1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

The best sound card for music recording

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pillojon106, Jun 25, 2014.

1. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

I am building a mini itx computer strictly for music recording. I need it to be PCI e. I've got no budget. If you are wondering what microphones I'm using, I don't have the info about them. But I paid $150 a piece for 2-3 of them. I'm using wavepad sound editor as my software. I need help with choosing the best sound card please. Thank you.

2. Doug7070

Doug7070
    Expand Collapse

Depending on the inputs that you need, I'd advise going with an external solution.
    In general an external box will provide better results because it's free of the small amounts of electromagnetic interference that exist inside a PC case.
    I personally use a FiiO E10 for audio playback, but as an output only DAC/amp it wouldn't be appropriate for your needs as a recorder. You would have to define what you mean by "no budget" to give people a better idea of what you're looking for, because I'm sure there are input systems costing thousands of dollars that would be amazing for your needs, but are likely not something you want to spring for.
    It would also help to know exactly what kind of inputs you're going to be running through the hardware.

3. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

I budget is $200. I need a PCI e card because the person who is gonna use this computer Gonna use line in from the microphone to the sound card and use wavepad sound editor for the software. $200 PCI e card is best for him.

4. Matthew

Matthew
    Expand Collapse

That doesn't work. Cheap (sub 200$) soundcards will not offer microphone inputs with built in preamps. Depending on the mic, you might require a preamp, and if they plan on using more than one at a time, they will NEED an external interface.

With no knowledge of the microphones or what you're using them for, I would recommend the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I use it personally in my home for recording vocal/guitar, and it works very well, far better than any PCIe soundcards in a similar pricerange.

Please give me information on the microphones, and maybe a bit of insight into how they will be used, cause there might be better options for your specific case.

5. Seb121314

Seb121314
    Expand Collapse

yep the scarlet is the best , the pcie is to restrictive to your use , you can use the scarlett with any pc.

6. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

I've got some info from the person who records the music. What he did was feed the sound from the mics to the mixing board. Then from the mixing board to the computer. So I hope that gives you info on how the set up usually goes. I'm trying to get the info on the mics.

7. Matthew

Matthew
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, without a soundcard he can plug his mixer's line out directly into the line in on the pc. He'll need a 1/4 to 1/8 rca adapter, but it'll likely work. There may be something to be said about the quality of that solution, but it could work. maybe.

If that's not the case, however i would STILL suggest the 2i2. His mixer likely has stereo out (2 1/4" outs for r/l channels), so he'd just have to hook both of those into the 2 ins on the 2i2, then the 2i2 into the pc via usb. This way he has 2 channels show up in his software, there is no EMI from computer components (which you would likely get from an internal soundcard) and he has the 2i2 which he can use without the mixer if he wanted.

Now for my 2 cents:

Mixers are outdated. Unless he has a multi-thousand dollar setup (which I don't think he does with 3 150$ mics) there is no reason to use a mixer. I assume he has so many mics so he can record multiple people singing along with electric instruments, or a drum set, or all of the above. If he has some money, he should look into getting a usb or firewire Audio Interface. This will make his life far easier. An interface will plug directly into his computer via usb or firewire, letting him get every ounce of quality he can out of his recordings, while giving him more freedom with the sound he captures. Using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or M-audio ProFire 26/26 (these 2 come recommended by others, though I've never personally used one) will net you 8 inputs for any kind of mic, or electric instrument, or amp output. The great thing about audio interfaces like these is that ALL of the inputs will show up as an individual channel on the software he uses that can be edited and tweaked to his hearts content post recording.

Most importantly, though, I'd recommend he goes and does some serious research himself if he's looking into something this expensive. If he's serious about his recordings he should definitely go this route, but I don't want any decisions with that much money to be involved based only on my single opinion to be made. Especially since I don't actually know what or why he's recording.

I am a musician myself, and currently work rigging stages, lights, and sound, so I have some experience with this stuff.

8. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

Ya the mics are MXL 990 microphones and I have got 2 of them not 3. The mixing board he has got is a Behringer UB2222FX-PRO. I know it isn't what you were thinking of but that is all he has got. An audio interface sounds good but he doesn't know how to use one. He is used to using a sound card like creative labs or asus xonar. He needs a tutorial on how to use the audio interface with his mics mixing board and his software. Can you simplify your explanation because I need to explain everything you tell me to him.

Attached Files:

• image.jpg
  9. Matthew

Matthew
    Expand Collapse

Seeing as you have only 2 mics, the obvious choice is the Scarlett 2i2.

First off, I encourage him to to research everything he already owns and read up on lower end audio gear. Knowing more about your hardware can never hurt.

Now here's a bit of info on how you should use the 2i2. It's super easy, way easier than a soundcard.

All you do is plug it into a pc and install the drivers and it's immediately good to go. The 2 inputs will show up as 2 channels in Audacity or whatever other software you use (If he hasn't any software, than use Audacity). All you have to do is plug in a mic or two, adjust the gain so you aren't maxing the mic, and hit record and it works. Super easy. Once it's recorded you can adjust the sound in audacity to your liking.

If you want to use the mixer (for instance if you're using more than 2 inputs at once), and don't mind that you won't have as much freedom to edit the sound afterwards, you can just plug the right and left outputs on the mixer into the right and left inputs on the 2i2. This way you mix on the Behringher, it's passed through the 2i2 as a stereo signal, then into your computer as 2 channels.

Plus since it's an audio interface, you can plug speakers or headphones into it and play your computer sounds through it. Should sound better than your computer's onboard audio, and it has an actual volume knob ;)
    AND, since it's external, you can use it on another computer if you want to. I bring mine with me and use my laptop to record random junk at friends houses.
    One last bonus: You can use your nice mics on skype. boom.

It's super useful and super easy and that's why it's so recommended to get one of these rather than a card. If you still have more questions I'll be glad to help as much as I can :)

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I think you guys are really exaggerating how much EMI will interfere with a PCI sound card.

A large copper ground pour on a PCB (ie, just areas of the copper that havent been removed) is more than enough to significantly reduce the levels of EMI present within a PC. High end soundcards use impedance matched traces in a 4 layer PCB with massively overkill ground pours.

Plus audio signals are very low frequency compared to the signals within the PC and the ADC will be placed as close to the input connectors as possible.

Notice how many professional studios still use PCI hardware, any distortion? Nope. Of course they are also using cards that cost more than $200.

I just really think you are exaggerating. Lets take VGA. Very very strict timing and highly susceptible to noise (ever wondered why those cables are so god damn thick, lots of shielded wiring in there). There are more signal traces required to get from the VGA driver circuitry to the connector than there are for audio, they run at similar frequencies too. Does your monitors image flicker and jump around alot? No. Yet it is a device which should be more susceptible to interference than audio and is within your PC's casing. Your SATA3 interface survives fine. Your RAM survives fine. Your CPU survives fine. I should mention there is less emphasis on these last 3 due to being digital rather than analogue.

In order to get FCC compliance manufacturers have to attempt to eliminate as much EMI produced by their products as is, again, large copper ground pours on your motherboard effectively soak up EMI, impedence matched traces, differential signalling where possible, even where the traces go across the motherboard is all planned in order to make sure they act as an antenna for the frequency running on it as little as possible.

Not that I am recommending against a USB audio device. But it won't be significantly less noise prone than a PCI device so that really shouldnt influence anything. Interference in the cable between your PC's audio input (whether it be PCI or USB) and the mixer or mics will likely be more significant (again, thats why optical audio is popular for the highest of high end kit)

11. Seb121314

Seb121314
    Expand Collapse

yes pci it's better but usb it's very great most of studio use usb interface , and usb sound card can be use in many pc , in conclusion a pci card in ''better'' but most restrictive. i personally use a usb interface for many years and it's work very great you just need to plug usb plug and go!

12. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

Well the guy is recording a piano player playing music in an auditorium. He has got 2 tall tripods that he mounts the mics on. He will bring the computer there to record and edit the music there. So he plugs the mics to the mixing board then from the mixing board to the audio interface. The the audio interface to the computer?

13. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

Well the guy is recording a piano player playing music in an auditorium. He has got 2 tall tripods that he mounts the mics on. He will bring the computer there to record and edit the music there. So he plugs the mics to the mixing board then from the mixing board to the audio interface. The the audio interface to the computer?

- - - Updated - - -

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice