1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Slow Download speed for update?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Hachiroku92, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Hachiroku92

Hachiroku92
    Expand Collapse

I'm posting this thread because I started the race update today, was at 3% before I left for work today at 6pm, and I got home from work (10:30pm-ish). Download is only at 23%, and downloading at ~30kbps.. Is there any ports I can open to increase the speed? I know my internet service is kinda meh but its not this bad, something must be wrong. Comcast service, crappy 6mbps plan, if anyone asks.

2. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

ffs, did you even glance at recent threads, or perhaps think that MAYBE the servers could possibly be under a *bit* of load from thousands of users trying to get an update? Not to mention the fact that tdev pushed several other updates out today, which reset the download too.

3. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

I gave up on the update for tonight :p But what other updates did tdev push out?

4. Hachiroku92

Hachiroku92
    Expand Collapse

Just making sure man, like I said I know my internet is shit so I just wanted to make sure if it was me or not. I just my laptop back from being repaired so I dont know how long this update was out for.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

the entirety of the existing update threads are bitching about slow speeds :p We have a massively disprportionate rate of seeders vs leechers.
    The new update uses torrent technology. IE you have a network of seeders uploading the file and a network of leechers downloading it. Right now few people have the update and fewer still are bothering to leave the updater running in seeder mode so there is hardly anyone for the leechers to download from resulting in slow speeds.

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

This may help you out: http://beamng.com/alpha_prerace.zip

Extract this zip file to the location where you want to install the game. Your file structure should look like this:
    7016660c-db8f-4130-bfd7-8edc410b4820.png

You will still need to run the updater after you have finished the download to get the final few megabytes worth of content. That is to prevent people from pirating the game.

Big thanks to DrowsySam for posting all of the resources shown here. I got about 3.7megabytes/s with this link, so its much faster than the 30kb/s i was getting the torrent based updater that is now implimented.

7. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

While I agree, something else is slowing down this updater too. First off, I could only manage to download at 2kb/s before I portforwarded and over 100kb/s after. I know that is "fixable" but it is odd that it isn't a plug-n-play thing. Second, I can't seed properly. I'm only seeding at ~300kb/s when my connection goes up to 4mb/s and I've maxed it out before with other torrents. (There are other ports in the updater log but they seem fairly random.)

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

That is because tdev said himself they arent the standard torrent ports (as that is how ISPs mainly detect and throttle traffic) so I guess he chose somewhat random ones

9. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I mean they vary a lot. I only forwarded the main two, but I'm not sure if the other 50 will help at all.

10. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice