[solved]Separate "Max RPM" and over rev damage

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Michaelflat, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

For example if I have an engine and a race ECU which has a higher rev limit, the engine will be magically stronger. It'd be nice to separate them as you could have valve upgrades that increase damage threshold

2. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

We have that already. MaxRPM is what controls the damage, rev limiter or natural torque dropoff control the actual max reachable rpm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I mean, if I increase the max RPM using a different part, it increases the RPM where damage starts to occur. It would be nice to have them separate, so for example a base engine with 6K rev limit with 7K rev damage could be increased to 6.5K rev limit as a part. But still damage at the same point.

4. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

As I said above, just don't change the max rpm then. You can adjust the rev limiter and torque curves independently.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

I tihnk what he means is that the ECU in the game decides when the damage start instead of the engine and the revolutions. If he gets an ECU to go past the stock Rev limiter but inside the new revlimiter the engine wont get damaged.

6. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

That already happens though. If you put a maxed out race ECU on a stock engine, it'll destroy its valves before it can reach the limiter most of the time.

7. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Then OP is wrong.

8. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking of different values for fuel cutoff and engine damage. But then diamondback mentioned an old trick that I forgot about, simply setting the torque beyond your "fake" limit to 0. Then the revs don't go any further, yet there is still more (so over-revving doesn't damage it, until you reach the "maxRPM")

• Like Like x 1
  9. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

maxRPM = rpm after which damage occurs. revLimiterRPM = rpm that rev limiter comes in. revLimiterRPM does not affect damage points at all.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice