---SOLVED--- Audio receiver question? ---SOLVED----

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Rydog106, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Rydog106

Rydog106
    Expand Collapse

So basically I don't have a sub-woofer for my setup, and I am wondering is there a way to send the "bass" signal through the normal speakers? The speakers that I have, have 1 15" woofer and 5" mid range + 1" tweeter. (I have two of these) Model# Linear Dynamics PR-950s (6 ohms average)

Receiver (Mine): Sony STR-K9900P
    Has Pre-out (Sub-woofer port)
    90 watts per channel @6 ohms (AVG)
    This is what I have found most common on the sites that I have looked at.
    Reciever (Dads): Kenwood-KR-V7040
    Doesn't have pre-out or sub-port.
    100 watts per channel @8 ohms (AVG)
    This is what I have found most common on the sites that I have looked at.

P.S Don't tell me these don't have the capability to take the bass because the reciver that my dad has (Kenwood-KR-V7040) will rock the house with the speaker connected but sense he gave me the speakers (He got new ones_ I had to use the receiver that I have.

His receiver doesn't have a sub port so it automatically send the bass signal to the speakers. What I am wondering is that can I change a setting on my reciever to make it do the same thing. I know that these recievers are older but we don't use them to watch movies we use them to run music. I am not running music through the radio, I am running through the songs that I have on my computer.

My hope is that I can atleast more bass out of the speakers I am not expecting amazing bass but I at least want some. Right know there is none.

Any help will be appreciated.

I am sorry if I put this in the wrong category.

#1 Rydog106, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. g0tsl33p14

g0tsl33p14
    Expand Collapse

Re: Audio receiver question? Wasn't sure where to put this?

Subwoofers are speakers run on low frequency. I may be wrong but it looks like you are okay to connect the wires naturally with adapters. The power and resistances look close if they are enough to drive each other. No fault if your tube blows being pinched.

Example of worthless inventions are the full car subwoofer built on Mythbusters. To detract from your question in the sake of explanation, the Mythbusters attached a crank to the drive shaft of a economy vehicle, filled then entire cabin with speaker cone aimed at the roof, and upon giving the engine fuel the drive shaft sent the speaker up and down at theoretically 1 hz. Their objective was how much abuse the thing could take, or something, and when the crank disconnected from the speaker their engine redlined and poof.

Returning to focus, that is why for one reason certain subwoofer enclosures have standard wiring inputs, but their size does matter in resistance. To stup-I-fy your question further, it is a question of how much power you can match up from your receiver and the speaker selection you choose (resistance).

I unfortunately cannot help you further without building myself. Good luck, and have fun hacking into your subwoofer question to splice an answer over the wire. Someone else follow up with better help for the guy.

P.S. - Your receiver name looks tubeless generation I think.

3. Rydog106

Rydog106
    Expand Collapse

I have been doing more research on ways to connect a sub to the Ken-wood KR-V7040 (My dads) and I found that on a few sites it has said that I can connect the sub to tape 2 and still use video 1 or 2 to run the music? The sub-woofer is the (Pioneer SW-8-K 100W Powered Subwoofer Single) The way they say that I can connect it is byt using red/white RCA cables from the back of the sub to the tape 2 Red/White inputs? Is this true and would it work at all?

Pictures
    Kenwood Back.jpg 20150417_192459.jpg On the one the right if you can't read the screen it says video 2 then up in the left had corner it says tape 2.

Thanks in advance for the help?

4. g0tsl33p14

g0tsl33p14
    Expand Collapse

The resistance same? The power little less? Connect speakers same as dad. / Upgrade to sub Pre-out put wire between pre-out and woofer. That is how to make system.

5. Rydog106

Rydog106
    Expand Collapse

English??? I am confused on what you are saying

6. g0tsl33p14

g0tsl33p14
    Expand Collapse

Oh my, no I am not speaking English, I am speaking stereo.

3. Connect the wires the same way your dad had to connect them, using speaker channel pre-outs, that SHOULD work. If you want to control woofers separate that will require a direct wire connection between woofer only and woofer RCA pre-out.

http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

ALSO, the "bass" signal originates at your source. If you are listening to Prince - Purple Rain, well that song does not have any "bass." IF you don't have bass, run audio software EQUALIZER and increase VOLUME over LOW HZ (60hz).

#6 g0tsl33p14, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  7. Rydog106

Rydog106
    Expand Collapse

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me with my little problem but I am glad to say that I got it figured out.

P.S A sub woofer can work out of tape 2 you just have to manually adjust the volume from the sub.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice