1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Terrain paints are not converting - Black texures

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Artistterrymartin, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

BEST UPDATE YET !
    LOL

#1 Artistterrymartin, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  2. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

I upgraded one map based on Small Island and it worked nicely. Just replaced the terrains folder with the new stuff and ran the upgrader.
    I had to input the values to TerrainMaterialTextureSet fields. Then I clicked through every paint and saved the changes to file each time. Just to be sure, that was maybe unnecessary.

Did you have every terrain material pbr-ready before the upgrade process? You can't have a mix of v 1.0 and 1.5 terrain materials.

3. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

retract

#3 Artistterrymartin, Dec 5, 2021
  4. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

I tried another one, JRI dated 30.12.2020. Replaced terrains folder and did the renaming, leaving JRITextureSet in the json. Clicked upgrade, input TextureSet values, Applied Changes, chose one paint and clicked Save Changes to File. Black terrains went away, saved the map. Json in /levels was updated with a new TextureSet, and I removed the old JRI set from there. Restarted the level, all good.
    Got some palm tree material console errors that went away after updating the trees_palm folder.
    Code:
    "JRITerrainTextureSet": {
        "name": "JRITerrainTextureSet",
        "class": "TerrainMaterialTextureSet",
        "persistentId": "ac348aaa-081f-4d49-92db-d79fdfad5f79",
        "baseTexSize": [
        ],
        "detailTexSize": [
        ],
        "macroTexSize": [
        ]
      },

"clarkson_islandTerrainMaterialTextureSet": {
        "name": "clarkson_islandTerrainMaterialTextureSet",
        "class": "TerrainMaterialTextureSet",
        "persistentId": "5a9479ab-e28b-40f0-b5a5-05b1b14df122",
        "baseTexSize": [
        ],
        "detailTexSize": [
        ],
        "macroTexSize": [
        ]
      },

screenshot_2021-12-05_15-00-39.jpg screenshot_2021-12-05_15-01-02.jpg screenshot_2021-12-05_15-01-43.jpg screenshot_2021-12-05_15-02-16.jpg screenshot_2021-12-05_15-02-41.jpg screenshot_2021-12-05_15-03-09.jpg screenshot_2021-12-05_15-04-37.jpg screenshot_2021-12-05_15-05-48.jpg screenshot_2021-12-05_15-06-57.jpg

5. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

retract

#5 Artistterrymartin, Dec 5, 2021
  6. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

You skipped the Edit TerrainMaterialTextureSet Properties part in the editor and left them at the default 64, 64.

Try
    Base Texture Size 2048, 2048
    Macro Texture Size 1024, 1024
    Detail Texture Size 1024, 1024

Maybe that's the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

View attachment 859982
    View attachment 859983 View attachment 859985 View attachment 859986
    View attachment 859987
    I did recall seeing something about values not being something... Wander if that matters with the terrain size. I also used the small island height map in another try thinking okay, maybe it don't like this terrain size. When I first got the update their maps loaded with black textures too. So something is screwed somewhere apparently. I appreciate your effort to show me the light lol... I may try it again. I rather wait a week and see if they respond to the issue in known issues. I will say if there is nothing wrong, they implemented this in a way that is not creator friendly.
    --- Post updated ---
    I do love the new menu though. Makes reloading to check changes on mods so much faster.

8. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

9. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I will look at it and see whats what, maybe reinstall and see if that is a problem. I got a few more things to try.
    --- Post updated ---
    Got to be something I am doing wrong... His track works
    upload_2021-12-5_16-28-46.png
    ltntai, You a genius! It was what you said, mess with those sizes, in that panel.

#9 Artistterrymartin, Dec 5, 2021
  10. runnertyler

runnertyler
    Expand Collapse

Hey man I was having the same problem and I managed the fixed after 1 day of try and error.

What you can do is get the all the 5 correct PBR texture. don't just get any texture just to see if works. The bulk change texture option is very useful

Here is the base u need for some of the PBR terrain texture. Use this in the bulk texture option.

DIRT LOOSE
    /levels/small_island/art/terrains/t_terrain_base_b.png
    /levels/small_island/art/terrains/t_macro_clumpy_b.png
    /levels/small_island/art/terrains/t_dirt_sandy_b.png
    DIRT DUSTY
    /levels/small_island/art/terrains/t_macro_holes_b.png
    /levels/small_island/art/terrains/t_gravel_b.png
    SAND
    /levels/small_island/art/terrains/t_macro_sand_b.png
    /levels/small_island/art/terrains/t_beachsand_b.png
    DIRT ROCKY LARGE
    /levels/small_island/art/terrains/t_macro_rocky_b.png
    /levels/small_island/art/terrains/t_dirt_rocks_large_b.png
    ASPHALT
    /levels/Utah/art/terrains/t_terrain_base_b.png
    /levels/Utah/art/terrains/t_macro_holes_b.png
    /levels/utah/art/terrains/t_asphalt_b.png

The "internalName" on should be the same name as your terrain in the Terrain Material Library.

If u just change the /small_island it wont work u also have to change the internalName to your Terrain Materials name.

I selected Sand in the picture but its the same for any other materail

Here is a part of the map that I didn't figure it out what texture to use yet

11. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

nevermind, still messed up
    --- Post updated ---
    Doing the bulk change seems to be working. Its slow process but so far it works.
    upload_2021-12-5_18-18-49.png

12. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

Didn't even notice the bulk option. What does it do? Change all same groundmodels on the map to look the same? I hope they'll write a tutorial for this.
    Edit. It's a path renaming tool for modders without Note++

#12 ltntai, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

I am going to make a video on what I did, and point out what I still am not sure of. Maybe someone here will see the error in what I did. But for the most part bulk does something with paths that are beyond the path we used to manually edit. apparently there is some data block it write too. Dont know I could be dead wrong on that. I did try to convert one of my old textures and its black though. Give me a few and I will repeat what I did.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

This is what I came up with, sorry after 6 videos I realized something will go wrong everytime you try to make a short video.
    What I did to get textures converted when cloning a level to make a new map. - YouTube
    I don't quite know what bulk write is doing, just happy its working. Next task will be making my own texture from some of my old ones.

I also found out making new decals, there needs to be the tags now RoadandPath for first one.
    And beamng for 2nd one. Not sure if both are needed, but after making a new decal and including them they now show up in the decal browser in the decal's inspector.
    upload_2021-12-6_14-14-0.png
    --- Post updated ---
    Here is one of the first decals I ever made if anyone wants to use them, I did not know much then as far as baking normals from high poly stuff. So I just had a poor mans normal's map (generic normal map Gimp filter) The one with the _d has no normal map. Don't think that one worked great. Think I was trying to see how alpha clip compared to lensalpha blend. And I had no idea what PBR was then :D Thought it was some kind of sandwich lol.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice