1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Suspension Setups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MistyMyles, Dec 26, 2017.

1. MistyMyles

MistyMyles
    Expand Collapse

Right I'm trying to setup the D-series, Roamer, Hopper and H-series as crawlers but I don't know anything about how to tune and what type of suspension it needs for a crawler. What I do know is it needs to be soft and high plus tyres low in pressure but all the damping setting I don't know about... any help is welcome! These are mine ATM.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 20171226151512_1.jpg
    • 20171226151119_1.jpg
    • 20171226151316_1.jpg
    • 20171226151414_1.jpg
  2. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

To a point. When the suspension gets too soft, it won't be able to absorb some of the smaller rocks. When your truck sits too high, it is at risk of rolling over, especially when climbing because of the roll/pitch of the vehicle. Low tire pressure is usually always the right thing to do when climbing, though that also comes to a point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TYLERTJ

TYLERTJ
    Expand Collapse

What map is that?

4. FORDBEAMER

FORDBEAMER
    Expand Collapse

5. MistyMyles

MistyMyles
    Expand Collapse

insane testing.
    --- Post updated ---
    What I want to know is how to have the damping setting set. Is there a way to tune it for crawler use?

6. Cory5503

Cory5503
    Expand Collapse

The factory tune for the shocks (dampening) is plenty fine for a crawler. The lower you go with the dampening, the bouncier the springs get. If anything, go higher with the dampening if the suspension is not smooth enough.

7. MistyMyles

MistyMyles
    Expand Collapse

What I want to know is how to have the damping setting
    Thanks for that, do you mean adjust all the different damping settings (as one) up and down or is there certain ones to adjust and ones to leave alone eg. bump damping, fast bump damping, damping knee, rebound damping, fast rebound damping.... Thanks

8. Cory5503

Cory5503
    Expand Collapse

I would bring them all up. The worst it will do is make the ride really cushy.

9. MistyMyles

MistyMyles
    Expand Collapse

Right, thanks for the help much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

First you need to know how much weight there is on each corner, after that you need to select suspension frequency, lower for off-road, higher for road.

After that you can calculate critical damping and from that you can then calculate starting point for damper settings. However I'm afraid you don't want to dive into math side of this, it can get bit complex.

Easy setup then:
    Rebound to bump damping ratio, 3:1 extra comfort, maybe works for off road too, 2:1 to 1.5:1 for sports car / race car.

1600kg vehicle that has 57/43 weight distribution and 0.99Hz front and 1.29Hz rear spring frequency I get 16111 n/m spring rate front and 23642 n/m rear, these are then 3:1 damper values for that specific weight:
    F Slow bump 1034
    F Slow rebound 3103
    F Fast bump 517
    F Fast rebound 1551

R Fast rebound 1086
    R Fast bump 543
    R Slow rebound 3258
    R Slow bump 1629

Of course unsprung mass affects that too, but that is how Koni told me to calculate shocks for a car, I'm sure off road suspension has some more bits to consider for best tuning, however most probably want to go by trial and error route, because of the math involved.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. MistyMyles

MistyMyles
    Expand Collapse

Well thank you anyway for info!

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

If you can give me weight distribution, weight, unsprung weight and desired stiffness of springs, I can spit out number for dampers, that is quite easy to do with my spreadsheet, writing all needed to know about math, that might take hours.

atv_123 had also nice spreadsheet for calculating stuff, I'm just not sure where to find that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice