a 1:38.65 with the classic pessima, driven with a G27

20. mcajsnk

mcajsnk
    Expand Collapse

BRC ETK I and keyboard with time 1:43:45. And I think we need some backup plan for next event, because new update of game is posible and it can change some conditions for players. Meybe, if update will come out this friday, force players to use latest version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice