1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Steering wheel doesn't center when using Controller

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Highwayracer98, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Highwayracer98

Highwayracer98
    Expand Collapse

After the Hotfix yesterday I played a bit Beamng with my steering wheel (Thrustmaster TMX Pro) and adjusted the ffb settings. Today I've have used my Xone controller but the steering wheel just does not want to center.
    Neither restarting my system nor disabling all mods/starting beamng in safe mode helped. The controller is fine so that shouldn't be the problem.

Attached Files:

#1 Highwayracer98, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  2. burilkovdeni

burilkovdeni
    Expand Collapse

On your Xone controller the steering may not center because the left analog stick itself may be not centered.

3. Highwayracer98

Highwayracer98
    Expand Collapse

I tried it with another xone controller and an x360 controller and it didn't center right. Plus this happened after the hotfix got released

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, on my game, if I have wheel plugged in, that disables steering on other controllers as wheel has FFB enabled and controller has not (controllers FFB is not working with BeamNG, AFAIK).

I didn't download video as it is quite big to download from forums (might be good to upload on streamable or YT), but anyway some thoughts, which you might already have tested...

Have you checked what hardware page at controller options shows:
    upload_2018-8-5_5-31-40.png

Usually BeamNG calibrates control when you move it to one extreme to another, but maybe from some reason one end or another is not read properly now.

5. Highwayracer98

Highwayracer98
    Expand Collapse

If I recall correctly it showed me my keyboard and my xone controller

6. IAchievedBacon

IAchievedBacon
    Expand Collapse

I have the same problem. My Xbox One controller leans to the right a bit. If only there was an option to calibrate the wheel...:rolleyes:

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It does calibrate kinda automatically, when you move controller to both extremes (for example brake pedal range is just tiny, but after pressing in fully it starts to use full range), but still my rumble pad 2 leans tad to left, have to add tiny deadzone to it, I think that 2% was needed.

Also I'm quite sure it was not needed before 0.10 or so, but it can be gamepad getting bit older thing.

8. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

For Xbox controller no calibration happens like on the wheels. It should always read correctly even if you don't move the stick all the way into directions (at least, that has always been like that for me)
    Maybe his issue is just lack of deadzone, which is common on controllers.

#8 Nadeox1, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Highwayracer98

Highwayracer98
    Expand Collapse

I'll try that when I'm back home.

10. IAchievedBacon

IAchievedBacon
    Expand Collapse

I just figured that there could be like a manual calibration method to like adjust the steering to where it’s centered on controllers. Kinda like a Traxxas controller (to those who don’t know what Traxxas is they’re a radio controlled/RC company that makes RC cars, trucks, boats, and drones). You have steering, then a little knob to make adjustments. I tried to find that on Beam but I didn’t find any, but I’m wondering if this kind of system could be implemented into the settings.

11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

So instead (or in addition) of setting deadzone, you could offset center of the steering by some percentage? That could actually improve gamepad steering a bit.

12. IAchievedBacon

IAchievedBacon
    Expand Collapse

notices mistake
    Oh. I forgot that would happen. But it seems every controller I’ve had was never centered. I got a wired controller from a store I live near and after a week it was off centered. Huh...
    Edit: Actually recalibrating the steering that way would do that, but if there was lime a dead zone at a certain percentage then it could work but I wouldn’t be so sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice