Solved Stop shifting my gears :P

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by fufsgfen, Jan 22, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

So there is transmission in real world that is manually shifted automatic transmission, you choose gear and transmission stays on that gear, some do have TCC lockup so that above certain gear it is always locked and you can actually stall the engine.

In BeamNG automatic transmission does not stay in set manual mode gear, it shifts down by itself, which probably is true and fine for modern automatic transmissions, but for my application this is unwanted behavior.

Is there an override for this functionality?

I could use sequentialGearbox, but with torque converter it gives fatal exception, so that is probably not thing to do.

Also if I would like to have D mode in addition to M mode of good old fashioned electronicless nature, I would still need a way to disable this automatically downshifting feature.

Haven't found a way to disable this feature, but maybe there is some?

2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

There will be a folder on your computer somewhere that looks a bit like this:
    upload_2018-1-22_14-40-47.png
    Presumably you can duplicate one of these lua files, keep it stored in your vehicles local folder, and modify it to your vehicles needs.

However, there is a fair chunk of code inside the lua file for the auto gearbox, and frankly the commenting is quite sparse. So it would take a bit of time to fully understand and modify it correctly. However I would assume to achieve what you want, you will only need to comment some code out that deals with that specific case so that nothing happens.

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Oh yes, I know which bit of code I need to change, kinda was hoping that there would be parameter, but I guess that is needed to be done hard way then :-\

There is a loop in automatic transmission code that makes transmission to skip gears when downshifting, which is needed feature for modern boxes, but with older which can only shift one gear at the time that same loop makes them shift directly from 3rd or 4th to 1st if my memory is not failing me badly here. Unless I'm not completely mistaken, it was that same loop that I would need to change to prevent it from shifting automatically altogether.

Currently my truck mod runs on different much simpler logic, which has lot of bugs, but there is kick down and ability to control shifting by throttle position like old fashioned mechanical boxes does, but it lacks quite a bit, so this might take some time to get working :p

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Darren9, that saves me a lot of work!

There is usually wonderfully many parameters, but finding them is sometimes hard, good thing here is people who at some point has stumbled on these things :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice