1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Suspension problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlueScreen, Jun 27, 2014.

1. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I've posted this on Content Creation (whaere it actually belongs), but it's dead and I'm impatient, so I put it here.

So, I was editing the Moonhawk to make a race/drag version, and I had a bunch of problems with the suspension.
    The front suspension (below) is fine, but a bit too bouncy. I've lowered BeamPrecompression to 0.9, and stiffened the springs. I also increased dampening. I've tried increasing both of these numbers to ridiculous amounts, with no results. It also seems to have a crap ton of negative camber.
    Code:
    "beams": [
              ["id1:", "id2:"],
              {"beamPrecompression":0.9, "beamType":"|NORMAL", "beamLongBound":1.0, "beamShortBound":1.0},
              //front shocks         
              {"beamPrecompression":0.9, "beamType":"|BOUNDED", "beamLongBound":0.0, "beamShortBound":0.25}, 
              {"beamSpring":242000,"beamDeform":68000,"beamStrength":188000},
              {"beamDamp":4300},
              {"beamLimitSpring":241000,"beamLimitDamp":1600},
              ["fh4r","fs1r",{"beamDampRebound":3400}],
              ["fh4l","fs1l",{"beamDampRebound":3400}],
              {"beamPrecompression":1, "beamType":"|NORMAL", "beamLongBound":1.0, "beamShortBound":1.0},
        ],
    And as for the rear suspension, the ride height and stiffness are fine, but it goes all shaky between 100-180 kph. Again I've tried several combinations but couldn't solve it.
    Springs:
    Code:
              {"beamPrecompression":0.92, "beamType":"|NORMAL", "beamLongBound":1.0, "beamShortBound":1.0},
              //rear springs
              {"beamPrecompression":0.92, "beamType":"|BOUNDED", "beamLongBound":0.08, "beamShortBound":0.45}, 
              {"beamSpring":80000,"beamDeform":174000,"beamStrength":251000},
              {"beamDamp":0},
              {"beamLimitSpring":211000,"beamLimitDamp":1200},
              ["axsr","rs1r",{"beamDampRebound":0}],
              ["axsl","rs1l",{"beamDampRebound":0}],
              {"beamPrecompression":0.92, "beamType":"|NORMAL", "beamLongBound":1.0, "beamShortBound":1.0},
        ],
    Shocks:
    Code:
              //rear shocks
              {"beamPrecompression":0.92, "beamType":"|BOUNDED", "beamLongBound":0.08, "beamShortBound":0.45}, 
              {"beamSpring":0,"beamDeform":174000,"beamStrength":251000},
              {"beamDamp":2700},
              {"beamLimitSpring":211000,"beamLimitDamp":1200},
              ["axshr","rs1r",{"beamDampRebound":3000}],
              ["axshl","rs1l",{"beamDampRebound":3000}],
        ],
    Thanks in advance to anyone who knows how to solve these issues.

Also, could anyone "translate" the spring rates to an actual unit? I just change the numbers but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

2. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Um...can you explain the code better and not be so technical we are not all Montgomery Scott from the Enterprise you know

3. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Well, the BeamSpring (spring rate) is a large amount and the BeamPrecompression (ride height) is small.
    Technically that should work, but it doesn't.
    Point is, I have no idea if the springs have ~12 kgf/mm or 3.

I don't think you can help if you have no idea how Jbeam works either :p

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

He shouldn't have to explain it to you. He is after jbeam help which generally requires someone with some knowledge of the jbeam.

5. Miura

Miura
    Expand Collapse

Units are SI units as usual, N/m for spring and N-s/m for damping.

As for the suspension problems, hard to tell without testing. It's not surprising that something goes wrong when it's that far from the original design. Front suspension could be hitting the bump stops, try increasing short/longbounds. It would need a lot more damping with the increase in spring rate, and probably more mass in the damper nodes so they don't explode.

6. FunkyHunk

FunkyHunk
    Expand Collapse

Increase the beamDampRebound on the shocks.
    It should stop the bounciness easily.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice