WIP Beta released Sounds development hub (EA)

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Tronadorous, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Tronadorous

Tronadorous
    Expand Collapse

New sample up, this time, for the mod car Fiat Uno! Obviously this sound can change but for now I've used samples from an older Fiat model mainly the 131 abarth, with sample help from a variety of sources and also some vehicles that uses a more raspier mid range without being too overblown.

*EDIT* updated, cleaner sound samples/idle:

I love an old I4 sound. I may use a slightly more modern 90s era I4 sample provided I can find something which fits the type of noisey, tuned up and even riced sounding version this car has been seen to exhibit.

As always, let me know what you all think :), I have plenty of other samples in the work for multiple I4 cars so, by the time I'm done we should roughly have a choice of 5 different I4 samples covering 30 years of engines :).

#21 Tronadorous, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Damn, just discovered this page... If only devs would put so much difference into the engine sounds like you do :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. on3cherryshake

on3cherryshake
    Expand Collapse

Hi! I know we have a conversation already but this could be a cool place to communicate as well. I feel the need for friendly competition with you for best sound mod, but I really don't want to do that and I'm sure you don't either, haha! :D We should work together on stuff if you'd like!

I wanna commend you on the idea for this thread though, honestly it's a genius idea because you can get direct feedback and requests from people who want to be involved. The community could also help us get sound samples we couldn't find otherwise too!

I also definitely want to learn to record sound myself and learn the new method. I definitely don't know how to do this yet, and learning it would help me boost the quality of my sounds. And maybe I can help you too! :)

4. Tronadorous

Tronadorous
    Expand Collapse

That's the challenge :). I want to collect samples from people's real cars too ASAP because it would go so far into making a wonderful collective of sound samples for as many different vehicles as possible :). I'll keep going and make as much as I can in the mean time!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

I have access to a 2.5L N/A 4 (Boxer/H, whatever you want to call the Flat 4) if you need samples for that, don't know much about recording so I don't know where I'd record to avoid wind noise and echoes.

6. Jackets64

Jackets64
    Expand Collapse

That might be a good aftermarket engine to the sunburst!

7. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

It belongs to my ride ;)

8. Tronadorous

Tronadorous
    Expand Collapse

Superb! That would be great if you could provide. Recording wise, is your car manual or auto? If manual, and you can find a quiet area then Neutral idle, revving at 1k/2k/3k/4k etc up to redline sound samples would be perfect. You can record with anything decent like a camera mic or a phone but obviously the better and clearer sounding the device the better, such as a cheap dictaphone or microphone.

You want to have the samples length at each "mark" so to speak from 6-10 seconds so I can hopefull create clean loops. So, idle up to 10 seconds, 1000-redline in 1k or 500rpm incremenets or 800 or whatever increment you like as long as it's an equal increase up to redline, no more than holding each RPM for 10 seconds tops, don't wanna overheat anything or strain anything.

If auto then your best best it to cover or wrap something in sock or cold rag/towel and places it under the hood somewhere that it won't touch or be near the battery, somewhere it won't slide around too much and of course, somewhere it won't fall down into the engine! Usually in the slots at the sides of the engine or, outside the engine just below the wipers in that groove the water spray goes down would be ideal then cruise around slowly at the revs.

I'm uploading the Fiat Uno sound now for you guys to try out :). It's not a drop and install archive, you need the Fiat Uno mod first. Open my archive and just place the "art" folder straight into the archive, nothing more, so you have art - mod info - vehicles as the 3 folders when you open the one_naguluna zip. Then, place my engine.jbeam file into "\vehicles\uno_naguluna" so it is beside the other two engines already located here. Finally In game, load up the car, go to "engines" and select my "1.6l Tuned 131" engine and viola, custom sounds ahoy! See OP for download.

Any troubles/feedback please let me know. Note, it has different/better idle now and volume adjustments so it's not as garish :).

#28 Tronadorous, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  9. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

I can also provide two different engine starter sounds, although they will not be loopable.

10. Tronadorous

Tronadorous
    Expand Collapse

That's great :). Having some issue with starter samples at the moment, mainly in that i want to tell the car to NOT start before the starting engine sound sample has finished initiating it's loop so will need some help looking into this. So yeah whatever you are able to get is all great stuff. Obviously, the quieter your surroundings as possible the better, bird noise or "city" ambience can be hard to remove at times but usually time of day (night) helps a lot :).

11. on3cherryshake

on3cherryshake
    Expand Collapse

I know how you could loop them :) If your car is equipped with it, try flood mode. Hold your foot to the floor on the gas pedal and crank the engine. With flood mode, no fuel gets to the engine so it just cranks and cranks and cranks. And from there you can loop the sound :D
    This is how I used to get startup noises!

12. Tronadorous

Tronadorous
    Expand Collapse

Uploaded Uno sounds again to avoid the intake system messing with the sounds :).

13. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

I would also like to add, if your car doesn't have clear flood mode, you can also just pull the fuel pump fuse. Just let the car idle till it runs out of fuel, then crank it over. And this mod seems really interesting, I might be able to provide samples for the modern 4cylinders as well. I have the 16' Elantra GT manual.

14. galaxynote2

galaxynote2
    Expand Collapse

I have a starter motor sound from a VW TDI engine, already looped and ingame. I'll try to make a video soon

15. Tronadorous

Tronadorous
    Expand Collapse

I have plenty of ready to go samples for my diesel truck, the piegeon sound mod, and the majority of sounds i've made thus far however the problem is the game starts the engines too quickly before the sounds have fully played. This is where i'm trying to find out how to stop the vehicle from starting for x amount of time in game before I tell it too :).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jackets64

Jackets64
    Expand Collapse

Cool!

17. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

that moment when a forum user makes better sounds than the Devs themselves.........

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Tronadorous

Tronadorous
    Expand Collapse

Heh, thanks, they can hire me if they like...all I would need is a mic upgrade, some monies and travel time to collect vehicle samplse :D.

In the mean time, new issue headaches! Trying to figure out why the idle to rpm to idle samples do that annoying "phasing" effect almost like they are overlapping each other. The absolutely should not be because my on/off samples are exclusive from each other so there should be no overlap. Will have to investigate.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Octothorp Obelus

Octothorp Obelus
    Expand Collapse

Are you able to have a sound for the engine and a sound for the exhaust (Like front and rear of the vehicle) or does fmod handle the exhaust sound based upon some calculation?

20. Tronadorous

Tronadorous
    Expand Collapse

Currently no. The game handles "direction" sort of dynamically. Behind is slightly muffled, inside cabin is "interior" filter muffle and front of engine is a higher gain filter, dynamically speaking, recording a sample from the engine bay results in a good balance of rear and interior.

I'd like to add my own off load exhaust sputters but will have to research into how i can get exhaust to sputter/backfire more offen and also how i can change the backfires too, that's in process!

Added yet another update for Diesel mod, smoothing, averaging, pop fixing, blend adjustments...call me the super tweaker, never perfect xD.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice