Smoothing error

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Leet34, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Been googling like an hour fix for this annoying glitch ... Anyone has got solution ?

rffd.png

2. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

You need to use edge-split modifier and change the angle value until it looks right. You get better results by marking edges sharp and then usind edge-split.

3. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Strange, when i apply it nothing changes... Tried many angles but nothing. Downloaded blender today so i dont know whats the problem, im used to 3ds Max.

4. Kirahl

Kirahl
    Expand Collapse

Maybe try making a modifier and then press left ctrl+L and select modifiers. Make sure to have everything selected.

5. Doug7070

Doug7070
    Expand Collapse

Here's a quick step-by-step on how you should be able to use the edge split modifier:
    Select a single part, like part of the body or a door.
    Add an edge split modifier to it. The default angle for the modifier is 30 degrees, this means that if the angle between two faces is greater than 30 degrees it will split the edge between them, which is what makes the shading look right.
    You will need to add an edge split modifier to each part that you want to be split, which I assume is all of them.
    If you need further refining, select the part you want to improve and enter edit mode (tab), then select the edges which you want to be sharp. With your edges selected press CTRL+E and choose "mark sharp." This will only work if the edge split modifier for that part has the box marked "sharp edges" checked.

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

It happens because Blender doesn't work with smoothing groups, while 3DS do. So, if you are used to 3DS, I don't see why you use Blender. If it's for the DAE importer, try googling, dunno if 3DS has one by default.

7. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Max's DAE exporter totally sucks, it messes up the geometry and other things and just makes the file bigger than it is when exported by blender. BTW i imported into blender original covet model, not edited one in 3ds max.

I will try out and then i will tell if im succesfull.

EDIT: It appears that adding edge split modifier is not possible to a selection of multiple objects, however it works for a single object. So i have to apply it to each object :mad:. Thanks for the help.

#7 Leet34, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  8. Kirahl

Kirahl
    Expand Collapse

That's what ctrl+L is for. If you select all objects, make the edge split modifier and then use ctrl+L and select Modifiers to apply to all.

9. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Got it, but nevermind i allready did it for each object and working in game. Thanks. BTW do you know N/B ? If yes and if you are skilled then look at my thread because i need help with getting a new part to work.

10. Kirahl

Kirahl
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, can't help with the N/B. I'm still learning to model myself and need to be able to do that first.

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

you just need to add some beams connecting a few nodes on the rollcage to a few nodes on the chassis.

12. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

If i just knew how to do it... I dont know the "code" to put in for it to work.

I need some reference first, like everyone else who starts with N/B. I was finding for some reference in other covet parts, but i didnt find anything.

#12 Leet34, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice