1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Textures not loading from saved maps

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by theonciest, May 8, 2016.

1. theonciest

theonciest
    Expand Collapse

ISSUE: FIXED -

Thanks to Nadeox we were able to come to the conclusion that BeamNG has rules and those rules cannot be broken. What you must learn is that these rules are no different that the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent...
    *cough* Matrix *cough*

Hey guys, having an issue where I need to replace my textures everytime I load into a map I'm making. Any way to prevent the textures from becoming a "no material" state when I restart the game?

#1 theonciest, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Make sure the materials.cs file of your map is correct (open with notepad)

3. theonciest

theonciest
    Expand Collapse

Why can't I just import them through the import tool in the editor? It should automatically save it in the folder with the project. Like the thousands of other programs/games out there. :/

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

If the game is using NO TEXTURE stuff each time you load the game, it means the materials.cs file is wrong and the game can't find the texture.
    In that case, the best thing to do is doing the edits manually as I said.
    The editor can show things correctly the first time, but at the next reload you may get the same issue.

Remember the game game is EA, so is the editor.

• Like Like x 1
  5. theonciest

theonciest
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that's true man, I wish I knew how to code, this stuff would be so much easier, and maybe I would make a program/plugin that just edited the cs file for you everytime you imported something.

It's just for what I want to do, I have made a lot of textures and it was extremely discouraging when I loaded in to see that everything became orange... :/ like I almost gave up at that point. Like I'm still learning, so a lot of the textures I add are just to test something out, or see how it looks so I can't be changing the cs file every time I add something new. Like I'm adding roads with cracks, different cracks, different kinds of spacing, etc...

Brings me to my next question, is there a way to edit a single point of a road? Like insert a texture on top of it, or replace just the one section? Because when I place a road ontop, it goes all glitchy, and there's no way to adjust the height so that no clipping occurs. I wonder if it would be a good idea to add a height adjustment to the road editor? Hmm...

Anyways thanks for your time man.
    --- Post updated ---
    upload_2016-5-10_16-54-40.png

>.> so how do you reckon I organize this?
    --- Post updated ---
    It's just that the game crashed and I lost 8 hours of work. (left the game running over night) Steam decided that it was going to close and restart for some reason and gave me a split second popup of "closing beamng" so... at this point I'm willing to try anything. What is the most clear and concise tutorial of organizing map files? Where everything is just in one folder, and if I share it to a friend they will be able to open it just as I can open it. This is just a nightmare for me, I'm not a coder never liked coding, I just know how to edit things, but I don't feel like I need edit it every time I add a new texture.
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh, and ctrl+s doesn't really do anything I swear I hit it over and over throughout the night.
    --- Post updated ---

Is this correct?
    --- Post updated ---
    I am sorry, I am just so confused, what is the next step after this?
    --- Post updated ---
    Seriously this is getting pretty lame...

I have evertyhing in one folder now (art\terrain) as well as typed them in the .cs such as they are in the screenshot. then I applied the textures, made the edits to the texture, saved everything... even the materials... closed Beamng... and now I see this when I open it.

--- Post updated ---
    And the files are located in this folder

--- Post updated ---
    I just want to be able to work knowing that everything I do won't be lost if it crashes!!!

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

There is no need to use the report button because 'I took too long to reply'.
    It's not nice.

This is forum, not a livechat. I'm not behind my monitor 24/7 either.
    Please calm down, take a deep breath and give the time to reply..

/r

First, don't touch anything in the BeamNG.Drive directory.
    Move your level to Documents/BeamNG.Drive/levels.

Second, without any file to look at, this is just a guessing game for me.
    Having a copy of your thing would help a lot to see what's going on.. :\

#6 Nadeox1, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. theonciest

theonciest
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, but nothing loads when it's in the documents/beamNG.Drive/levels directory. :(

I will send you a pm

8. theonciest

theonciest
    Expand Collapse

You didn't get to my PM either, waiting like 3 weeks on this issue man... :/
    --- Post updated ---
    Maybe it's better I wait for a fixed program with less bugs?

9. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Maybe he has other stuff to attend to? You are not their #1 priority, there are 130,000 other people on the fourms.

10. theonciest

theonciest
    Expand Collapse

Well why is it just him then?
    --- Post updated ---
    So I had my level in both directories, I moved everything into documents and now it's stuck loading at 99% Datablocks... :/

11. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

PM as Private Message on the forum?
    Our (moderators) inbox are extremely cluttered (over 50pm daily), sometimes it happens we lost track of some of them, sorry about that.

First, do not have the same level copied in two different directory.
    Have only 1 copy of your level, preferably in Documents/BeamNG.Drive/levels.

Second, as wrote above, being able to look at your game logs, or better the actual files you have would be much more helpful.
    Without any file to look at, this is a guessing game, a very long one.

12. theonciest

theonciest
    Expand Collapse

No worries! I sent you a message! With the file included! I deleted the folder in the game directory and got rid of any trace of external files. I'll work solely in My Documents from now on.

Yeah, like what ever the conversations thing is.

#12 theonciest, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  13. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Got the file, thanks!
    Would be much faster for me to directly look into them.

First thing I get when loading the level:

This happens because the .mis is making reference to the wrong path.
    It should be levels/Shibukawa/Shibukawa3.ter (so the game knows to look into your map folder).
    You can open the .mis in notepad to fix this manually

Then this:

This file doesn't exists in the copy I got.

Then, after I fixed the .ter file path, the level load and I can see the 'NO TEXTURE' stuff.
    In the MIS a road having a the '_01_roadRIGHT' material assigned to it, but there is no 'materials.cs' file that has that material define anywhere!
    (material.cs is what stores the material's data. What diffuse, normal, specular texture to use, and all the other options related to the materials).

I'd expect you to have the material defined in the 'materials.cs' file that is in the same folder of your texture.
    In this case, it seems to be the one in 'Documents\BeamNG.drive\levels\Shibukawa\art\decals'.

So, after opening the 'materials.cs' file with notepad, I create the info for '_01_roadRIGHT' material (I made it quickly copying the values for above):

Save, reload the game and this is what I get as soon as I load the level:

Works, it seems.

So, to recap, your issue is that you are not saving your material changes, so each time you load the level, is like you have never assigned a material to it.
    If you use the Material Editor, make sure you don't miss this button!

This is what saves your material changes. Material changes are separated from the CTRL+S shortcut (which saves the level changes).

This applies to all your materials, not only the decal roads.
    Hope this helps you through the whole thing.

Incase you send me a message or something and I don't reply, don't panick.
    I won't be available tomorrow (Sunday), so I will have a look on Monday.

14. theonciest

theonciest
    Expand Collapse

Okay! Thank you SO much. I know where those files are, I had no idea they were relevent becuase for some reason they weren't inside the folder. I can move them in there. There's "shibukawa.ter, shibukawa2.ter, shibukawa3.ter, theTerrain.ter" Also I know exactly what button you're talking about, I had no idea they were saving anything because sometimes I find the files in the browser, and sometimes I couldn't. I will do everything again and make sure to hit save on everything individually. Also the materials.cs is right there :O

http://i.imgur.com/1Xcdk1B.png?1
    --- Post updated ---
    All of the files are in there in the materials.cs
    --- Post updated ---
    As for untitled.dae, it should be either "detaildistant.png" or "shibukawahorizon.dae" the png file is the one I much prefer. It was working at some point, but as soon as I started moving everything from the beamng directory to the my documents directory that's when I started having more issues. Having it in the beamng directory everything was semi-working. Now it's still not even loading after the changes I made from your post and I hate to say it but I am now more confused than ever. :<

Attached Files:

15. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I don't get this.
    untitled.dae is a DAE file.
    What it means it should be either "detaildistant.png" or "shibukawahorizon.dae"? PNG is only an image file, while DAE is a 3D Model file, two completely separate things.

Also, the materials.cs you sent is the same I had.
    But it's completely missing the informations for the material THAT decalroad is using ( _01_roadRIGHT )
    The other decals roads are also using completely different materials that are not defined anywhere:

While the first is the only using the material I mentioned above.

I said everything regarding the material system, you need to organize your materials better, because from what I see, you have so many textures around that is probably confusing you.
    Start with something simplier, get hang of the materials system and then go with things more complex.

Night time for me, I will be back on Monday.

16. theonciest

theonciest
    Expand Collapse

Wait! I tried fixing the errors you had, but I don't even have errors, it just sits there at "99% datablocks." it doesn't even go into the game, or the editor, or anything. It's a mess because I thought I had the hang of it, I thought I had my own system working for me, until things weren't working... now I have no base to start from, I have no map... can you send me the files that are supposedly working? Maybe I should just start over... I am not even comfortable with the progress I made to begin with...

17. theonciest

theonciest
    Expand Collapse

bump lol
    --- Post updated ---
    That's what I mean, I dont' get it either, when you told me to move it from Beamng steam folder, you broke that part of the file. What ever it was. You sabotaged my work. :/ I know that the DAE is a 3d model file I am the one that created it.
    --- Post updated ---
    I'll just do a fresh reinstall, download the file I gave you, and follow your steps. Clearly something is corrupt in my game files.
    --- Post updated ---
    I don't even get any errors. I reinstalled Beamng, wiped the folders of all my previous work. Moved it into documents, and now when I open the map it just gets stuck on loading screen saying "99% datablocks" and sits there forever. :/

So I don't believe what you're telling me is true, because it isn't working. Your program must be different because yours loads in and gives you an error, mine does not and now is stuck on a loading screen.

18. Bertanius

Bertanius
    Expand Collapse

I don't get it. In your other thread you were apologising for your behaviour but now you're saying a moderator sabotaged your work? I don't even make maps and I find those instructions easy to understand.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the game, since they would both be on the same version. As Nadeox1 said, you should try a new map and do a simple test, that way you can get a better feel for the texture system. It's all about trial and error, because eventually you'll get the hang of it and will then find it super easy and can start troubleshooting everything yourself.

19. theonciest

theonciest
    Expand Collapse

I tried the exact same steps he posted on a fresh install of beamng. I'm not getting the same results he posted. So ultimately I have to start a new project or wait til tomorrow until he replies. So while I'm waiting I might as well start a new project. xD

I'm sorry I get hot headed and I say weird things. *shrugs* I have to apologize a lot lol
    --- Post updated ---
    Actually this is a different issue entirely, none of the maps load?
    --- Post updated ---
    Okay, so that datablock thing is fixed. I had to completely wipe beamng form the computer. All documents, maps, everything. I place my map back in. Now it's nowhere near anything I had. Also remember the issue I had with the heightmap? PLacing it inside the game folder made it work, THAT IS THAT ONLY reason why I was working in the game folder because everything worked. So now that it's in documents, I'm getting the terrain import failed. If I put it in the main directory, it imports. SO. How do I IMPORT without having to move it to the main folder?

http://www.beamng.com/threads/cant-import-heightmap.12338/

Also, the heightmap that's there now is wrong, the way we enabled it through your process, made it all flat. There is no definition in the hills, how do I bump that up higher? That's why I tried importing a heightmap and I got that error.
    --- Post updated ---
    https://www.twitch.tv/bitjagdash/v/69384241
    --- Post updated ---
    Your Method NOT WORKING -

That is the reason why I even had it in the content folder. Like watch this second video where it works.

My Method WORKING -

20. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I'm trying to help you :)
    Saying that doesn't help me helping you any better...

Modding tools are not as polished as the rest, and sometimes they tend to do very strange things (our level-makers knows well, I asked him to have a look here aswell as he surely knows way better than me the actual state of the level tools).

Also, modding is a completely different topic from the actual game, this is something you approach if you want to learn and deal with all the problems you can meet while making something.

Let's take everything point to point.

First issue (From post #1):
    MATERIALS.
    I made an extended explanation in post #15 about that. You haven't said much about that issue afterward, so hopefully you solved that.

Second issue (Post #16/17):
    HEIGHTMAP IMPORT.
    Different issue. I'm able to replicate the problem. It seems a bug, as it didn't use to do that before. I will forward this to the team for fixing.
    It has been a while since I imported a heightmap, so I wasn't aware that importing a heightmap located in Documents didn't work.
    Sorry about that, knowing that before would have avoided confusion.

In this case, to avoid any other issue related with the Documents folder (and as you seem way more happy to use the game directory to make your level, and as it also seems to be some bugs regarding that) I suggest you to place your level in 'Steam/Steamapps/Common/BeamNG.Drive/levels' (make the 'levels' folder if it doesn't exists). The editor should fully work in this case, without too much trouble.

But if you ever want to release your level afterward, you will have to manually adjust all the paths in the *.mis and materials.cs (or at least make sure they still point in the right direction), as mods will necessarily have to go in Documents/BeamNG.Drive/mods (I suggest to download some levels and see how they handle the paths, much easier to look at them than explaining the whole relative paths part..)

Also, for the sake of forum usage, keep your issues related with your map in a single thread. Making 3-4 threads for the same level is unecessary, and just scatters around informations making them much much harder to find.

#20 Nadeox1, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice