The 'Additional Modification' slot has issues

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by rli98, Dec 11, 2017.

1. rli98

rli98
    Expand Collapse

Is it possible to add multiple 'Additional Modification' slots.

The reason I'm asking for this suggestion is because mods such as the:

D15 Technical
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/d15-technical.2018/

Driver, Passengers and Loads
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/driver-passengers-and-loads.2906/

Javielucho Mad Mod
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/javielucho-mad-mod.1395/

use the 'Additional Modification' slot. Since you can only select one option out of this slot, this makes it impossible to use some mods at the same time. For example, if I use a D15 Technical and add a mounted machine gun, I cannot add a Dummy to the driver's seat as both mods occupy the same slot which you can only select one or the other.

Unless of course there actually is a solution to this problem, my suggestion to fix this issue is to implement an option where players can add multiple 'Additional Modification' slots to the 'Parts' menu.

If my suggestion isn't possible, then a message for mod makers: could you have your mods be selectable from a new slot?

For example, Synsol, the next time you update the 'Driver, Passengers and Loads' mod, is it possible select the mod on a separate slot in the Parts menu? Like in the attached picture?

Attached Files:

• passengerssuggestion.png
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

You could make a quick. Mod which adds multiple subslots to the additional modification slot and then change the slot name in the mod files that you've downloaded.
    Many modders do that just to avoid making a new frame/body for their mod, and even if they'd make a new body, you wouldn't be able to use multiple mods utilizing the same method at the same time.
    The only thing that would work for it would be an essentially a additional modification slot extender.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Multiple slots could be added, but it won't really solve the problem in the long run: once you have reached the slot limit, you'll still have to swap one part for another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

It doesn't have issues, it's working as meant.
    For the reasons wrote above me, also because very likely multiple mods would not work out together (in most of the cases).

5. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

This is something I was going to suggest. There are several mods I'd love to use together, but can't because of this.

6. rli98

rli98
    Expand Collapse

I know that it is working as intended, it's just that alot of mods (not just the ones I listed above) use that slot and can only have one option selected. Although I'm no programmer, is it really true that mods like the Passengers and Technical can be incompatible with each other? I'm sorry if this sounds insulting but I find that very hard to believe as I'm able to use either mods in conjunction with plenty of other mods that don't require the 'Additional Modification' slot. Of course, if you can give me an explanation, then that would be greatly appreciated.

7. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

They could be used with each other, but there is a problem, that each vehicle has limited amount of slots. And there is no way of making it add another slot with every mod, as it would owerwrite the previous mod.
    The best way to go about it right now is make your own slots and see which mod is compatible and shich is not.

8. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Oh, missed the 'Suggestion' part.
    But yeah, I wouldn't expect much change, it's pretty much down to each mod.

What said above is a solution:
    You can make a mod a 'sub-part' of another mod (it's not that hard of a change to do, even if you have not much modding experience) and see if they work out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice