Released Spikes / NodeGrabber / Spikestrip 8

Spikestrip as a Prop

1. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

Edit 08.04.2022:
    There is a way better replacement mod waiting just for you, to shred some tires:
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/spike-strip.21462/
    However before installing the new fancy mod you should remove this rusty mod to avoid possible conflicts.

Edit 14.01.2022:

This mod is now outdated and won´t receive an further updates. Thank you for your support.

Edit 18.05.2020:

Fixed wrongfully overwrite of vehicle specific bindings.
    View attachment 677542

Edit 23.02.2019:

Updated to the current BeamNG version (0.15)

Edit 08.07.2018:

The model got a freshup (less complexity) and a new texture based on this. And additional the spawning process is now more fluid thanks to torsion and thomatoes50

Edit 07.07.2018:

The Gravil Grand Marshal is now able to deploy spikes on the go. The controls can be adjusted in the vehicle specific bindings section.

Edit 16.07.2016:
    From now on are the Spikes a lot resistant against external force. So now can the Spikes grab better, so the theory. ;)

Edit 15.07.2016:
    Some good Video from Neilogical

Edit 30.05.16:
    A video of the current version from WhyBeAre

Edit 07.05.16:
    Improved Physics, little Texture (if someone could make a better one, that would be really nice; the UV-Map can be adapted)

Edit 04.03.16:
    During my testing, I have created a stationary spike strip. It is unrealistic but it makes fun^^
    The download is in the forum thread

Edit 10.03.16:
    New Body and Physics properties

Release 28.02.2016:
    Greetings,
    my intention is, that I want to have a spike strip, which can be thrown out by police cars. This is my first spike strip attempt. I´m not a pro in Blender nor in jBeam programming, so it could take a lot of time before the next update comes. Yet I spend the most of the time on a design that breaks the wheels every time. The next step is to figure out how to attach the spikes to the vanilla police cars and the last step is how to detach the spikes from the car in movement.
    Tell me what you think and if you want to help me contact me on the forum.
    I´m looking forward to reading your feedback.

Credits:
    Blender Exporter plugin: http://www.beamng.com/threads/blender-exporter-plugin-0-2-0.11514/ from rmikebaker edited by thomatoes50
    Support & Feedback: you, as a part of the community
    Model: me
    JBeam: me
    Lua: me
    Texture: me

Attached Files:

#1 Neo, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Confused_Deer43

Confused_Deer43
    Expand Collapse

Can I suggest you post a video example and a clearer picture of what the spikes look like at the moment?
    I gave them a try myself and they do as told, much more realistic if only one pair of wheels hits it rather than all 4 due to the way this is made but it's a good job nevertheless, does as explained here!

Will the model be getting a better look though eventually? it's rather simple at the moment

3. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

First thanks for your post
    A video is in work (it takes some time cause to my crappy computer)
    And of course gets the model better^^
    My reference for the model is

#3 Neo, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  4. simonfrat123

simonfrat123
    Expand Collapse

Good work soo far

5. Cool Username

Cool Username
    Expand Collapse

This looks great! Can't wait to have another working spike strip in the game again.

6. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

blender.png
    so far so good

• Like Like x 1
  7. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

8. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

In my opinion you should make it a little shorter, because some cars could bottom out and rip bumpers off, and you dont want the po-po being sued for their bumpers.

9. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

2016-03-04_00001.jpg
    During my testing I have created a stationary spike strip. It is unrealistic but it makes fun^^
    The download is in the attachments.

Attached Files:

10. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

11. Superchu Frostbite

Superchu Frostbite
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty sure that to have it deploy from a police car, you are going to utilize break groups. if you configure it right, you SHOULD be able to pop it off easily with the node-grabber. Looking at the Sunburst RS wing might help, because it is really easy to rip off. But IRL, police-issue spike strips are folded in the trunk, and deployed by the officer while stopped by the side of the road when needed. By the by, it's spelled 'model'.

12. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

@Superchu Frostbite

First thanks for your correction.
    Your suggestion is interesting, but I want to go one step further. I want the spikes dropped with a button press like the old Canon. Nadeox1 gave me an idea how i can make it. I will try to place the spikes at the bottom of the trunk and drop them there with a button press. Yet I have to figure out how to use MultiDAE, because the Introduction from Nadeox1 doesn´t work for me :(. After that i will see if MultiDAE is only restricted for replacing the flexbodys or it can add new stuff like the small Trailer for cars with a tow hitch.
    And to your real life parallel: my first idea was a folded spike strip like reallife ones which can fit in a trunk, but the game engine is yet not designed for that and my scripting experience is too low for such a complex mod ;).

13. Superchu Frostbite

Superchu Frostbite
    Expand Collapse

No problem, I am trash at modding, but pretty good at thinking, On the stationary model, would it be possible to arm/disarm the spikes using hydros? and if you made a folding model, it might be able to unfold with hydros too.

14. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it would be possible to arm/disarm it with hydros on the stationary model. But a non-stationary folding model with hydros, I think thats doesn´t work.

15. bluehawk360

bluehawk360
    Expand Collapse

do you think that you could make it lower to the ground? like cut off a tiny bit off the bottom (or make the ramp to the spikes have more length to make the transfer less sudden)

maybe you could also make it where It can drive? (like to drive to a certain position instead of teleporting it

also maybe make the spikes retractible (using the blinker keys?) like the d series tow truck maybe

idk these are just ideas and you probably won't even see them but I hope you can consider some of these ideas
    ps: low to ground cars do not work on this (the frame gets caught on the spikes)

pps: high speeds cause the vehicle to move through the ramp part of the spikes

16. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

@bluehawk360 Thanks for your suggestions. I won´t make it driveable (sry :( I can´t make nice drive physics), but yet it is often mentioned that it would be nice to have them retractible. So I think to make it. And of course thanks for your idea with the lowering of the spikes. I will it test now.

17. bluehawk360

bluehawk360
    Expand Collapse

no problem!
    I understand about the driving part lol I can't even make a stick person In beamng drive much less a spike strip

18. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

19. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

Complete rework of all Beam connections. And some test to get the Spikestrip moving.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice