WIP Suburban House - Static object, texture not showing up in-game + collision model

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Stonee, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Stonee

Stonee
    Expand Collapse

I have already made a thread on this, but I have since figured out a lot of things by myself and people helping me, and now I need some more help from you guys.

First things first, here is a small project I'm working on:

CA House.png
    I wanted to create a 3D model of a generic suburban house, so that I could place it in the game. First I made the 3D model in SketchUp (I do not recommend this, I will come back to that later), and then imported the COLLADA-file to Blender.

CA House Blender.png
    What I figured out after importing the model to Blender, is that SketchUp had created a ton of unnecessary vertices, so I had to clean up the model (took a couple of hours of not-so-intense work) This is why I strongly advice you not to create the base model in SketchUp, unless it's a simple model, then it would be relatively easy to clean up.

Next step; adding textures. After a lot of fiddling about, I managed to apply textures to the house:

CA House Blender Textured.png
    CA House Blender Textured1.png

As you can see, nothing fancy. I'm going to make the garage and front door more detailed later.

Now, to the problem. When I try importing the COLLADA-file created in Blender to the game, it appears like this:

CA House BeamNG.png
    CA House BeamNG1.png
    I must say, it's pretty awesome to see your own model in the game, especially considering I don't have any - ANY - experience with 3D modeling.
    That aside, the textures are not visible, how do I fix this? Also, there are holes in the model that doesn't show up in Blender.

I will also need help with creating custom LOD and collision meshes, as the cars run straight though the house. Some sort of step-by-step guide would be nice, the tutorials by BeamNG are cryptic to me!

#1 Stonee, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. CarBoy

CarBoy
    Expand Collapse

In Blender go to 'Texture Mode', then go into face select mode and select all the invisible faces, press 'W' and select: Flip Normals

This way you can fix the invisible faces, and for the textures, it might be that the textures haven't been applyed properly, other than that I have no idea

3. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

When ingame, hit F11 to go into creation mode. After that, click on your house and then hit the "shape" editor button ( can't remember exact names ). With your object selected in the editor window, to the right you'll see the properties tab. One of the tabs is says "materials". In the window you'll see a list with the word "<none> and below that your object's material list. Click on the list in the window then at the bottom of the window you'll see an option that says "edit the selected material" . Click on that tab and it will pull up a menu that shows you your diffuse, normal, specular maps. Select the diffuse window ( doing this from memory so it may not be completely accurate ) and search for your texture files. Make sure that it's in the same folder as your model in DDS format. Do the same for your normal and specular maps. After your textures are applied, hit the save button icon in the upper right tab window. Go back to your game and it should show up.

If your collision box doesn't work, just save your level and reload. It should work after that.

4. j0pak95

j0pak95
    Expand Collapse

You have to assign a material to the texture,
    in blender, create a new matarial, or use the one applied to the object, then,
    on the right side of the material button there is a texture button,
    make a new texture, set Type to image/video,
    add the image, and set coordinate (under mapping tab) to UV map if you have uvmapped it.
    then save it and export it, when exporting to collada, be aware that you have to export the textures with the collada file,
    to do this check all the boxes on the left side under Texture Options.

I hope this fast answer helped!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice