1. Stuck or having problems creating your mod?

WIP Beta released The Realistic Derby Project - 1.3.0 Roundback Wagon Update 1.3.1

A realistic demolition derby mod built by a real life derby driver.

1. NoDakSmack

NoDakSmack
    Expand Collapse

Link to Resource - https://www.beamng.com/resources/the-realistic-derby-project-demolition-derby-mod.7615/

The Realistic Derby Project is a demolition derby mod made by a real life derby driver. The goal of this mod is to achieve a realistic derby experience with parts inspired by the parts we use on actual cars. With this mod you can build to your desired set of rules, from stock, to limited weld, to full weld, with many different part variations and options available so you can build your car how you prefer.

Currently the mod is a work in progress! Every fullsize car (list below, with their real-life inspirations) is ready to run to stock and limited weld rules, however some cars have more work done on them than others. I will be pushing out updates regularly with new parts and strength tweaks, so keep your eyes out and check back often!

This mod is being built in collaboration with Demolition Derby - The Fairgrounds by Bidwars, which offers a scenario in which you can derby against CPU driven cars! At this time, these are not yet built into one another natively, but you can still play using my mod in his scenario if you simply save my vehicle configurations overwriting the titles of his presets such as "pro_moonhawk(1)" which will replace that moonhawk slot for the Pro class. Make sure to replace all the slots of this class if you want the CPU to use my cars too.

Check out Demolition Derby - The Fairgrounds by Bidwars here
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/demolition-derby-the-fair-grounds.1784/

The Cars
    Each car has been heavily modified to have a more realistic frame and body, and each offers different strengths and weaknesses. Many of them are built to resemble real cars in the way they bend and how they might be set up. Presets can be found saved for each car under a name such as "RDP Stock Derby Moonhawk (1)"

Bruckell Moonhawk
    - a full framed car similar to a 71-76 GM sedan. This car currently has the most work done to it.
    Gavril Barstow - A subframer similar to a shocker 74-78 Mopar.
    Gavril Grand Marshal - A tilted full frame new iron car built like a Crown Vic. Early in development.
    Burnside Special - A full framed 4 door... probably most similar to a 58-64 ford?

Pickup class - coming soon

The Parts
    Just like a real derby, you can build each car to a specific set of rules that you prefer, whether it be stock with few extra parts, or a mod class with engine protectors and frame plates. Some parts have/will have variations, such as different style headers, halo bars, trunk setups, rear ends, various homemade and loaded bumpers, and many more. Here's a list of parts currently in the game (which may or may not currently be on certain cars). The list of planned parts is much longer, and variations of existing parts will come as well, and many of these are still being worked on or tweaked as I test.
    • Cages - WIP, if you're experiencing lag with the moonhawk, try removing its cage. The current cages are unnecessarily complex and may cause lag, and a much simpler yet effective design is being worked on. Cages will have 3 parts, the main part, halo bars, and gas tank protectors. In the future, the main cage will be built directly into the body.
    • Derby Frames - Currently in stock and limited weld variants for each car. Every frame has been heavily modified to have realistic strength.
    • Derby Bodies - Every car gets multiple body variants, also with modified or rebuilt structures to bend properly.
    • Bumpers - Loaded and homemade bumpers that won't bend are welded directly to the frame. The hardness and geometry of each bumper might affect how the frame bends differently. There are currently 2 front bumpers to pick from, a loaded Moonhawk bumper and a homemade bumper. Many more to come.
    • Engines - Purpose-built derby engines are typical in today's sport. Every car has a mildly built Chevy 350, with more to come. They withstand the stress and heat better than stock engines, while offering more power.
    • Headers - 4-in-1 headers are available in each car. Different styles to come.
    • Welded doors
    • Trunks - Tucked trunks will offer a more predictable roll, while dished trunks will give more strength. Be careful though, if you aren't using parts such as hump plates, rear window bars, or extra body mounts, a harder trunk might put too much stress on the frame humps.
    • Gas Tanks - Relocated to the interior of the car.
    • Creased fenders - Creasing fenders will offer more strength and a few more cool-guy-points
    • Extra Body Mounts - Cars benefit from the frame being tied into the body as much as possible. Extra body mounts will stiffen up your car slightly.
    • Distributor Protectors - A protector on the back of the engine. It might also reinforce the car since it's so close to the firewall.
    • Suspension - Front suspension modifications to offer a stiffer spring and taller bumper height, as well as stronger suspension components.
    • Radiators - Some of the default radiators don't handle the stress of derby engines very well. Aluminum derby radiators will offer better cooling.
    • Axles - Different axles such as Mopar 8 3/4. Reinforced rear ends in the future.
    • Hump Plates - Plates to help the humps from blowing.
    • Hump Chains - Chains from the axle to the top of the frame. Helps hold the rear end in place.
    • Threaded rod through core support - Body mount replacements from the frame to the hood, while also reinforcing the core support.

Future Plans
    Fullsize cars have precedence on this mod, for a couple reasons. First, they are the most traditional derby cars, and secondly compact cars are much more numerous and therefore harder to get completed, but if I am ever happy with fullsize cars and pickups, I will move onto compacts. The truck class is second priority due to also being a common derby vehicle, but only having 2 models makes for a relatively easy task. Future fullsize cars such as the BlueBuck will have immediate priority.

The list of parts I wish to add to the game is long, and one the most important things to me for this mod is the ability to have a diverse set of options even within a single class, so that the same car of a same class might be built differently from another. Updates in the foreseeable future will almost always be addition of parts and balance changes.

We hope to one day work on a derby experience beyond the cars and AI. We would like to add different arenas, and even a campaign where you pay for cars and parts and run them at shows to earn money for more parts, from county fair level competition to nationals.

This mod was developed under a i7 7700k, GTX 1070, 32gb ram. Frame drops may occur but shouldn't be significant in most cases; if you experience significant frame drops from certain parts, let me know along with your specs!

• Like Like x 7
  2. NoDakSmack

NoDakSmack
    Expand Collapse

Hey everyone, I just uploaded an update that will be live once it's approved that should solve an issue where a rogue file was messing with the moonhawk model. If you already downloaded the original file, you might need to manually delete that one. Sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: Next update should also make vehicle presets available.

In other news, I'm working on a bigger update focused on the burnside.

Attached Files:

• 20190219133942_1.jpg
    #2 NoDakSmack, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 2
  4. thunderdog394

thunderdog394
    Expand Collapse

Can we get a Chevy Cavalier look alike Compact?

5. l3andon 2

l3andon 2
    Expand Collapse

Although these are more Banger type cars, These are my full contact racing/ ramp cars. Feel free to use any for skins or ideas! I know PETER BEAMO used my truck paint job in his banger and derby mod. Love seeing real life stuff put into the game!

Attached Files:

• 14089219_1533153860035244_5225230573413179769_n.jpg
    • 13895214_1519375144746449_104966845694823847_n.jpg
    • 19874032_1606604976036842_1052828420_n.jpg
    • 20604301_10155659022108169_2855336354961749117_n.jpg
    • 21055306_1358420514272249_938206875126062628_o.jpg
    • 44030724_353680358707519_6929924835833282560_n.jpg
    • 44043491_2200672273528207_6240729073274847232_n.jpg
  6. thunderdog394

thunderdog394
    Expand Collapse

Can I submit paints?

7. NoDakSmack

NoDakSmack
    Expand Collapse

I've had a few people ask to add skins, You're absolutely welcome to but currently they are not going to work perfectly with creased body parts. They will get distorted and have chunks missing. If anyone knows the easiest and most intuitive way to make new .dds files for new parts, such that others can easily make skins for these new files, feel free to message me.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. NoDakSmack

NoDakSmack
    Expand Collapse

Hey all, thanks for being patient with the next update! Burnside update is nearly finished but we want to get built compatibility with Fairgrounds Demolition Derby Mod in the next update.

With that being said, which vehicle would you like to see updated next?
    https://www.strawpoll.me/17673217

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crash77

Crash77
    Expand Collapse

Love the new Burnside body! Any chance of a Moonhawk wagon or any other body-type add-ons? Keep up the good work!

10. NoDakSmack

NoDakSmack
    Expand Collapse

Burnside Update is live! Lots of new parts and tweaks to this car, I've been working on it ever since release. Check the resource for changelog. There is also a new wagon body, but it's a WIP still!

Yep, moonhawk will be revisited in the future. Body creasing needs to be redone anyway.

Attached Files:

• 20190228191613_1.jpg
    • 20190410014830_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  11. thunderdog394

thunderdog394
    Expand Collapse

#WeWantCompacts #WeWantChevyCavaliers

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NoDakSmack

NoDakSmack
    Expand Collapse

To anyone having issues with the burnside not moving still, I'm working on figuring out the issue. A current workaround for another user was to rebuild the car and resave it. In the meantime, have an update pic of a MASSIVELY improved Grand Marshal (seriously, this thing is so much better now)

Attached Files:

• 20190503031419_1.jpg
    • 20190503031510_1.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

Is this american cars only?
    I reckon the miramar could stand a fighting chance in a derby, along with the new pessima

14. NoDakSmack

NoDakSmack
    Expand Collapse

My current focus is getting all the fullsize cars done to a high quality first. I don't want to start on compacts until fullsize is done because there are so many compacts, it will take much longer.

New bugs may have been introduced to the BURNSIDE and MOONHAWK with the 0.16 patch. Let me know if either of these cars stopped working for you

Tabbing out and back in May break/fix these issues

#14 NoDakSmack, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Mathew Reynolds

Mathew Reynolds
    Expand Collapse

hi all, cracking mod, just one small problem
    when trying to acces the menus, it used to bring up a drop down with all the option (eg: all the cars in a list) but now it just flickers and I can only select it with the cursor keys which is annoying!! any help would be brilliant ..thanks

16. NoDakSmack

NoDakSmack
    Expand Collapse

I already PM'd you, but for anyone else that came here looking for a temporary solution, this is part of Fairgrounds Derby mod by bidwars, not mine, but you can still select options in the dropdown menus by clicking it and using arrows to change the option. We're aware and working on it though :)

17. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

The suspension is too bumpy, the wheel bounce to the air most of the time, making driving really slow and loss of traction, please increase damping value.

18. NoDakSmack

NoDakSmack
    Expand Collapse

Next update :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blasty

Blasty
    Expand Collapse

The wagon must have the same file name as the Burnside wagon mod. Would you change it, please?

20. NoDakSmack

NoDakSmack
    Expand Collapse

Oh whoops, I’ll check on that

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice