Solved Texturing, MultiDAE

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Neo, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

Hello,
    I often tried to texture my model ( http://www.beamng.com/threads/spikes-nodegrabber.21934/ ), but I simply don´t understand how. So I need a little bit help with it ( texturing and recolouring ingame).
    The second thing is, that I don´t know how to make my spikestrip appear in the part selection by e.g. the pickup. I think the way to do that is MultiDAE, but I don´t understand this either.
    Greetings
    and sorry for my bad englisch, I´m a German ;)

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

MultiDAE:

MultiDAE is used to add a 3D model to a vehicle without modifying the original .DAE file.
    Here you can find comprehensive guide:
    http://www.beamng.com/threads/introduction-to-multidae.10210/

You will need to use MultiDAE if you want your spikestrip to appear on the pickup without modifying the original pickup .DAE (The best thing to do if you want to avoid breaking the pickup :) )

3. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

What soft do you use to create your model? Ok don't care

4. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

If your aim is to make a spike strip, It seems a better idea to make it a standalone prop. A prop is just the same as a vehicle but just lacks wheels and engine. You can use fixed nodes to keep the base stationary, and create a mechanism to raise/lower the spikes.

5. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

I try to make a little Trailer for it, so i can use the hook on cars wich have one (like the pickup) . A standalone prop is it now :) but i should dropped with a press of a button
    --- Post updated ---
    I use Blender

6. Dudeman

Dudeman
    Expand Collapse

fixed nodes? never heard of that
    what are the parameters and code?
    --- Post updated ---
    I could use those

7. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

Paste in your "nodes" section: {"fixed":true}, .
    An example you can find here: http://www.beamng.com/threads/spikes-nodegrabber.21934/ (the stationary-spikes; attached under the first post), so you can lookup the source code
    --- Post updated ---
    Ok one question remaining: How can I texture my prop properly ( and have the functions from the Ingame-Colorselector )?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

In your modelling software, first you have to give all mesh objects unique names, and apply materials to the objects. The materials made in the modelling software do not control the look of the mesh in game! They are only used for the name. The mesh name is how the game will know what meshes to bind to nodes. The material name is how the game will know which polygons in the .DAE are assigned to which textures. You only need one material on your objects if you plan to texture everything with one texture.

If you want the mod to be an additional part for the pickup, you must organize the mod as an additonal folder inside of the pickup folder. So your file path for development will be "My Documents\BeamNG.drive\mods\vehicles\pickup\spike_strip" as an example. Your .DAE, .jbeam, materials.cs, and textures go in this folder.

Create a .jbeam part in this folder for your spike_strip, with slotType that matches a part in the pickup. You might use "trailer_small" so that it loads from the tow hitch slot. In this part, you add a flexbody section that binds the meshes to nodes. The mesh names are the same names you gave the objects in your modelling software.

Now, load the part in game... you will get an orange "no texture" mesh. In "My Documents\BeamNG.drive\vehicles\pickup" you will find a materials.cs that has been auto-generated, containing all the material names found in your .DAE file. If the materials.cs doesn't show, maybe you have to restart the game and try again, or you will have to make the materials.cs file manually, which isn't too hard, you just have to know the names of the materials in the .DAE.

Cut and paste this materials.cs into your mod directory, then edit the paths to go to your texture files as needed, and set the other things as needed (look at similar materials in other cars). For layers that you don't have a texture for, you can use "vehicles/common/null.dds" for a texture.

The basic way the color palette works is that there is an extra color mask texture, where each channel of the texture sets the regions that each color picker affects. If you look in the common vehicle folder of the game you can find the textures used for the aftermarket steering wheel (steer_02a) which has color palette working, and you can find the entries in the materials.cs that assign those textures.

I'm not really the expert on texturing, that would be an idea for a more detailed tutorial in the future. What I did find is:
    http://wiki.beamng.com/Introduction_to_Vehicle_Creation (has some info on texturing in Blender and Gimp)
    http://wiki.beamng.com/Vehicle_Materials
    http://wiki.beamng.com/Modeling_and_Texturing_Guide
    Hope this is helpful and encouraging!

9. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

@Goosah Thank you so much, now I can continue *thump up*

#9 Neo, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice