1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Taking steps: please remind me why AMD and this game don't mix well

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Dec 28, 2018.

1. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

SITREP: After much kerfluffle over the SSD (during which it was upgraded to a 500GB model), ordering is finally actually going through. Because of the multiple vendors we used, I ended up with download codes for Tom Clancy's The Division 2 and (ewww) Fortnite.

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Bob's CPU is overclocked, afaik it does same or slightly better as your new CPU to a point (probably just 1 or 2 vehicles), but you can always overclock your new one to beat Bob's old chip :D

I put data I had and added to your data, it produced some interesting graphs, I find it bit odd that 2700X drops at 7 vehicles, but also 8086K seem to drop at 5 vehicles, maybe it is turbo clocks falling?
    upload_2019-1-13_12-47-40.png

Also you can see how 8 cores is better than 6, but also how little difference there is between 4th and 6th gen CPUs, of course K model of 6700 would be slightly faster, around same as Ryzen up to 4 vehicles I guess.

So now we need to see how it overclocks :D :D :D

Graphics is then what requires that 1 vehicle perfromance, but I'm quite interested to see how well mentioned future optimizations change that, then even those Ryzens without X are able to handle video recording better.

Difference of 50 (1 vehicle result) is not really hugely noticeable in practice I believe, but difference of 100 is quite clear, that is my experience and this is in regards of CPU graphics.

Difference of 150 (1 vehicle result) was something like 15-20fps in situation where CPU did limit the graphics, but that was in 0.14 and before.

9900K would be interesting to play with and also 3rd gen Ryzen, oh why toys has to be so expensive :p

UPDATE: Took some numbers from Bananabench thread, there is now Overclocked Ryzen 2700X and some earlier gen Ryzen results:
    upload_2019-1-13_13-35-33.png

Blue line in graph, 6700 does run game perfectly fine at solid 60fps with single vehicle and high graphics, even dynamic reflections at minimum, ETK K-series is bit tough at Italy tough, so there I keep SSAO off, with video recording it might drop bit below 60fps, especially with K-series when using high graphics.

That FPS drop depends on 1 vehicle result pretty much.

With 5-7 cars Ryzen 2700X is really strong and it should not get fps drops with single car either, slower Ryzens are more likely to get fps drops in heavies possible situation, 95% of time though they too should run game perfectly.

I'm trying to find stock 8700K 8600K as well as OC and 2600 as well as 2600X to add there and maybe I put to bananana bench thread, idk. Might be useful data for someone.

I'm putting future updates of my CPU data collection to here https://www.beamng.com/threads/ultimate-amd-vs-intel-cpu-battle.60389/
    Named thread like that just because people often get so sensitive, so it is good to rub a little, people it is not so serious xD

#102 fufsgfen, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

So, you have got into hook of Fortnite already or is delivery still in progress? :)

I got results from stock and overclocked Ryzen 5 2600X, which are at bottom of the post here, which might be interesting to you https://www.beamng.com/threads/ultimate-amd-vs-intel-cpu-battle-has-graphs-and-awards.60389/

4. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't be caught anywhere near Failnite, and delivery is still in progress. Waiting on Mobo, CPU, PSU and the it will be ready to go together.

If I want a freemium game, there's always World of Blatantly Overpowered Pay to Win Tanks.

5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

"Failnite" - I call that one Couch Fort Nite. If the kids love it so much that they're not making parents crazy, well more power to them, at-least they're not experimenting with controlled substances in an alley downtown. There's always something way, way way worse.
    "World of Blatantly Overpowered Pay to Win Tanks" - Bwahahahahahahahaha *cracks up and almost snorts tea up his big nose* As if that's not an issue with the industry as a whole right there.
    I just usually say to them I had enough with GI-JOE toys as a kid in the 80s.
    Good one! You made my morning. Sorry to derail the thread a bit more - but you totally cracked me up as I sit here in utter agony with back/joint pain something fierce and bad weather on the way.
    We don't need any of that. Buy some editors for modeling collada models or use free ones, and keep your BeamNG Pessima engine warmed up, and ready to rock on some new custom maps.
    If you're going to pay something, be constructive, make something, it's much more rewarding. Playing someone else's game just does not compare what-so-ever.
    So yeah entirely, thanks for the laugh. Glad I am not missing anything in the mainstream gaming thing. I might just take a go at Wasteland 3 when it hits, though.
    --Hope I didn't commit atrocity by derailing a bit.

6. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Well, the motherboard is finally arriving tomorrow. The very same day I start juggling two jobs, with split days off from one of them.

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Tends always go like that, but hopefully you get your upgrade running bit faster than I did with mine, took 5 months or so, felt like 7 though :p

8. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Turns out thanks to the crummy shipping it's just been sitting in a truck in Anchorage for the past couple days and could be coming today.

Having my doubts about the second job anyway. What I needed for a second job was the typical customer service job where you're lucky to get 25 hours a week any time of the year that isn't Christmas, not a sales job that dominates my life with unpredictable, split days off while paying me a little bit of money when someone actually does enter my department and buy something. My desperation got the better of me during a time when my first job didn't really have much going on, but if that push does come to shove then I have to go with the job that at least pays me straight for the time I spend working.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Shipping can be touch&go in Winter, roads often get closed in the Rocky-Mountain region. Look at the weather report as of late.
    Agree 100% about job feelings though - some jobs pay so little that you end up barely breaking even! Taking someone else's job is sometimes more like buying a used car. What's the problem going to be, and if it pays well, what's so bad about it that the position is not yet filled? Conversely, you can see why the position was open for hire! There's always 'temp agency' labor if you have the muscles / endurance for that type of work. That's come in handy a few times in my life. Some even cut your check that day. Really useful if your computer's favorite movie is 'all computers go to heaven'.

10. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I'd consider it. I'm not strong and am pretty out of shape, but let's just say the training I went through today did not make me want to keep this job any more than I already did. Sales is 100% bletcherous manipulative bull manure.

Meanwhile, the mobo was supposedly "out for delivery" today, but what that really meant was that the freaking package slip was out for delivery.

11. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

IT'S HERE.

upload_2019-1-31_11-56-41.jpeg
    --- Post updated ---
    Mobo has 4-pin connectors for both sys_fan1 and cpu_fan1, but the case fan has a 3-pin connector; what do?

#111 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  12. NaNe

NaNe
    Expand Collapse

you just slot it in,my mobo has 4pin cpu and sys fan connector and im using a 3 pin cpu fan,it runs with no problem.Dont worry about it

13. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Computer is up and running; will be moving it over to the desk and taking this current one elsewhere. Next step, download Beam. Does Logitech still have G27 drivers on their site?
    --- Post updated ---
    Posting from new machine. Also in the middle of a password recovery chain to get back into my YouTube.
    --- Post updated ---
    BeamNG is (slowly, remember I live in Alaska) downloading; G27 does fit desk but with a ridiculously high jank quotient. Wheel fits desk but blocks keyboard tray (it's sitting upturned in my lap just to let me write this), shifter requires desk drawer to be open to a specific degree, pedals are partially hidden under a chair pad to keep them from sliding around on said (cheap, slippery) chair pad. But it's habbening! Operation Jank Storm is headed for a successful conclusion!

How about a little celebratory music while I wait for the download?

#113 NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

So have you tested recording video?

15. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Not yet. I'm just now getting a day or two that aren't completely spoken for before they even start.
    --- Post updated ---
    The predator...

upload_2019-2-4_17-57-22.jpeg

(damage is mostly from my crummy driving)

The prey...

upload_2019-2-4_17-57-47.jpeg

(He seemed to give up at the end; when I switched to him to take the picture he was out of gas, ergo I think I put some holes in his tank. Very difficult to tell when you're scoring hits with that mod.)

16. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

@fufsgfen Since you asked about vcore earlier, it seems to hold around the low 1.4s.

The heat may be due to only having one, stock, 3-pin case fan; the way it seems to work is that it spikes over 75C when I first start doing something strenuous, then comes back down (fan kicking on?) and stays below unless I crank up the strenuousness some more.

17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Case fan matters only if temp inside your case is increasing, that would be after some time of heavy use, if it's instant, then it's just high vcore.

Also I did read you should not use Ryzen balanced power plan, but default windows balanced.

What could also be happening is that first CPU boosts to higher clocks and then drops them down.

It is good idea to monitor VRM temps too as those seem to be issue with Ryzen motherboards too, if VRM temp gets high then CPU will throttle down to lower clocks and if VRM temps are kept high, then it goes bad quickly and you need new motherboard. However usually those issues happen only when you push CPU to absolute max.

Anyway 0.1V change in vcore does a lot for temps, also to wattage and then to power limits, which cut CPU speed after a while and your CPU performance drops off, same with VRM etc. Best performance is gained when CPU does not need to throttle down much, you need HWinfo64 running so you can see if performance limits become active.

These are quite educative videos:

For example my 8086K was dropping to 4Ghz constantly under load with default settings, it took quite bit of tuning to keep voltages a lot lower than what VID made vcore to be, in order to keep CPU throttling down and VRM temps going too high etc.

18. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Today I just realized that in BeamNG "force high performance power plan" is checked by default and I hadn't noticed; do you think that could have anything to do with excessive temps? I'll try testing with it unchecked today to see how it works out.

19. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It depends I guess, I remember reading how someone had more than 10C difference between different power plans.

For my CPU that has hardly any effect, usually when playing BeamNG temps are under 40C, but I guess Ryzen runs bit hotter.

20. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I have actually tried it, and it may slow things down a little, not sure, definitely has no effect on temps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice