Spa Francorchamps

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by aljowen, Jun 15, 2013.

1. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Currently working on a project in blender. Please remember there is NO guarantee that this will get finished, although i like to think it will.

I cannot claim accuracy on this because accurate heightmaps of the track are not easy to get hold of, but i have used a layout of the track to model over. so instead i will call it authentic :p

Please bear in mind the actual track part is 1/3 of the width you see, i did this so the sides could taper of to prevent collision issues

Pics so far:

Attached Files:

• Elevation.jpg
    • End of staight.jpg
    • Overhead with map.jpg
    • Overhead.jpg
    • Raidillon.jpg
    #1 aljowen, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. MindEraser

MindEraser
    Expand Collapse

Oh man, fantastic!

3. Rocking_Star

Rocking_Star
    Expand Collapse

Very nice!
    Looks Great so far!

Finally someone's (other than Hutch) working on a nice race track.

4. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

It looks awesome, can't wait to try out the Bolide on it :D

5. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Is this for beamng? Because you could do it in Torque3D, there is a road editor.

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Don't expect it to be anywhere near as good as anything he makes.

I have put the track into rigs of rods 0.4 just to test it out with a vehicle and it is quite nice to drive on. I used that because it is the closest i can get to testing it. Will probably put it into the torque 3d map editor next.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes i know there is, but last time i tried that it seemed very much targeted towards city type roads, as far as i could tell it wasn't that powerful of a tool.

My plan is to make the road in blender and then do the terrain in Torque3D as well as trees etc. That way i have the familiarity of blender as well as the power of an actual heightmap done with the game engine (more efficient) as well as trees done by the game (once again more efficient). Hope that answers any more technical questions regarding how i am thinking of making it.

7. Rocking_Star

Rocking_Star
    Expand Collapse

I know.
    But I still expect it to be Great :)
    Good Luck!

8. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

Cool. Spa Francorchamps is an interesting race track. Also it has a good history :)

9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it is a very interesting track, personally i chose it because it has lots of elevation which is something that i love because flat tracks aren't quite the same.

I may have more progress to show on Wednesday, i have an exam tomorrow so i have other things to be doing tonight, such as procrastination because of revision.

#9 aljowen, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  10. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

Indeed, just like the Nurburgring, tracks with some elevation are much more challenging. Blind corners, loosing grip on top of a hill, steep hills, ...

I have exams too, I know how you feel :p
    Break a leg! as people in Great Britain say. (Google it if you don't know the exact meaning, I really don't want you to break one of your legs ;))

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Thank you i am in the UK too, just got back. It was really easy, in other words the grade boundaries will be stupidly high. (ocr Biology 7)

Here is an screenshot of the track model in the torque 3d engine. This was just put in as a test and was not saved as i was just trying things out. Im not sure wether this still exists in BeamNG but torques built in vehicle physics are not very tolerant of any slight model issues. So i will have to clean up the model in blender before re exporting it for Torque 3d again.

The track is also too wide which will be very easy to fix.

Attached Files:

• New Bitmap Image.jpg
    #11 aljowen, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  12. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

Well, I'm actually in Holland and going to school in Belgium, we saw that particular sentence -Break a leg!- in English class :p. I live near the border and the quality of the belgian school system is much higher than in Holland (I experienced it myself.).
    For me (my level is; 5-ASO, Economy-Modern Languages) some of the exams are easy while others are difficult. It's one of the highest school levels available in Belgium, I'm not trying to show off though.

Back on-topic: it really looks good! It will be very cool to drive that small Ibishu around this track, really push the little car to -and over- the limits :)

13. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Its quite interesting that they teach you that because i hardly ever hear anyone say it in a serious manor in a normal sentence, its almost as if it is an inside joke. Although i guess that is the point of the phrase. But i wouldn't have guessed that English wasn't your first language so they must be doing something correctly, your written English is better than most of the locals (me likely included) :p

I have adjusted the tracks width. I still need to sort out collision issues, in other words i need to clean up certain areas where there are tight corners because the bezier curve + array system of road making doesn't do so well in those areas. Im starting to have render distance issues when taking screen shots :p

- - - Updated - - -

:/ really.....
    Good job it happened now rather than later i guess. (see crash image)

- - - Updated - - -

Try to ignore the artefacts that are showing. I'm currently matching the height map to the level of the road. Im not sure whether i should edit the heightmap in Torque3D because it seems very unintuitive. So i may see if i can find out how to export the heightmap so i have road elevation and modify the heightmap in L3DT.

I experienced another crash but this time it was just the graphics card drivers that crashed so a ctrl+alt+del rebooted the graphics card drivers and everything unfroze. Apart from opera which just went black as it does every time anything crashes.

Attached Files:

• Track left In torque3D.jpg
    • track right in Torque3D.jpg
    • New Bitmap Image.jpg
    • whole map.jpg
    #13 aljowen, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  14. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Are you talking about the terrain editor? It seems pretty good to me.

terrain.jpg

What I do is create the road with the road editor and then edit the terrain with the terrain editor to match the shape.

15. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I asked LJFhutch and he said he uses L3DT and world machine 2. Personally i have experience with L3DT from rigs of rods, it is free and far superior as far as i could tell you from what you get in Torque3D

- - - Updated - - -

Really irritating issue number 2.

When you click save when making a map, it actually doesn't save anything as far as i can tell :/
    Even though i clicked save multiple times while making progress, Torque3D failed to tell me it hadn't saved a single thing.

Guess i will have to start again and figure out how to make it actually save the damn map.

#15 aljowen, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  16. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

The same happens with me. If you find out how to save something, tell me please.

17. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Use the save as before using the save tool, as far as i can tell

18. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

What? Just completing the post because of the minimum 10 character thing.

19. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Use the "save as" button for the first time you save, i think after that point you are ok to use the "save" button. Its stupid that they don't bring up a prompt when you try and save for the first time regardless but not much i can do about that. Also that invisible(ish) text thing is pretty cool

- - - Updated - - -

Well, at least it saved. I'm going to give it a break for the rest of the day.

First time this has happened in along time, it is also the third crash Torque3D seems to have caused.

Attached Files:

• IMG_20130619_175729[1].jpg
  20. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

It's never crashed to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice