1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Shocksplosion! Exploding coilovers and other shenanigans.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mitchd03, Aug 11, 2013.

1. mitchd03

mitchd03
    Expand Collapse

So I was messing around with the Gavril Grand Marshmallow, trying to create front shock absorbers that aren't made of pudding, and noticed that if you get the damping values too high, the shocks will either lock at full extension and act like beams, or simply explode when spawned. Any reason? Is there a max stiffness in the physics engine that simply doesn't allow any higher than a certain value to be input?

I did find moving the bottom shock nodes of the independant front suspension 20cm further outwards (if you find the nodes, 0.70 and -0.70 instead of 0.50) made the shocks/springs act stiffer as they are acting further up the lever of the lower control arm, though couldn't figure out how to move the flexbody coilover mesh. Fulcrum, load and effort and all that jazz.

2. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Gavril Grand Marshmallow

Oh god that's a fantastic way to describe it XD. Anyway, to put things simply. Yes, there's a maximum stiffness beyond which things get unstable. There seems to be a relative sort of value range between the mass, spring and dampening values. Put one too far out of whack relative to the other two and its liable to make components ping apart.

#2 Hati, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

How did you get that to work? when i lowered the d15 the front end got incredibly bouncy but no amount of changing numbers seemed to do anything to the suspension.

4. mitchd03

mitchd03
    Expand Collapse

For height adjustment, change the pre-compression, however, in addition to the max values of the shock, there are invisible beams that limit the suspension's travel, acting as bumpstops. You may be getting shock precompression values close to/past those, causing the beam to come into play. I did notice it was near impossible to lower the hatch by much without it getting bumpy. Maybe make a set of coilovers with zero spring value but damping value, so the car sits on the bumpstops but isn't as bouncy as having no shocks whatsoever.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice