Simple radiator fan math problem help needed

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by fufsgfen, Jan 22, 2017.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It seems my brain is running on low again.

I have a mechanical radiator that pulls 9500cfm at 1800rpm, I know that is 4.4m^3/s.

Then I have a radiator that is 0.27m^2 in size.

I'm trying to reason to myself that it is 4.4m/s, but then again my brain argues to me that it is not 1m^2 area, it is smaller area, so there must be more wind.

I'm sure there has to be way to solve this mathematically instead of using violence, but somehow my brain likes to disagree. Probably something very simple which I just can't see even if it is right at my nose.

Can it be 1/0.27*4.4= 16.3m/s? It sounds quite a lot, I would like 4.4 much more as wiki says 5 being upper end of the scale for max fan speed.

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is rating of the fan, what I have missed? :)

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Good points, also it is bit of guess which fan would be one in specific vehicle, so even cfm reading can be off, aftermarket parts are not always even near original ones etc.

In this case I think 4.4 came quite nicely, radiator efficiency is one value to tweak then, but so far so good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice