The Mediterranean Special Stages (Rally)

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by Bardaff, Jan 5, 2024.

1. Bardaff

Bardaff
    Expand Collapse

Hello there,
    Just finished the first map of a hopefully long rally series :

I'm looking for feedback if anybody feels like giving it a go (overall feel, track flow, surfaces etc).
    Also, I drive with a modest T500 RS with 320 to 370mm wheels adapted to it, so I'm curious about how it drives on other setups.
    Link is in video description, this first one is free (the following stages may or may not, but one stage being one month of work full time, I'll need support to continue doing that at some point)
    Have a nice day!

#1 Bardaff, Jan 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 32
  2. stegosaurus04

stegosaurus04
    Expand Collapse

gorgeous, it's really well made.
    how did you make such a detailed color base texture?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JoLi

JoLi
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    I already commented on your youtube video, really nice map, will try it out in a sec!

could you maybe link either the download directly or at least your patreon with the (free!) download link?

#3 JoLi, Jan 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Avtal

Avtal
    Expand Collapse

I haven't seen a map mod this good in a while, I would say this is dev quality. You are definitely very underrated!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CL5_G4llard0

CL5_G4llard0
    Expand Collapse

I have seen the video and it is a very high quality map!
    Maybe I found where to plan my next party with my co-driver ......

• Like Like x 1
  6. SomeVietnameseplayer

SomeVietnameseplayer
    Expand Collapse

Wow, it looks like a DR2 stage to me! I have a suggestion: you should use 2D trees for stuff in the background or trees that are further away from the road. Now there are too many 3D trees that performance might dip in some cases. You can find some great 2D background trees on this map, they look great and very light on the system: Lakeside Park Raceway | BeamNG. I used them on my map and they are wonderful

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. KyotoBlissard

KyotoBlissard
    Expand Collapse

It is very well made and looks realistic! I have the impression that every tree and bush is carefully placed one by one throughout the entire map. However, I think the narrow dirt roads are too smooth and feel like sandy river beds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bardaff

Bardaff
    Expand Collapse

Thank you! I used bits of satellite view from google maps re arranged to fit on the terrain to have a color base, and help keeping a somewhat realistic flow while still having the space for the imaginary places that can pop out while building on that base.
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks, hope you'll like it! Yeah, I wanted to link my patreon post but its considered spam by the forum server (and I understand that). I know its a bit awkward to force people to pass through my patreon, but I'm starting a project that will soon requier financial support to continue, so I wish to bring people there. This is the result of one month full time work, so far I have some spare cash from my previous job, but this situation won't last. If I have to find a new job, I won't have time anymore to build the next maps for the project, so I want to see if enough people can be interested in it enough to help me achieve that. I plan something around 10 maps in this kind of landscape to have something like a "complete" rally. If this happen, I'll continue with another rally in another region and so on!
    So far I know I can achieve at least one map per month but I hope to get better with experience, obviously, and release things faster.
    I really aim for quality, both visually to get the "feel" of somewhere, and technically for the surfaces feeling and challenge typical from the rallying form of motorsport, which I believe BeamNG has great potential for.
    --- Post updated ---
    Thank you very much! Well, I'd say it's not exactly devs quality because they have to get the job done quicker maybe, and are more bound to realistic optimisation of assets for performance, have to please everyone while modders can specialize in just one gameplay aspect etc... But I really appreciate the compliment!
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks! I'm happy to hear that, its really rewarding to imagine people racing in there, living and sharing moments with friends with that (its exatly what its meant for tbh) and know the place will exist for guys around the world ^^
    Hope you'll shred it!
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks! And thank you for the suggestion, I'll see if it can help. That said, OG assets uses LODs, which means each object far enough from the player are really low res 2D objects already, so I don't think it might make a big difference. I know what I made is really exaggerated on draw calls, but I tested it on two machines including one which is quite outdated and that was correct, but I want to know if people will experience performance issues. I chose to go heavy on vegetation anyway because it really makes a huge difference for immersion feeling tho. Also, one thing that can cause nasty drops is the colliders of too many bushes at a time on a car, being the player's one, or an AI one, or other players on beamMP, specially with the kind of fern one. Never park a car in the bushes ad go doing things somewhere else, that's a bad idea. I'll keep in mind to try to get better with that aspect!
    --- Post updated ---
    Thank you! Well, you're quite close, I mean apart from things afar, most of the details on and around the path is quite hand made ^^
    I sometimes think too, about the dirt roads smoothness, I fiddled with the idea of distorting these a bit, meanwhile I decided to keep it this way because it wasn't supposed to be an offroad path, more something in-between like on Acropolis rally. Also, I made quite some work with the terrain materials used to make contrast and bumpy feel on these dirt roads, with my t500 setup it translates quite well but it may be not the case with other setups, and I'm really curious about how it drives with other configurations. I quess with keyboard or joypad the visual clues can be insufficient, there is probably something in-between to find, could be the subject on a future update. What are you using to dive?

• Like Like x 6
  9. JoLi

JoLi
    Expand Collapse

Tried it out, it's friggin awesome!
    I love it!
    A lot of "nothing" in many parts of the map, but that's actually not too far from reality, so I guess this isn't too bad
    Surfaces feel awesome
    Some corners are a bit tricky, but guess that's more of a skill issue than a map issue...
    I found myself often not knowing how sharp or how long the next corner will be, would be awesome if there would be something to let the driver know (Co-Driver isn't really a viable option, but maybe signs?)

I'm using a G29 with a Joystick as a Handbrake, and I'd say it feels pretty good!
    The car I most prefer for this track is probably the Cherrier FCV, the thing I struggle most with is braking before the corner and actually getting the corner without flying out of it

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bardaff

Bardaff
    Expand Collapse

Thank you! And glad you like it! Yes, there's many blank areas, but its made from google satelite captures patched together, which helps keeping track of realistic distributions, and its already more dense than reality just to fit the map size. I dont want to compromise too much the kind of realistic feel, so its made this way.

For your first runs, its normal to jump off some corners, but the course is short enough to be easily memorized I guess, and that indeed is needed as many corners are better taken with much anticipation. Plus the cherrier fcv is maybe one of the fastest rallye machines out there, you may learn easier with starting from the autobello rally (which is way more awesome than what I thought, this thing is an absolute toy!), then the etk or pessima 1st gen (my actual go to machines these days), and then upgrade to the latest rally cars maybe? But thats just suggestions. I really love the civetta bolide gravel, reminding the 037 or what the 288 gto would have been in group4 but on this course im only good for sliding show whith it, Im barely as fast as with the autobello :')

About pace notes, I know there is a mod out there, so this may be the best option. However, I have to say I'm absolutely dumb at this, so I wouldn't even write correct things (tbh, even when Im playing games like dirt rally or similar, I never use co drivers calls because I never got used to this, I know its not supposed to be like that but I just suck at it, and still prefer to drive a stage until I know it like I would know a road somewhere. I know its not good, but thats just how it is for me). That said, I heard there are people who do that, I'll try to reach out to see if they're interested and if so I'll post a link to what they'll do!

Thanks for mentionning your setup, and glad to know it translates well, as I suppose this may be a widely used one! Id say the handbrake command is indeed a needed one, many times you have to use it way before entering a hairpin, from what I experienced...

• Like Like x 1
  11. JoLi

JoLi
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your suggestions!
    I actually tried a few cars out on the track, not only the FCV, but e.g. the LeGran, Pessima 1st gen as you suggested, and the 200bx with my (unreleased) AWD Mod, the Covet with my (released) AWD Mod, but the problem I had the most was getting the grip when braking into a corner, but I guess I just have to drive more and memorize the track better...

As for using satellite pictures for the dimensions, that's a very interesting idea, may I ask which locations you have let yourself get improvised by?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bardaff

Bardaff
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, indeed you'll find timing and brake zones soon I guess, like on a track. Also, I found the brakes command very hard to dose in beam, I usually have to tune all way down the brake force multiplier and brake curve with my setup if I dont want to get the wheels suddenly blocked each time I toych the pedal.
    About the location, I dont remember exactly where it was, somewhere in middle greece if im correct. The inspiration is quite more wide, could be south of France, Corsica, east Spain, maybe some places in Italy...
    Btw, nice idea that covet awd mod, I'll give it a try, thank you! ^^

13. Bardaff

Bardaff
    Expand Collapse

Hey, just a little post to say that I updated the map with some minor corrections :
    - reworked a bit terrain shape on the dirt roads, should be less smooth (this is really subtle, it mostly helps reduce the artificial feel it could show in some places)
    - fixed an issue with some pine trees not colliding
    - adjusted some IA parking spawns
    - better cleanup before packing, archive is about 200MB lighter
    You can download it again from the same place :)

Also, I started working on the stage 02 :
    wip-stage02.jpg

Have a nice day/evening y'all!

#13 Bardaff, Jan 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  14. fat_boi

fat_boi
    Expand Collapse

will stage 2 be on the same map or will it be a whole different map file

15. Bardaff

Bardaff
    Expand Collapse

It will be a different map file. I plan to do all stages on individual map each, for performance issues that a big map may induce.
    However, I still think about patching all the maps into a big one when these are finished, if thats possible, but let's see first if I can produce all the 10 stages I planned.

• Like Like x 4
  16. stegosaurus04

stegosaurus04
    Expand Collapse

how did you fix the collision with pine trees? I'm having the same issue

17. Bardaff

Bardaff
    Expand Collapse

Well, tbh I simply replaced the incriminated asset (I think its that maritime pine 02 or something like that) by the scotts pine asset you can found on the italy map. These seems to be the same visually, but the collider might be missing from the former one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stegosaurus04

stegosaurus04
    Expand Collapse

thank you, it worked. I have a very last question (sorry) how do you get real world heightmaps? I'm going nuts every method I try is not precise/detailed enough

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bardaff

Bardaff
    Expand Collapse

No problem dude! So far, i don't get real world heightmaps. The area I worked on being just 1x1km, I had to patch bits of satellite view to have enough road length fitting in, so the heightmap is hand made there. That said, one thing that could help you, if you're at ease with some 3D software (which I'm not atm tho), would be to get some LIDAR or else data converted to an object file, then load this shape into the beam editor. Then, placing your terrain above and using the "align to mesh-down" tool would make the terrain shape stick the shape of the mesh object below, tho it would perhaps need some further smoothing since it makes pretty harsh angles sometimes. I use this technique with mesh roads to make the base shape of all the paths, this helps getting smooth surfaces and consistent elevetion changes.
    EDIT : just had a glimpse at your works, you probably already have tried this out, sorry ^^'

#19 Bardaff, Jan 13, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Lorryquai

Lorryquai
    Expand Collapse

Wow, loving this map. Tarmac-section is short but amazing. Great work. Thanks for sharing this.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice