Steering Alignment Assist

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by austint30, Sep 25, 2021.

1. austint30

austint30
    Expand Collapse

Most people who play BeamNG, I believe, are using either a controller or the keyboard to play the game. Small crashes in BeamNG can very easily throw off the alignment of the wheels making it hard to drive straight on these input devices. It is easier to counter the bent wheel alignment using a wheel, but not nearly as easy with a controller or keyboard.

It would be real nice if there was an optional assist to automatically add steering input to counteract the bent wheel alignment.

2. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

I think that @Diamondback wanted to implement something like this about 2 or so years ago but I don't think we've heard more about it since then

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 98crownvic

98crownvic
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 2
  4. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Yea... Priorities... :( The main problem with this sort of thing is that you add some delay and increase the chance for vibrations within the steering system since some adaptive control logic sits between the user input and the hydro.
    I really want to work on this in the future again, in the cases where it works correctly, it's really nice and helps a ton, but making it bulletproof is very tricky.

• Like Like x 7
  5. ikt

ikt
    Expand Collapse

So I made something similar a while ago, and some kind person updated it to the latest version.
    My version is based on my work figuring out how GTA V did it.

Demo vid:

The updated version (for 0.24.1.3) is on the person's GitHub Gist. (Press 'Raw' and save the file, backup BeamNG.Drive/lua/vehicle/input.lua and move the saved file there).

Should work fairly direct and vibrations are minimal (cutoff speed). Also works for keyboards if you change line 271 to

Code:
        if k == "steering" and (e.filter == FILTER_PAD or e.filter == FILTER_KBD) then

I think I suggested this feature to the devs, but I think it got dismissed because it couldn't be bulletproofed. I think it's fine, except for the edge case of the vehicle driving on a moving platform. If "world velocity" could be changed to "[whatever I'm driving on]s world velocity" I think it should be fairly bulletproof.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice