Some new vehicle thread rules.

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by DrowsySam, Mar 26, 2014.

?

Do you like this idea?

1. Yes

92.2%
  2. No? Explain why in the comments with valid reasons.

7.8%
  1. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

It's sad to see over 90% of the vehicle threads dead because people can't Jbeam, or attempt to learn.

I'd prefer it if you had to show something in-game before you can start a thread, that way we don't get people posting a front bumper and leaving it at that, I think it would save a lot of space wasted by dead threads, and it would keep the forum tidy and organised.

I know there's many out there that love to show off their models and stuff, but it's sad to see none of them actually get anywhere, so I think a simple rule that makes it so you need to show some n/b progress, even a simple chassis, that's not hard.

Now before I get hated, we all like to see modelling progress, but I think that should stay in the non-premium showroom, then when you're ready, and have Jbeam progress to show, migrate over to the BeamNG.drive forum.

I know many others agree with me, dkutch, Dennis, etc, it would be a great thing.

Pros?
    • Tidy forum
    • Active and progressing projects
    • No time wasters
    • ??
    • Profit

Cons?
    • Can't think of any

Let me know what you think, this way it wont hurt anyone, you can show model progress in the other showroom to gather feedback and advice from the whole of the community, and when you're ready with Jbeam progress, post in the BeamNG.drive forum.

2. destroyer8769

destroyer8769
    Expand Collapse

I feel like this is a good idea, now, I haven't made any mods yet (haven't found time) but I do want to, and i think this is a good idea, for the reasons that you stated in the pro's. Plus it would get more non-beamng drive owners that watch the forums interested in the game.

3. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

I think it's a good idea as well, as it is rather saddening/annoying to see at least half of the car mods going nowhere. As you stated, modelers can post their models in the community showroom, then have a dedicated thread for the jbeaming of a vehicle in the mod showroom. I think it would be great if every thread in the mod showroom was certain of being finished:)

4. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

I do not agree, I think it will lower moral overall and discourage people more from actually learning, when someone post a "bumper" its a moral booster for that person to see people comment on it and tell them Keep Going buddy! I know it was for me.. for that I worked harder and now I have a full car in-game and jbeamed, without even that small support from the forums, I probably would have given up and went to just playing Far Cry 3 or something instead of putting long hours into learning Beamng.

I agree there should be a thread section called Jbeam. It would draw alot of attention and many would visit since that is the thing most holding users back. People are giving up because the learning curve is very high, unlike something like Maya 3D programming software, where soon as you open the software an automated tutorial system teaches you how to use it like your 2 years old (excellent teaching method to use by the way) Beamng does not do that at this time, you have to study the code and learn it pretty much yourself so moral is already at a low state. We need a dedicated thread labeled "jbeam", not a broad subforum called "programming" where all manor of code is discussed. We need one for jbeam itself. People will start to post tutorials on how to jbeam myself included.

It would not be a good idea to take away showroom rights only to those who have a model in game, 80% of users on this forum cannot put a model in game, they will feel slighted by this and we will lose a huge part of our community to "Far Cry 3" etc.

#4 ThreeDTech21, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  5. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

You did not read what I said. I suggest you read over it again and rethink your answer.

So my idea basically makes what you said a lot better, you wont be limited to 20% of the members.

6. n0ah1897

n0ah1897
    Expand Collapse

While this is a good idea, the whole repository thing will pretty much negate the need to do this.

7. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Removed by user

#7 ThreeDTech21, Mar 26, 2014
  8. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Good job quoting the whole damn OP.

To hell with "I've made a fender and it's really quite good" threads. The Development Screens thread exists for a reason.

9. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Removed by user

#9 ThreeDTech21, Mar 26, 2014
  10. WrongBrothers

WrongBrothers
    Expand Collapse

What I think would be better is two sub forums in the showroom. One for projects in the modeling stage, and one for projects that are in-game. This also makes it so you can still only see the WIP cars if you own the game.

11. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

^This is what we need

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Well considering you quoted the entire original post, you should realise that it said to move the fender crap to the non owners exclusive section and that the no more fender proposal should apply to the showroom in the BeamNG.Drive exclusive section only. Carry on moaning at sam all you like, its in the OP which clearly you have read and opted to either misunderstand or ignore.

- - - Updated - - -

Now this is a solution I don't think anyone can argue over,

13. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Removed by user

#13 ThreeDTech21, Mar 26, 2014
  14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Quoting your entire post for clarity, hmm, you also opt to ignore the no posting fender crap, hypocrite

15. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

Removed by user

#15 ThreeDTech21, Mar 26, 2014
  16. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

What the hell are you talking about?

I said people can still post their stuff, their cubes or bumpers, whatever, but I think it would be better in the OTHER showroom, there's no downside to it, so I think you're missing the point.
    What good does clogging up the only mod download section we have do? People go there to download mods, not look at bumpers.

You can post 'fender crap' in the public showroom, that way, people like you, can get the attention and support needed to carry on, seeing as you can't do without it.

Then when you're ready, made progress, and have some of it Jbeamed and in-game, go ahead and post in the BeamNG.drive showroom, what's hard to understand about that?

You misunderstood what I mean by "I'd prefer it if you had to show something in-game before you can start a thread".
    I continued to state "this way it wont hurt anyone, you can show model progress in the other showroom to gather feedback and advice from the whole of the community, and when you're ready with Jbeam progress, post in the BeamNG.drive forum."

Not once did I say it will be completely forbidden to post model progress etc.

17. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

I 100% agree. There are more than 100 mods on this forum, about 15-20 have been released. That is a horrible ratio.

18. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

You have obviously never visited the RoR forums then. Its like a friggin ghost town there, zero mods thanks to this same sort of rule that Sam is suggesting...

I'm all for this idea, just like I was a year ago when me and a couple others suggested it...

What? Who are you anyways?

#18 dkutch, Mar 26, 2014
  19. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I think it might be better if we have the current showroom divided into "3d models showroom" and "in game showroom."

It would be a good middle ground. People post their cubes in a section I won't pay attention to, and working mods and progress goes into a section I do pay attention to.

20. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

This. I came in here to post it vs the un-beamng showroom and I'm late.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice