Outdated Shader Overhaul (Graphics mod)

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by Travarmojsije, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Travarmojsije

Travarmojsije
    Expand Collapse

Shader Overhaul 0.1

Shader Overhaul is a graphics mod for BeamNg.drive that doesn't use Reshade or any other injectors so there are no unwanted issues like glowing UI. Shader Overhaul (SO) is made by only modifying engine files and shaders to bring out more of what the engine can offer.

SO is a continuation of my previous mod GT Sport Tonemap Shader available here:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/gt-sport-tonemap-shader-graphics-mod.74678/

If you are not happy with the look and feel try Brother_Dave's mod AL available here:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/al15-for-0-23-released-30-6-21-graphics-mod-al-part-2.71585/

WARNING!
    -This mod is a work in progress and is modifying core game files so expect instability!
    -I can not guarantee that it will work on your specific machine and installation of BeamNG.
    -You can expect an FPS hit because the tonemap used relies on HLSL functions which can be taxing on the GPU and light rays calculation uses more samples and higher resolution!
    -For clean implementation the color correction PostFX had to be disabled and is not used and will not be used!
    -Night sky is broken in the game so light rays can look a bit out of place in some night situations, in that case disable light rays while driving at night.

-Due to the core game file modifications PostFx menu should not be used!

FEATURES

New Tonemap
    screenshot_2021-08-19_22-45-44.png screenshot_2021-08-19_23-05-47.png screenshot_2021-08-19_22-48-13.png screenshot_2021-08-19_23-00-43.png screenshot_2021-08-19_22-56-37.png screenshot_2021-08-20_00-44-54.png

Tonemap used is a slightly modified Uchimura's tonemap (used in GranTourismo). It brings more vibrant colors while still maintaining a realistic image with brighter mid days and more balanced sunrise/sunset.

Improved Light rays
    screenshot_2021-08-19_22-55-03.png screenshot_2021-08-19_23-06-03.png

Light rays use more samples and a higher resolution texture as well as glow brighter for more impressive sunrises and sunsets.

Modified emissive texture glow
    20210820000756_1.jpg 20210820001739_1.jpg

Glow from emissive textures is handled a bit differently to allow for a light streak effect similar to how our eyes see bright light.

Comparison
    comparison1.png comparison2.png
    comparison3.png

INSTALLING

1. Close BeamNG.Drive.

2. Copy the "shaders" and "core" folder from zip file to your BeamNG documents folder.

3. Delete "temp" folder from BeamNG documents folder.

4. Start BeamNG.

DEINSTALLING

1. Close BeamNG.Drive.

2. Delete "shaders" and "core" folders from your BeamNG documents folder.

3. Delete "temp" folder from BeamNG documents folder.

4. Start BeamNG.

If the game crashes on level load delete "temp" folder and try again.

Attached Files:

#1 Travarmojsije, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Exciting. Just wait until map pbr comes out itll look amazing with this :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ilovecarcrash101

Ilovecarcrash101
    Expand Collapse

Nice! This shows what we can expect in furture official updates. Is it possible to make the car shadows appear more at daylight? Because still with your mod, the car shadows look nearly like none existant.

Attached Files:

• Unbenannt-1.jpg
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Travarmojsije

Travarmojsije
    Expand Collapse

I can try but I can't promise anything. The shaders of Beam are partially from Torque Engine on which it is built and partially their custom shaders so it is pretty difficult to navigate the code and figure out what is actually used by the game and how it is used. But I will try.
    As for the image you attached - there are no shadows below the car because this whole part of the map is in shadow at that particular time of day. So that would mean there should be a shadowmap within a shadowmap which is not possible as far as I can tell. This darkening that is visible below the car is SSAO (screen space ambient occlusion) doing it's job. Simple explanation is SSAO looks for "deep" or concave parts of the scene like the wheel wells and darkens them to give the illusion of light being unable to reach those parts of the scene. The problem is that SSAO in Beam is already tuned to work great in most cases and I can only ruin it by fiddling with it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PowerstrokeHD

PowerstrokeHD
    Expand Collapse

Love it

• Like Like x 2
  6. el_ferrito

el_ferrito
    Expand Collapse

Hi, Looks great. Can you clarify which folder these go into? I have a My Documents>BeamNG folder, then at least two other folders (a steam one and an appdata one) with BeamNG content in, one has a shader folder, another has a core folder, neither have both... Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Travarmojsije

Travarmojsije
    Expand Collapse

The simplest way is to go trough BeamNG.drive Launcher.
    Start BeamNG Launcher>Manage User Folder>Open in Explorer

You should be able to see folders for levels, mods, temp and so on. There should not be a "shaders" folder nor "core" folder just "temp" in your documents. If you have "shader" or "core" delete them before copying folders from zip. Also don't forget to delete "temp" folder before starting the game.
    Hope it helps :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. el_ferrito

el_ferrito
    Expand Collapse

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ari 2

Ari 2
    Expand Collapse

i cant find temp where is it?

10. Travarmojsije

Travarmojsije
    Expand Collapse

Start BeamNG Launcher>Manage User Folder>Open in Explorer
    If there is no "temp" folder there then you don't have to delete it. Sometimes there is no temp folder so no worries.
    Temp folder is usually created after starting a game and that is where compiled shaders and various temporary game files are that's why it has to be deleted - to compile custom shaders and not use the default ones.

11. I have some questions

I have some questions
    Expand Collapse

What if you combined it with the pbr ultra settings muye's no mod thing and this?

12. B3ARD3DRAG)N

B3ARD3DRAG)N
    Expand Collapse

no mod thing?

13. Richard Brooks

Richard Brooks
    Expand Collapse

does it work when i have Ultra graphics settings on? because i'm not really noticing much of a difference

14. Jessithetransgal

Jessithetransgal
    Expand Collapse

It would be nice if there was a better guide to install, say a youtube video. but alas, there isnt, and now my game doesnt start at all even after removing the files.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PowerstrokeHD

PowerstrokeHD
    Expand Collapse

please do not bump threads

16. moses72

moses72
    Expand Collapse

2 months isn't a bump

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jessithetransgal

Jessithetransgal
    Expand Collapse

it isnt bumping, its a complaint I have about this. please grow up.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Freelancera1

Freelancera1
    Expand Collapse

Have you tried clearing the cache? He actually checks all resources.

19. Fennex

Fennex
    Expand Collapse

It's so fricking nice!

Attached Files:

• screenshot_2022-06-06_23-57-47.png
  20. Brayden1231221

Brayden1231221
    Expand Collapse

The mod does not work, the map is broken no matter what. Can you update it to 0.26.2. as it breaks if i load a map. The whole map is dark grey with praticly no color and it is impossible to figure out shapes, for example the car you drive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice