Terrible FPS Issue

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Zackosb, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Zackosb

Zackosb
    Expand Collapse

Before anyone says "look at other threads", I can assure you I spent about 2 hours doing so...

Hi.
    I have a so-called "gaming laptop" which has NVIDIA Geforce 940m and an intel core i7 processor. Now, regardless of specs I still have to run BeamNG on the lowest possible settings in order to get about 20 to 25 fps.Yesterday, I cleared my cache and decided to download the '94 Ibishu Covet mod, and it reduced my fps down to 7. I uninstalled the mod, thinking there was a bug with that mod, it turns out there wasn't. I then uninstalled BeamNG and reinstalled it, and still, nothing happened. Next, I changed all of my NVIDIA settings, which had been reset to default, and again nothing happened. There's a youtube video that shows someone playing with the same graphics card and everything, and he can get similar fps, but much better quality.

LINK TO VIDEO

LINK TO ANOTHER EXAMPLE

So, now I think that when I cleared my cache it messed something up, or i haven't changed my NVIDIA settings and BeamNG options correctly. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks.

2. DeSanta

DeSanta
    Expand Collapse

Hi.

I have been using a GT930M (similar to your GPU) in my laptop until 1 week ago or so. I can assure you that it's not your GPU's problem, it's because of the game. As it looks like to me, even these kinds of graphics cards can't handle the game properly.

BUT, I moved to a desktop computer, with a GTX 1070Ti and the game runs perfectly. So... yeah, it's because of the game. My advice is that you should get an external GPU in order to handle the game. It can be connected to your laptop using some kind of adapter.

3. Zackosb

Zackosb
    Expand Collapse

Great! Thanks so much i'll see what I can do, but it does make me wonder why it was running the game fine up until a couple of days ago, Also, can you recommend any external GPUs?

4. DeSanta

DeSanta
    Expand Collapse

Well, when I say ''external GPU'' I mean a normal graphics card, like the ones that you install in a desktop computer. My recommendation is getting the same GPU as I did, the GTX 1070Ti Turbo. The game runs at ~90 FPS with the maximum graphics configuration, so it's pretty good. The bad thing about the graphics card it's the price. It did cost around 560€ ($690 USD)

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Unless your laptop has thunderbolt 3 you can't add an external GPU. You'll need to spend 500 bucks just in the adapter, let alone the gpu.

Power plans and NVidia Optimus. It's a mix of you having a non gaming GPU and the game not playing nice with optimus
    --- Post updated ---
    Go into Nvidia control panel and ensure the game is set to be hardware accelerated in the gt940m not the Intel chipset and set windows power plan to performance

6. SBR4Fanboi88

SBR4Fanboi88
    Expand Collapse

Ouch. Now I am worried about running this with my GT 1030. It is delivering tomorrow and I have been waiting for a long time. I have gotten mostly good comments saying it will run so I don't know...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice