The Mongol Rally

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Fundador, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone,

Long time since I've posted but seeing as this is one of the most knowledgeable car communities I know decided to consult you lot before anyone else.

I'm doing the Mongolian Rally, dont know what that is watch this:

And I need to choose a lot of things. One of these things is a car (under 1 litre engine capacity or max 1.2) and need a suggestion that's tough as nails and dirt cheap (preferably around £500 to a £1000. My current list is:

Perodua Kalisa
    Suzuki Jimny/SE

Really need some more out of the box suggestions. Preferably something with a bit of character aswell.

Cheers,

Robbie

#1 Fundador, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. Lentomakkara

Lentomakkara
    Expand Collapse

That's amazing. Sounds like something the Top Gear should do.

3. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

haha, ye. Its amazingly hard trying to choose something to do it in though. I thought about possibly getting a ambulance purely because it would be a massive throwback to that 80's film the cannonball run when they drove across america in one.

4. JDSJOEL

JDSJOEL
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a blast!

5. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

This looks cool. Get a car that you will love to end up thrashing on, like a Corsa or a smaller car. A small car here is a Focus. So, that in mind, get something that will last and have fun in. Word of advice, don't get a French car. Or do. Maybe a Megane would be good at this. Something that can cruise comfortably is a good choice. I would get a Suzuki Swift. Small and sporty and comfortable if you care.

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The corsa will break down a mile in, pile of crap, its 1.0 engine is also terrible even for a 1.0

7. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Forgot about that.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I'd love to abuse one just because I hate the fuckers, but completing the rally is more important and it just won't.

9. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

As a not so proud owner a 1 litre corsa i can confirm they are shit. I was thinking about getting a mg midget. A guy a few years back did it a Ferrari 599 though. It got totally destroyed apparently. God knows what he was thinking.

10. vladmir poopin

vladmir poopin
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

one of them little hairdressers suzuki 4x4s

11. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

found a rusted 20p coin in mine yesterday. 1997. So shit it causes a 1997 coin to rust. Or it seems to be rust, its rust coloured and the usual soaking it in vinegar hasnt cleaned it up. Was under the rear bench seat, if you just grab the front of the cushion and pull up, it does hinge up and out. You can find all sorts of shit in 2nd hand cars.

12. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Yep. My dad's car still has a french fry stuck in the cupholder in the back.

OP, I think an MG would be pretty cool to do this in.

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Found a sock and a t shirt in mums car

14. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Ye i was looking at an MG midget, they're super cheap to insure aswell because most insurance companies run in fright when you say you've had a license for 6 months and you want to drive 10,000 miles to Mongolia with 3 mates in what essentially a glorified race.

I thought a hearse might be a laugh. They cant be much second hand haha

15. GingerPunk603

GingerPunk603
    Expand Collapse

I was going to tell you to get a Subaru WRX, but apparently you can't have one... Nevertheless, I wish you luck on your journey! Just make sure you and your teammates are nothing like Clarkson, Hammond, and May, otherwise you'll never get anywhere.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

would be more fun though

17. rup8601

rup8601
    Expand Collapse

I would say to avoid the Jimny and other small 4x4's -every single one I encountered on the rally had the suspension falling to bits or other issues. Second generation Suzuki Swifts have a very good track record for completing the rally as do the earlier Nissan Micra's.

The main thing to bear in mind is that any modern car is capable of completing the rally in totally standard trim so long as it is driven carefully. Many cars fail due to excessive modifications as they often add extra weight and things like larger wheels put a lot more stress on the suspension. The car I took had no modifications whatsoever, not even a sump guard and was 100% reliable.

If you are going for something slightly older make sure it is not too rusty. There was a Hillman Imp which did the rally a while back which had to be abandoned after snapping in half.

18. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

Subaru Justy (old or new)
    The subaru we had lived forever running up and down our broken countryside lanes (and occasionally offroad) up until the fuel pump stopped working and we decided to just get rid of it (It was truly beaten up, still running, but beaten). We got ours cheap (£200) though it was the 5-door 1.3l. Anyway, looks amazingly fun, something i would love to do some time in the future. Good luck for when it come around!

Attached Files:

• Justy-1b.jpg
    • SUBARU-Justy-1-3-4WD--1995-1996-.jpg
  19. Car crusher

Car crusher
    Expand Collapse

Its nice to see a respectable member posting again. But anyways, looks like fun. Good luck.

20. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

You should definitely get an ambulance. That would be so cool.
    Something like Albert from the Dudesons
    albert_ambulanssi.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice