Solved Splitting up The WC USA city building meshes?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Kimmykix, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Kimmykix

Kimmykix
    Expand Collapse

I want to make a new map with a city, and want to use the city buildings from West Coast USA (As I'm not a modeler, so I can't really source my own building models), but they are all grouped up together into large objects like so:

So how would be the best/easiest way to split them up into individual buildings once again? Hopefully without having to re-do the texture maps, etc for each building?

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

3. Kimmykix

Kimmykix
    Expand Collapse

Unfortunately I don't have the slightest idea how to use blender....well, ill have to ask around to see if i can find someone that knows how to do such a thing, or just not have a city in my map =/.

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Blender cheat sheet, get one of those, printed out preferably, helps a lot as whole program is keyboard driven, even there are UI buttons, keyboard shortcuts do work much better.

Also as Nadeox mentioned, there is a lot of tutorials. youtube etc.

Generally to do what you want is select object, press tab, choose face mode, right click on face, hold shift and right click other faces that are part of the building.

After you have selected one building, press P(art) and menu should pop up, choose (S)election and you have one building separated, continue doing this for the rest.

After done, you need to name buildings, names with dot in them are useless, like part.001 Collada and BeamNG don't work too well with such, so you need to name those so that there are not dot in name.

Then you just export buildings one by one, or use small group of buildings if possible as it can help a bit with performance, if group uses same texture atlas.

Making colmesh to them is recommended though as you can then add buildings to forest brush, good part of that is that many of the same buildings will render almost like one building in terms of performance, more than 1 building added through forest brush adds just polygons while it seems that more than 1 building added as static object adds more of performance hogs.

https://wiki.beamng.com/Creating_static_objects

Then some performance related stuff, which might be something to ignore, especially if not experience from 3D modeling, but useful to know.
    Staying below 7 000 000 or so total polygons is not very difficult and allows map to run with practically any GPU, staying below 3000 or so drawcalls is much harder, but around 2000 drawcalls and almost any CPU can run the map, over 3000 and only fastest intel CPU can run the map, also less you can keep drawcalls, more cars you can use on a map. Use ctrl-f twice to examine those values in game.

Drawcalls, mostly amount of textures affects that, it is easy to think textures per object and attempting to keep number as low as possible, even in reality it is different texture surfaces on view that matters, but that is much more difficult concept to wrap head around (in short, same UV map and texture is like a free lunch when it comes to forest items, you can put 40 000 of those on map without a trouble).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kimmykix

Kimmykix
    Expand Collapse

Ive figured it out so far, thanks for the help :) Now to spend the time to separate all the buildings.

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice