Split/Screen Multiplayer (Local)

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by DW_Drummer, Sep 6, 2015.

1. DW_Drummer

DW_Drummer
    Expand Collapse

Why is it that everytime I see people talking about (Local) 2 Player on PC games they always argue that sharing a keybooard sucks -_-
    How do people not understand that PC's support controllers?

Obviously online multiplayer in this game will take a ton of time to work out if it ever even does.

So the only solution I see fit would be 2 player offline (same PC) with the screen cut in half for each player.
    You can use 2 wired or wireless 360 controllers. If it possible to map AI to another vehicle in this game why can one not simply
    just map a 2nd controller to another vehicle and then just tweak the camera so it is mounted on the back of each car in each players own part of the screen.

This is the easiest solution I can think of for multiplayer, and probably the most practical.

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Attached Files:

• 2015-08-17_00001.jpg
    #1 DW_Drummer, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

I would actually really love this. I play with my friends and they dont all have powerful pc's and all. and we play a lot of games but theres not a lot of good local pc games. We actually talked about this today. Online multiplayer is a bit more hard to do but how hard could it be to add a split screen. i would love this a lot. Please make this a thing in the future.

3. Possibly_Pos

Possibly_Pos
    Expand Collapse

Seeing as to this is posted again would it be possible just to have two vehicles be controlled at the same time? Like no split screen but just one camera say in the air and the two vehicles are controlled by the same keyboard. Would this work for a temp local multiplayer? Might be a dumb question.

4. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

Splitscreen is dead.

5. NaxNir

NaxNir
    Expand Collapse

NO, even if it is, I totally support this idea [@OP].

• Like Like x 2
  6. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I agree, splitscreen is not dead.
    For something like BeamNG it's actually better than online multiplayer (IMO)

7. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

Why not LAN. You can play with someone on the otherside of the world. Using Hamachi I mean :D

8. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

My internet is sort of crap sometimes, so it's not really something I'd enjoy.

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Because its too complex to be done properly. LAN and Online code are one and the same btw...

10. NaxNir

NaxNir
    Expand Collapse

Also, sometimes I experience server-lag in GTAV Online, Gmod and Minecraft etc., just imagine how it would be in BeamNG :/
    Anyway let's not derail the thread and keep it about split-screen multiplayer :D

EDIT: I think @NistingurA thinks that when Hamachi is used it has the same server-lag as being on the same network... It doesn't work like that.

11. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Dummiesman has gotten quite far with local multiplayer, but has since stopped for various reasons. I have an idea of how it could be done by us, the players (sorry tdev and friends). Pull inputs from a controller (or keyboard if you like) and run it through the AI. I'd like to be able to control more than one vehicle at the same time. The only problem with the AI approach, is it isn't split screen. Still, it's better than nothing.

12. MetalMilitia623

MetalMilitia623
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad to see others posting the same idea as me. We don't need split screen. The first thing we need is the ability to tie each input to a specific vehicle that way we can control multiple vehicles at once. A camera to automatically try and keep them all on screen would be a bonus but not necessary at first. I'd just like to see the proof of concept of controlling two or more vehicles with those inputs.

The problem with split screen is it requires the game be rendered twice and with a game like this at this point in time it is in no way optimized enough for split screen to be possible.

13. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

If it were possible to have two different controller inputs, you could just go freecam and watch a derby from above while you and your friend fight each other.

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Should be noted that each viewport would be half the resolution. But still, render costs for 2 viewports are higher than just 1.

15. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

The only thing I don't like about split screen is how off putting it can be. I have two monitors, so would love to have the option to use a monitor per person if this ever becomes a thing.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Vertical split screen and stretch the image across both monitors. Or if the monitors are in the windows settings as above and below each other, you can have horizontal splitscreen stretch across 2 monitors too. Its doable without the game having to do much to support it.

17. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

I don't stretch the game over two screens as I have odd size monitors, but would like it to run multiplayer in two windows so I can position one on each monitor. That way I can then turn the screens away from each other and not get distracted by the other player. Would be better for hide and seek missions as you can't peek so easily too.

18. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

I never understood why PC game devs wouldn't try to do this. I mean, they know that people can have multiple monitors on their PC, why not let them use them for better "split-screen."

OT: It might be possible to get multiple vehicles being controlled via the AI. Just remember that, right now, we only have one viewport, so it won't be split screen. I wouldn't even call it local multiplayer. It's just being able to control more than one vehicle at the same time. I'm going to look into it more later today.

19. Username

Username
    Expand Collapse

Enjoy playing at 5 FPS normally and 1 FPS when you crash lmao.

20. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Could you explain? Computers that can handle more than one vehicle would be able to handle the sort of multiplayer I propose.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice